Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The inversion table is on tonight's overnight show. All I've heard off the gym bloke and Reg Varney (apart from the dickhead shouting "Whoohoo! every 20 seconds) is the so called benefits. Neither has mentioned that any benefits on this piece of crap are temporary, neither have they mentioned that the risks far outweigh the benefits, especially in people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, brittle bones, reflux, etc (ie, most of the target demographic of shopping telly). I get that they exaggerate some products and push lower end brands as higher than they are but pushing a scam like this (and the vibrating wobble boards they sit on which also have no positive effect on health or fitness) is absolutely sickening. No true professional personal trainer or doctor would have either of these items in their house. They should be taken off air for selling it.
Oh and Varney is still telling you to add more products on to your openpay bill putting you in even more debt.

Oh and Varney is still telling you to add more products on to your openpay bill putting you in even more debt.

He caught himself out a few nights back. He was making a valid point about people perhaps not wanting to spend any money at present i.e. in these uncertain times. Thanks for your understanding Paul. Then, literally in the next sentence, he was saying 'this product is only £20 per flexi.' Then as you say, he was doing the usual trick of 'add this for just another £5 on your flexi payment' etc etc. Ah ... so you 'do' want us to spend £££ even if we maybe don't have to? And for a second I thought you were a genuine human being ;)

Had to laugh at Peter on a coffee machine show the other night. The 'expert' … who funnily enough is also their keep fit 'expert' … was saying something about the importance of using quality coffee beans. Fair enough. Then Peter, perched on a bar type stool like a 70's crooner, turned to the camera, engaged his serious/sincere face and tone, saying:

whether from (he mentioned a country, although I'm not sure they're known for their coffee beans)
or from …... (he paused, obviously struggling to think of another coffee bean country, so he said …)
the Isles ...

The Isles? THE ISLES?!? What Isles exactly?!?!?

Then he just went into his default drivel, you know the sort of stuff, 'whether bean from dale or bean from the heaths, this exemplar machine, this marvel of technical compliance and history of excitement of design ...'

And as for that twit Mike doing his thing of adding up phone components in monetary terms, ARGH!!!!

'This has got a 6" screen, so what you finking? £150 for that?
And it has a quad core processor, so what you finking? £300 for that?
It also has a 40 megapixel camera, so what you finking? £200 for that?
Oh yeah and did I mention the 15 megapixel selfie camera? So what you finking? £100 for that?
And it's 5G ready. So what you finking? £200 for that?
And it has 128GB storage and 4GB RAM. So what you finking? £150 for that?

So we're already at £1,100, right? And you're finking yeah, reasonable price for a phone with those features, right?!? We're doing it for ... are you ready ... THIS!'

At which point the price of £250 pops up on the screen. It was always a £250 product Mike. Just imagine if something like a car was promoted/sold that way. A middle of the range Ford Fiesta would have a 'parts combined' price of £40k :)

Peter was on good form today with Elizabeth Grant.
When it came to the highly suspicious back story of the bomb blast ,Peter suddenly claimed that 'Charles' the 'inventor' was in fact ' ….. a doctor and a professor!'
That's new isn't it Pete ?

Thought i would have a look at garden show this morning but have had to give up cannot handle listening to H Green my god her gob goes ten to the dozen imagine living with her i would not last a day.

Peter was on good form today with Elizabeth Grant.
When it came to the highly suspicious back story of the bomb blast ,Peter suddenly claimed that 'Charles' the 'inventor' was in fact ' ….. a doctor and a professor!'
That's new isn't it Pete ?

Stop telling us we're getting a bargain. Do you not realise, if anything it devalues the brand to the consumer if you constantly show a price of £299.99 when you're selling it for £39.99. What the consumer is getting is a product that is correctly priced at £39.99. I'm not saying it's rubbish, I'm not saying it's not just as good as creams priced 10 times more. However rightly or wrongly, those more expensive products command that price due to their history, good marketing over the decades and ensuring their products are stocked in major retailers or, for the top tier products, high end stores only.

When I Google Elizabeth Grant, all you see in terms of retailers are IW, Amazon and Ebay sellers. Oh and their own website, which of course has higher prices. If it is sold elsewhere I apologise.

What IW, QVC etc won't tell you about is the studies that show a basic good quality moisturiser will often give the same results. No, they try to promote the need for a morning cream, a midday cream, an afternoon cream, an evening cream and a nighttime cream. I'd hazard a guess these are pretty much the same creams with a few ingredients added/removed to tweak them enough to satisfy consumer laws.

'And this one has the added benefit of new hydro-elastic hyper-flex protein-mineral flaxi waxi baxi flake technology.'

Tell me this, if all these pills and potions do what they say, why don't all the brand ambassadors, experts and presenters all look awesome for their age? Because they all swear by them, don't they? Without naming names, there's a guy that flogs pills on IW and one of the benefits is hair growth. However I'm pretty sure he's had a hair transplant! And there's a brand ambassador for beauty creams that has a face tighter than a drum!

Jeez consumers, wake up and smell the coffee! You know, the coffee that has beans originating from 'The Isles' ... :)

Stop telling us we're getting a bargain. Do you not realise, if anything it devalues the brand to the consumer if you constantly show a price of £299.99 when you're selling it for £39.99. What the consumer is getting is a product that is correctly priced at £39.99. I'm not saying it's rubbish, I'm not saying it's not just as good as creams priced 10 times more. However rightly or wrongly, those more expensive products command that price due to their history, good marketing over the decades and ensuring their products are stocked in major retailers or, for the top tier products, high end stores only.

When I Google Elizabeth Grant, all you see in terms of retailers are IW, Amazon and Ebay sellers. Oh and their own website, which of course has higher prices. If it is sold elsewhere I apologise.

What IW, QVC etc won't tell you about is the studies that show a basic good quality moisturiser will often give the same results. No, they try to promote the need for a morning cream, a midday cream, an afternoon cream, an evening cream and a nighttime cream. I'd hazard a guess these are pretty much the same creams with a few ingredients added/removed to tweak them enough to satisfy consumer laws.

'And this one has the added benefit of new hydro-elastic hyper-flex protein-mineral flaxi waxi baxi flake technology.'

Tell me this, if all these pills and potions do what they say, why don't all the brand ambassadors, experts and presenters all look awesome for their age? Because they all swear by them, don't they? Without naming names, there's a guy that flogs pills on IW and one of the benefits is hair growth. However I'm pretty sure he's had a hair transplant! And there's a brand ambassador for beauty creams that has a face tighter than a drum!

Jeez consumers, wake up and smell the coffee! You know, the coffee that has beans originating from 'The Isles' ... :)

Agree with all your post, but this part highlights something which strikes a cord with me, especially when watching Dormeo shows. Firstly, I have no idea how good Dormeo is, don't own one, so not commenting on quality. But just their prices alone would deter me from being a potential future customer. The reason being is when I watch the shows, I don't get the feeling of hey, this is a great bargain IW are giving, instead I get the impression that Dormeo are ripping off those customers that buy Mattresses direct from their web site. Neither IW nor Dormeo will be making a loss on these sales, which mean the wholesale price of these products will be less than IW are selling at. It would mean that Dormeo's prices on their web site have, in some cases, a massive mark up from what must be the cost price. One thing I have noticed with Dormeo's site is they have continual sales, and the mattresses on air with IW aren't in their sale at the same time. They remind me of all these dubious watch brands and their ridiculous RRPs, and like your example, I feel puts more people off than actually attracts, well definately puts me off anyway.

Was watching the Swift garden stuff earlier, and Alan Ennis was talking about the grass trimmer and the different options for cutting, nylon blades or the nylon lines, he himself prefers to use the nylon lines blah blah. At this point Mason interrupts to give an update on the lawn mower stock and how the 37cm was the most popular, Alan replies, he doesn't have a garden himself but that size does seem popular with folks cutting their grass.
Me thinking to myself, if you ain't got a garden, how can you prefer to use the nylon lines, instead of the blades, on the trimmer?

And now it's the two numpties with the Beldray.

Agree with all your post, but this part highlights something which strikes a cord with me, especially when watching Dormeo shows. Firstly, I have no idea how good Dormeo is, don't own one, so not commenting on quality. But just their prices alone would deter me from being a potential future customer. The reason being is when I watch the shows, I don't get the feeling of hey, this is a great bargain IW are giving, instead I get the impression that Dormeo are ripping off those customers that buy Mattresses direct from their web site. Neither IW nor Dormeo will be making a loss on these sales, which mean the wholesale price of these products will be less than IW are selling at. It would mean that Dormeo's prices on their web site have, in some cases, a massive mark up from what must be the cost price. One thing I have noticed with Dormeo's site is they have continual sales, and the mattresses on air with IW aren't in their sale at the same time. They remind me of all these dubious watch brands and their ridiculous RRPs, and like your example, I feel puts more people off than actually attracts, well definately puts me off anyway.

The whole retail sector (well maybe not but a significant chunk of it) has got itself into a right pickle over RRPs, pricing and 'sales.' I watched a tv prog a few years back on this, went into the science and human reaction to all this stuff, was quite interesting. It featured a furniture store that had been open for decades. The grandson, now running the store, recalled stories his grandad told about pricing. Each stock item had a price. That remained its price. Then maybe twice a year they held a (genuine) sale where prices of some stock items were reduced, usually to make way for new lines.

Then, in more recent times, larger furniture stores (usually part of a chain) started to open. They didn't seem to follow the traditional approach. Rather, they seemed to have more and more 'sales' and the independent store struggled to compete. Long story short, it was a case of if you can't beat them join them. So the independent store started to artificially mark its stock items up in price then 'dropped' the price in the increasing amount of 'sales' they held. Whilst this worked i.e. they stayed in business, the owner lamented that RRPs, original price, sale price etc now effectively meant very little. I think he used the example of a sofa selling in a sale for £399. It had been on sale in the store at an (artificially higher) price for a short period (e.g. £799) so people thought they were getting 50% off. However, in reality, it was always a £399 product.

It's all smoke and mirrors these days, including the small print of 'sold at the higher price for the period ...' to keep themselves within consumer law. Many retailers seem to have one year long 'sale.' It's a shame caused it's taken everything away from what a genuine sale should be. These days, I say forget the RRP, forget the 'was sold at' price, forget the 'sale' price and concentrate on whatever figure you're actually paying. If it's a reasonable price to you as the consumer, happy days :)

The whole retail sector (well maybe not but a significant chunk of it) has got itself into a right pickle over RRPs, pricing and 'sales.' I watched a tv prog a few years back on this, went into the science and human reaction to all this stuff, was quite interesting. It featured a furniture store that had been open for decades. The grandson, now running the store, recalled stories his grandad told about pricing. Each stock item had a price. That remained its price. Then maybe twice a year they held a (genuine) sale where prices of some stock items were reduced, usually to make way for new lines.

Then, in more recent times, larger furniture stores (usually part of a chain) started to open. They didn't seem to follow the traditional approach. Rather, they seemed to have more and more 'sales' and the independent store struggled to compete. Long story short, it was a case of if you can't beat them join them. So the independent store started to artificially mark its stock items up in price then 'dropped' the price in the increasing amount of 'sales' they held. Whilst this worked i.e. they stayed in business, the owner lamented that RRPs, original price, sale price etc now effectively meant very little. I think he used the example of a sofa selling in a sale for £399. It had been on sale in the store at an (artificially higher) price for a short period (e.g. £799) so people thought they were getting 50% off. However, in reality, it was always a £399 product.

It's all smoke and mirrors these days, including the small print of 'sold at the higher price for the period ...' to keep themselves within consumer law. Many retailers seem to have one year long 'sale.' It's a shame caused it's taken everything away from what a genuine sale should be. These days, I say forget the RRP, forget the 'was sold at' price, forget the 'sale' price and concentrate on whatever figure you're actually paying. If it's a reasonable price to you as the consumer, happy days :)

That brings back memories.

I worked for a few years (back in 82-85) in a department store, now closed, started selling Living room furniture, then beds, and finally ended Carpet dept. The beds and carpets were slightly different, the margins weren’t so big, just using rough figures cause it was a long time ago, but for say an average 3 piece Suite usually the RRP was double the wholesale/cost price. We used to add approx. 50% so if a suite cost us £500 (RRP £1000) we’d sell at £750, but then you would get customers coming asking if you give a discount for cash, explain we don’t work that way we just offer a cheaper price to start with, they would respond by saying another store was offering 20% off for cash. I asked, but what was their price before the discount, £1000. I said but we’re still cheaper than them even with their discount. But for some strange reason, some customers just couldn’t be convinced, they just wanted their discount.

When it came to sales, we didn’t have many, we tried to have good prices all the time, but obviously at certain times you needed to make space for new stock/new ranges, but for customers the sight of a sale ticket on an item, then customers were convinced they were getting a bargain, even if they weren’t. And another strange thing, when we had something that just wouldn’t sell, even with a reduced price, the buyer for the dept would just stick a Sold sign on it and suddenly customers wanted it and could we get more, very strange.

Another watch show and the usual nonsense, different presenter and guest, same crap.;)

Sean – “For anybody that doesn’t know about this brand (CCCP), give us a few headlines”

Jim Crawley – “It’s a real rich history of Russian watch making, it originated in the early 1900s by Alexander Shorokhoff, and he wanted to celebrate the former Soviet Union’s, art, mathematics, design, architecture and he was affiliated with the second Moscow watchmaking factory, in Moscow. And it was synonymous with the Slava watch movement, which has now become a collector’s piece, blah blah.”

Let’s play along a bit with Jim Crawley’s story, and let’s just say Alexander Shorokhoff was about to start the CCCP brand in 1924 to celebrate the former Soviet Union’s achievements. Ok so far.

So in Jim Crawley’s world, in 1924 Alexander Shorokhoff (born in 1960) started the CCCP brand in Moscow (actually started in Germany in the 1990s), because he wanted to celebrate the former Soviet Union's achievements, even though in 1924 the Soviet Union wouldn’t become a former for another 67 years.
That really makes sense Jim, really glad you’re here to keep us straight with your expert knowledge of the CCCP watch brand. Have a feeling Jim's been reading too much HG Wells during the lockdown.:ROFLMAO:

Back in the real world

CCCP brand never originated in 1924, nor is it Russian or Russian made, some of their watches contain a Russian movement, but that’s it. It was a German based brand started by Alexander Shorokhoff in the 90s, which he sold a few years back to Chinese Company and is now based in Hong Kong.

1924 is the actual date, Jim Crawley is on about, it’s when The Slava Watch Factory opened (also known as Second Moscow Watch factory), but Alexander Shorokhoff wasn’t born till 1960 so had nothing to do with its origins, nor was he affiliated to it, in fact he went to Germany in the 80s to learn about free-market economy, started by selling Poljot watches (Brand of the First Moscow Watch Company). While there he then set up his own company “Alexander Shorokhoff watch manufacture" to make his own brands Poljot International, CCCP etc.;)

That brings back memories.

I worked for a few years (back in 82-85) in a department store, now closed, started selling Living room furniture, then beds, and finally ended Carpet dept. The beds and carpets were slightly different, the margins weren’t so big, just using rough figures cause it was a long time ago, but for say an average 3 piece Suite usually the RRP was double the wholesale/cost price. We used to add approx. 50% so if a suite cost us £500 (RRP £1000) we’d sell at £750, but then you would get customers coming asking if you give a discount for cash, explain we don’t work that way we just offer a cheaper price to start with, they would respond by saying another store was offering 20% off for cash. I asked, but what was their price before the discount, £1000. I said but we’re still cheaper than them even with their discount. But for some strange reason, some customers just couldn’t be convinced, they just wanted their discount.

When it came to sales, we didn’t have many, we tried to have good prices all the time, but obviously at certain times you needed to make space for new stock/new ranges, but for customers the sight of a sale ticket on an item, then customers were convinced they were getting a bargain, even if they weren’t. And another strange thing, when we had something that just wouldn’t sell, even with a reduced price, the buyer for the dept would just stick a Sold sign on it and suddenly customers wanted it and could we get more, very strange.

Interesting post and yes, majority of consumers are seduced by massive red 'sale' signs, almost blinding some to the financial facts behind their purchase. A few years back my mum bought some furniture from a retailer known for selling products made from oak, I won't name them but you can probably guess. It became a running joke with us because every few weeks she would get a text saying 'quick, act now, it's our <insert marketing word/time of year word here> sale!!!' :)

Latest posts

Back