Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks for that, I'll take a look shortly. Otherwise all I can say is PHENOMENAL.
Found the YT feed for SoTV. Mostly looks like same usual suspects from IW2 & IW3. At least appear to be showing a wider range of stuff and not spending ages on one item.

Do we really need another shopping channel selling tat?

IW3, Shop on TV, Seen on TV as well as QVC. They are all aiming at the same retreating target audience, or slightly varying sections of it. Is there a demand for this?
So it occurred to me that since COVID, there are now 800,000 'economically inactive' people, 600,000 of whom left the workforce, according to recent accounts during the election news coverage.

That's a lot more people sat at home some of the time and a new potential captive audience for TV shopping channels to tap into.

They're not all on benefits so may have cash to spend, some have retired early or re-prioritised.

And shopping habits have changed and home delivery is more the norm, so TV shopping is just another home shopping experience, online via TV websites too.

Maybe this explains the new and burgeoning TV shopping channels market; they're having a renaissance?!

Last edited:
Found the YT feed for SoTV. Mostly looks like same usual suspects from IW2 & IW3. At least appear to be showing a wider range of stuff and not spending ages on one item.
Just to point out we have a clash now with ShoponTV and SeenonTV both abbreviated as 'SoTV'.

So ShoTV and SeoTV may be a solution?

So it occurred to me that since COVID, there are now 800,000 'economically inactive' people, 600,000 of whom left the workforce, according to recent accounts during the election news coverage.

That's a lot more people sat at home some of the time and a new potential captive audience for TV shopping channels to tap into.

They're not all on benefits so may have cash to spend, some have retired early or re-prioritised.

And shopping habits have changed and home delivery is more the norm, so TV shopping is just another home shopping experience, online via TV websites too.

Maybe this explains the new and burgeoning TV shopping channels market; they're having a renaissance?!

I'm one that left work early 6 months before Covid (officially an oap in a few months), I know at least 6 others that have left my old work early since me, and NONE of them, nor me, buy from shopping TV and i'm the only one that actually watches any selly telly, the folks i know didn't leave work to sit at home watch selly telly they left work to live life while they can, so i doubt there is many of those 600,000 will be avid selly telly viewers or cuustomers. And strangely, apart from you guys here, i don't know anyone that watches selly telly, oh apart from some on the watch forum that watch the watch shows for a laugh.

But will the new channels last. We've already seen the demise of Ideal Shopping Direct, Ideal World, Shop Extra in the last few years, obviously some have confidence they can make a go of it, but there is no guarentee.

We have 3 newish channels, although one is really just a rebrand of an existing channel using a defunct channels name, TJC Beauty renamed as Ideal World, no way this second coming of Ideal World will match the sales of it's original, but will probably last as TJC have a formula that seems to work, sell loads affordable tat. Shop on TV, well no guarentee that will last, second chance for Jamie Martin to set up a retailer to compete with Amazon, we all how his first effort failed, resulting in the demise of Ideal Shopping Direct, which in turn left the remaining Ideal World mortally wounded. Seen on TV, who knows, early days, similar types of products to old Ideal World, similar faces, similar fate?

Although their presentations are slightly different, there is one unmistakable likeness to Shop on Tv, Seen on Tv and the late Shop extra, they all feel like a regurgitated version of Ideal Shopping Direct, like a revolving door of failed management/production staff/presenters/guests as one channel folds lets just start up a new one and off we go again. Yeah seems like quite a few folks think there is money to be made in selly telly, start a channel, say we do things differently, have a meaningless slogan and voila hordes will come shopping and we'll be a huge success, sorry but i don't see it.

I'm one that left work early 6 months before Covid (officially an oap in a few months), I know at least 6 others that have left my old work early since me, and NONE of them, nor me, buy from shopping TV and i'm the only one that actually watches any selly telly, the folks i know didn't leave work to sit at home watch selly telly they left work to live life while they can, so i doubt there is many of those 600,000 will be avid selly telly viewers or cuustomers. And strangely, apart from you guys here, i don't know anyone that watches selly telly, oh apart from some on the watch forum that watch the watch shows for a laugh.

But will the new channels last. We've already seen the demise of Ideal Shopping Direct, Ideal World, Shop Extra in the last few years, obviously some have confidence they can make a go of it, but there is no guarentee.

We have 3 newish channels, although one is really just a rebrand of an existing channel using a defunct channels name, TJC Beauty renamed as Ideal World, no way this second coming of Ideal World will match the sales of it's original, but will probably last as TJC have a formula that seems to work, sell loads affordable tat. Shop on TV, well no guarentee that will last, second chance for Jamie Martin to set up a retailer to compete with Amazon, we all how his first effort failed, resulting in the demise of Ideal Shopping Direct, which in turn left the remaining Ideal World mortally wounded. Seen on TV, who knows, early days, similar types of products to old Ideal World, similar faces, similar fate?

Although their presentations are slightly different, there is one unmistakable likeness to Shop on Tv, Seen on Tv and the late Shop extra, they all feel like a regurgitated version of Ideal Shopping Direct, like a revolving door of failed management/production staff/presenters/guests as one channel folds lets just start up a new one and off we go again. Yeah seems like quite a few folks think there is money to be made in selly telly, start a channel, say we do things differently, have a meaningless slogan and voila hordes will come shopping and we'll be a huge success, sorry but i don't see it.
Alex Knowles and Simon Lles seem very determined though

Something I noticed the other day which I find sneaky and wonder if it is even legal. They are using the Comparison Price (with a line through it) above the actual price instead of Usual price. This implies that the price has been slashed or cut to become the price they are offering it for. There is no citation for where they found this comparison price. Now if had been a few quid more previously you wouldn't think much of it. But they are plucking £549.99 out of their arse vs the £99.99 they are actually asking. This is a huge supposed drop in price. I can't believe they are actually getting away with it. The comparison price must exist.

View attachment 28825

Technically it does exist, it's the price William Hunt sell at, although it's a ridiculously high price for what your getting and anybody buying at that price is a mug, even the £99 that IW charge is overpriced.

Alex Knowles and Simon Lles seem very determined though

Pretty sure they are, but so was Jamie Martin at Ideal Shopping Direct, and Hamish Morjaria at Ideal World, and of course Val Kaye & Paul Wright twice at Ideal Shopping Direct and at Honchanda. Just because you're determined doesn't mean you'll succeed, especially in the cut throat retail world, the retail world is full of determined failures. ;)

I know when Peter talks about Comparsion prices, he does them so random

Yeah they've two types, one direct and one non-direct, of course the direct ones are always the over inflated, ridiculously high RRPs from the brand, the non direct ones are almost always anonymous as to where they come from. Both at the end of the day are meaningless and should be ignored by viewers/potential customers.

Pretty sure they are, but so was Jamie Martin at Ideal Shopping Direct, and Hamish Morjaria at Ideal World, and of course Val Kaye & Paul Wright twice at Ideal Shopping Direct and at Honchanda. Just because you're determined doesn't mean you'll succeed, especially in the cut throat retail world, the retail world is full of determined failures. ;)
Hamish Morjaria just let the company rot,

Hamish Morjaria just let the company rot,

It was rotten before he took over, I know some blame him but I think he was very naive in thinking he could make IW a success, he probably thought it was a new start for the Ideal World channel and he could turn it around, but in reality, although he didn't buy Ideal Shopping Direct and the responsibility for the debt they had, he had taken control off most of it's assets and staff, in effect he was left with the bulk of a loss making business and all that made it loss making, from day one of his reign it was losing money, it was doomed to failure, the damage had already been done by the previous owners and barring some miracle was never going to survive.

Which is why I'd love to know the quantities they shift and net profit per product.

Ok, I'll shut up on that now!

Latest posts

Back