Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bit pongy in there today…Probably all the mispronounced BS flying through the air…

IMG_1432.jpeg

£25.20 for two boxes of boiled sweets. Who pays these extortionate prices?

Don't forget P&P on top.

I'd hope they were big boxes or very exceptional contents.

Edit - Just looked, less than 600g a box. Nothing unusual in them either. I'd say £1.50 or less per bag in most stores. Just a quick look, B&M £1.00 a bag, so £3.00 for the selection of three.

Just this week I have purchased a 1KG tub of Halloween spooky jelly mix from Lidl, £5.99 and a 1.3KG spaghetti jar made by Jelly Bean Factory, anything up to £20 normally and I paid under £7.

Anybody who spends £33 on Veg for Christmas needs to take a look at themselves

I assume plenty must buy overpriced Christmas foods & snacks, the shop are always well stocked with it. We have been conditioned to think we must have this, that and t'other during the festivities.

The trouble is that they often remove other food lines to make space, reducing choice for anyone looking to buy regular items.

Last edited:
Don't forget P&P on top.

Edit - Just looked, less than 600g a box. Nothing unusual in them either. I'd say £1.50 or less per bag in most stores. Just a quick look, B&M £1.00 a bag, so £3.00 for the selection of three.

Just this week I have purchased a 1KG tub of Halloween spooky jelly mix from Lidl, £5.99 and a 1.3KG spaghetti jar made by Jelly Bean Factory, anything up to £20 normally and I paid under £7.

I assume plenty must buy overpriced Christmas foods & snacks, the shop are always well stocked with it. We have been conditioned to think we must have this, that and t'other during the festivities.

The trouble is that they often remove other food lines to make space, reducing choice for anyone looking to buy regular items.
My dad tells my mum every year, the shops reopen the day after Boxing Day

My dad tells my mum every year, the shops reopen the day after Boxing Day

True, no reason to stockpile beforehand. Not like when I was young and some independent shops were closed between Christmas and New Year, so you had to buy plenty. Mind you we also had to put up with Turkey this and Turkey that for days afterwards.

Don't forget P&P on top.

The hampers are usually around at my local market and they end up being quite expensive, you could purchase the individual items cheaper. You do get a nice basket so I suppose as a gift, it has the presentation

Don't forget P&P on top.

Although QVC's food wares are ridiculously over-priced — to me, anyway — their sales technique isn't pushy about it. They're not pretending there's a pricing error, urging viewers to check out their baskets quickly, "suggesting" you buy the grub and sell it on to trade at the book price to make a few bob, insisting it won't be back in stock, this is a market beating price, one bite of the pie will make disabled dogs walk again…

Silly money for food ( as someone else said, a lot of xmas hampers at food fares and markets and stuff aren't cheap either, lots of artisan/small producer fare is because of the economy of scale) but it's all very self-congratulatory and I don't find myself too bothered by it. The average QVC viewer does tend to be more a more 'comfortable sort' who wouldn't think twice at spending £30 for small bag of sweets.

It's not like IW3 imploring OAPs worried about fuel costs to multi-buy an over-priced no-brand fan heater that guzzles electricity because Pedro says an "arctic winter" is on the way and these will "sell out" and you won't be able to get them for love nor money…

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back