Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You wonder what the real him is like behind the scenes? I suspect he is a nasty, irritable old bugger. But others say he is a really nice person…

Apparently he's very friendly, personable, gets to know the behind the scenes staff, knows people's names, etc. I can believe that. His "I'm going to hell, I am" and "I knew they wouldn't sell... they're sick of seeing them, I reckon" hot-mic moments show he is more than aware he's… flogging things that aren't are wonderful as he claims.

So his "telling it like it is" is actually just him acting, saying whatever needs to be said. The award-winning 'Peter Simon' is just a character role he plays, basically.

On the flip, the real Pedro underneath clearly has a high opinion of his "talent" and its value, which belies ego.

I always thought the fact he didn't jump ship to Shop Extra when the rest did showed that. He clearly sees himself as THE star, likely demanded an above average level of pay, wanted prime-time slots, agreement for his "intros" etc.

He didn't appear desperate (and his place is cushy, has a nice car, he isn't broke) so made the shopping channels 'chase' him and persuade him to work for them. Elsewhere, the likes of Hayley were sharing showreels online to scout for work. AIUI, TJC's owners had to have several lunches with Pedro (and Mike of the Masons, prior to IW3 coming back) to woo him into joining.

That's ego.

Last edited:
"I was also thinking of asking about PTFE, cool handles, induction hobs, to see if anyone had any more of a clue than the clueless Mark & Simon on screen."

I'm certain the customer service would have told you - "not only are they pans, not only do they have handles. not only for cooking, for simmering, for boiling, they are a delight."

But can they be used on induction hobs? "Just ave a buy. Multi-buy, four flexis, The best advice we can give you is to check out your basket as quick as possible. Well done if you got them.
I believe with their customer service Irish brogues, they'd have said "ahhh, t'be sure, you'll be getting a fine pot and pan set there Sir, nothing to worry about, it has everything you'll need for your spuds and Irish stew, trust me, me' old fella'..."

Ovthemasons is ending his holiday habit of always buying a new "fragrance" at duty free and is going to take a tenner bottle of Ideal World scent on his holibags 😂😂😂 I bet Dirty Peter told him "just ave a buy"
Tell him he can get similar in Poundland. For £1, this right up his chuff:

Apparently he's very friendly, personable, gets to know the behind the scenes staff, etc. I can believe that. His "I'm going to hell" and "I knew they wouldn't sell... they're sick of seeing them, I reckon" hot-mic moments show he is aware he's… flogging things that aren't are wonderful as he claims - but acting, saying whatever needs to be said, pays the bills.

On the flip, he clearly has a somewhat high opinion of his "talent" and its value.

I always thought the fact he didn't jump ship to Shop Extra when the rest did said a bit about that. He sees himself as a star, will demand an above average level of pay, wants prime-time slots, and didn't appear desperate, leaving it to the shopping channels to 'chase' him. IIRC, TJC's owners had several lunches with him (and with Mike of the Masons, prior to IW3 coming back).

That's ego, surely.
I agree he thinks he’s the star,

Ovdamasons is currently shaving the inside of fleece with a lint remover 😂 - and you can choose which colour! Just ring the call centre, they will take your order.
They're flying out - is that the remover or the bits of lint?

PS. People keep asking him if there's any fans left. Great news gang - there is!

Apparently he's very friendly, personable, gets to know the behind the scenes staff, etc. I can believe that. His "I'm going to hell, I am" and "I knew they wouldn't sell... they're sick of seeing them, I reckon" hot-mic moments show he is more than aware he's… flogging things that aren't are wonderful as he claims. So he's acting, saying whatever needs to be said.

On the flip, he clearly has a somewhat high opinion of his "talent" and its value, which belies ego.

I always thought the fact he didn't jump ship to Shop Extra when the rest did showed that. He clearly sees himself as THE star, likely demanded an above average level of pay, wants prime-time slots, etc.

He didn't appear desperate, and left it to the shopping channels to 'chase' him and him persuade him to work for them. IIRC, TJC's owners had several lunches with him (and with Mike of the Masons, prior to IW3 coming back).

That's ego.
Interesting. I can imagine him being a ‘nice guy’ along with him being an old cu…,too. Sums him up really. An enigma. A right old set of contradictions. Seeing saying any old sh…to punters as a requirement to sell and nothing personal meant. Totally detached from the actual retail processes. ‘Peter Simon’ being yet another acting role, essentially. A la Lorraine Kelly - the Character…That said - that implosion/explosion outburst with the vitriolic collateral damage those few years back shows there IS another side to him not often internationally seen.

This ‘It’s a Mistake’ wrong price routine has got to be stopped by the ASA. It is sickening to watch. Let me tell you: the only time they ever have made a mistake with a too low a price on a screen graphic, it is removed quicker than you can say CONNING PEOPLE.
It's a new gameshow, The Price is Wrong, come on down.. ave a buy

Interesting. I can imagine him being a ‘nice guy’ along with him being an old cu…,too. Sums him up really. An enigma. A right old set of contradictions. Seeing saying any old sh…to punters as a requirement to sell and nothing personal meant. Totally detached from the actual retail processes. ‘Peter Simon’ being yet another acting role, essentially. A la Lorraine Kelly - the Character…That said - that implosion/explosion outburst with the vitriolic collateral damage those few years back shows there IS another side to him not often internationally seen.
Yeah she said on her morning show she plays a character

I imagine him off-screen as a cross between Joe Lycett, Steve Allen (long-time LBC radio presenter, before being allegedly sacked for allegedly more offensive catty comments on Z-celebs) and Alan Carr.
i.e. friendly, chatty, social, caustic, bitchy, two-faced, catty and pleasant! 😀

Or a bi-polar manic depressive with a split personality disorder, one person on screen and a quiet recluse rattling around his large house with clippings from yesteryear and panto posters on the wall, with his partner and cat.

Offthemasons has one of these power adaptors in his front room!!!
It's absolutely brilliant and he means absolutely brilliant!
He's now predicting three-pin plugs will become obsolete! He was an electrician!

This is nonsense off the scale!
I hold my hands up - I bought one of those adaptors when they were on sale a couple of months ago! It is very useful, especially for rapid charging of my phone.

I imagine him off-screen as a cross between Joe Lycett, Steve Allen (long-time LBC radio presenter, before being allegedly sacked for allegedly more offensive catty comments on Z-celebs) and Alan Carr.
i.e. friendly, chatty, social, caustic, bitchy, two-faced, catty and pleasant! 😀
You mean, not only is he friendly, not only is he chatty, not only is he caustic, not only is his bitchy..........is he flexi?

I hold my hands up - I bought one of those adaptors when they were on sale a couple of months ago! It is very useful, especially for rapid charging of my phone.
it actually looks reasonable - compared to the tidal wave of tat they flog......but OfMasons being an electrician? Him buying one? He buys so much, his house must look like an IW warehouse

Or a bi-polar manic depressive with a split personality disorder, one person on screen and a quiet recluse rattling around his large house with clippings from yesteryear and panto posters on the wall, with his partner and cat.
Not forgetting Josh, his Labrador.

Yeah, exactly that.

Hence the variations: the poor, broke, lonely, old Pedro who lives in a damp hovel, no heating, so he's "gonna buy this" after the show, and the fighting fit Pedro who lives with Bet and Josh and has lunches with the stars of yester year, and already owns and swears by whatever he's selling on Ideal World.

There's no consistency to his stories because it's all just fiction — a role he's cast to play. And having been a (almost bit-part) presenter oon various low-budget TV shows in the late 80s and early 90s, he'll have learned the importance of being NICE to the BTS staff - today's runner is tomorrow's producer.

But as you say, the outbursts and hot-mic moments are when we do hear the real Pedro, telling it like it is, not acting or playing a role. He's a bit irascible, a tad bigoted, has an inflated ego and sense of 'respect' owed because of his amazing talent/career, but he does at least appear to (now) possess some awareness at how iffy flogging utter tat is.

Whereas Mike? Yeah, that's not a role he's playing. He's like that 24/7, and presumably doesn't give a moments thought to the 'ethics' of his selling routine. A sale is a sale, punters are morons. Next!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back