Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We now have a prime example of a man who doesn’t practice what he preaches. Has a central heating system in his own home. Speaks vehemently against central heating systems in your homes as a sales pitch to encourage you to buy a fan heater he chooses not to employ in his own domestic situation. Oh…the grand hypocrisy of it all.

If only the Plinkety Plonkety music was up for sale…And now…underpowered Guantanamo Bay finger nail extractors. Even the boxes are cheap and nasty..
I'll put my hand up and say i've Shazammed some their plinky plonky music and surprisingly Shazam recognised one or two tracks they play.

Now saying children don’t feel the cold like we do… Right…Leave the little bleeders to freeze in their bedrooms while mum and dad huddle up in front of the fan heater in the front room, then.
Well I used to. Grew up in the 1950s and had coal fire 🔥 in the sitting room. Bedrooms had gas fires that were lit for about an hour before bedtime. No double glazing either. Thick blankets, an eiderdown and hot water bottle to keep warm. Many a time in the winter you’d wake up with ice inside the window. I was in my late teens before we moved to a fully central heated house and fitted carpets.

In my parents’ two bedroom council flat in north east London, as a small child in the later 1960s, I remember how cold it was there during the winter months. No central heating installed in the block until the late 1970s. Until then we relied on a gas fire in the front room, and in my room, a two bar metal framed electric fire with a corded flex from the 1950s that was plugged into a socket which droplets of water covered the front of. The insides of the windows in my bedroom froze when it was really cold. No thick duvets - just a thin eiderdown over a bedspread and a sheet below it. I cried with the cold in there. As a special treat, Mum would lay an electric blanket on my bed if it was really freezing. Otherwise, you put up with what you had.

My mum used to put a couple of hot water bottles in my bed for a while before me getting in. Always had plenty of blankets on the bed, and they were tucked in tightly to keep the heat in. I loved trying a duvet for the first time when I was much older, it felt so luxurious.

When I was young (70s/80s) we had a coal fire in the lounge with back boiler behind that fed a single radiator in the dining room.

No heating elsewhere in the house and like others have said the single glazed windows would regularly freeze inside in winter.

Later we had the luxury of a plug in fan heater or convector heater to try and take the chill off, then the coal fire was replaced by a gas fire.

Last edited:
My mum used to put a couple of hot water bottles in my bed for a while before me getting in. Always had plenty of blankets on the bed, and they were tucked in tightly to keep the heat in. I loved trying a duvet for the first time when I was much older, it felt so luxurious.
My gran used to do that in my bed. But she would use the old glass ones

Latest posts

Back