Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for that very insightful contribution. I agree with very much all of what you’ve said. I also agree on John Campbell. He was one of the few food-related demonstrators on there ‘chef wise’ who made the presentations purely about the goods. He made it quite clear he was not bigger than the products he was working with, or more interesting. In fact, he was always very self-effacing about himself – unjustly, I thought, and frequently saying he wasn’t chef. Although he produced better than many other people who said they were.

Only thing what concerns me is, Since I had a stroke at 14, I have been protected by my family, and have always been warned giving out too much info, I don’t mind you lot calling me Emma as I know I can trust you.

I’m now 47, and even though i went through Rehab, I still have walking, some talking issues, and memory issues, My folks would probably stop me from using forums If I was honest with them.

Sorry it’s not shopping related but I had to let out my thoughts
Someone once said to me only put personal information about yourself on forums and social media that you'd be equally happy to put on a massive billboard in the centre of town. I think that's quite a good way to look at it.

I'm sorry to be the profit of doom, and I may well be wrong, however with the possible exception of QVC and maybe C&C and maybe one of the jewelry channels, I reckon all the others will close at some point over the coming years for all the reasons we've discussed previously. One of the main reasons for me is simple. Amazon. Ebay. Temu and so on. In almost all instances, the products IW sell can be found for a similar if not cheaper price online. So if it's cheaper on Amazon for example and you're in the habit of using Amazon, why the heck would you bother buying from a selly telly channel?

Sure selly telly as a concept might have a future if it finds its niche, however that doesn't mean they'll all survive.

And I get FED UP with guff like this (witnessed the other night):

Presenter speaking (or pretending to) someone behind the scenes.

How many sold Julie? (waits a few secs, raises eyebrows)
How many left Julie? (waits a few secs, cue shocked face)

Guys, these are FLYING out, get a wriggle on!

All the time never actually giving us quantity sold or remaining. Yes sometimes they do, I know that. So why not all the time?

Why are they doubling up on the graveyard shift? I don’t need to see Blodwyn again. I saw enough of her on the previous version to know I didn’t want to see her any more. Heather, on her own, I would watch.
Even more perplexing when the viewing figures are clearly very low but they're going to have to sell more as they're paying two lots of wages.

I did a fair bit of flicking last night, it was the same old same old products (Opatra, perfume, heaters, wraparound blankets etc.) that you see several times every day which Heather and Carys were selling. Can't imagine the orders were flooding in for those items...

Returning to cooking. Andy is in charge of all the air fryer cooking. There is no need for Ideal World to have a so-called chef. I am sure one of the presenters is capable of cooking. The only person I have seen is Jo, but the less said about, the better. I do have to mention the raw bacon she cooked upon that weird 3 in 1 breakfast machine they keep flogging.

And I get FED UP with guff like this (witnessed the other night):

Presenter speaking (or pretending to) someone behind the scenes.

How many sold Julie? (waits a few secs, raises eyebrows)
How many left Julie? (waits a few secs, cue shocked face)

Guys, these are FLYING out, get a wriggle on!

All the time never actually giving us quantity sold or remaining. Yes sometimes they do, I know that. So why not all the time?
I guarantee that was Mike Mason :LOL:

Returning to cooking. Andy is in charge of all the air fryer cooking. There is no need for Ideal World to have a so-called chef. I am sure one of the presenters is capable of cooking. The only person I have seen is Jo, but the less said about, the better. I do have to mention the raw bacon she cooked upon that weird 3 in 1 breakfast machine they keep flogging.
The main reason they have a chef type person is for show. Someone competent in cooking who is prepared to use this product gives the viewer confidence. Seeing the food being prepared and the presenter eating it and saying 'yum' is the end of the story. It has a beginning, middle and end (to the performance selling). Somehow a presenter having a go doesn't feel the same. I mean Joanne may be a whizz in her kitchen but can you imagine Peter Simon doing it?? Certain aspects work better and there are exceptions of course, but the way Ideal World were doing it a few months ago, put you off wanting to buy the product. So bringing in Mark and doing it in the cramped kitchen is actually an improvement

I'm sorry to be the profit of doom, and I may well be wrong, however with the possible exception of QVC and maybe C&C and maybe one of the jewelry channels, I reckon all the others will close at some point over the coming years for all the reasons we've discussed previously. One of the main reasons for me is simple. Amazon. Ebay. Temu and so on. In almost all instances, the products IW sell can be found for a similar if not cheaper price online. So if it's cheaper on Amazon for example and you're in the habit of using Amazon, why the heck would you bother buying from a selly telly channel?

Sure selly telly as a concept might have a future if it finds its niche, however that doesn't mean they'll all survive.
By current design it is an outdated way of buying. The presenters often gear their language to appeal to older people in general. ‘Please buy because you’re helping the ‘family’ out - ME!! some of the more desperate plead. You are shown the goods for sale at their pace. The seller (the presenter) has often done little research on the product and knows little about anything to do with it. It’s like buying a used car from somebody’s standing in from the newsagent across the road. The presentations feature one brand only, last half an hour to an hour, with no other choices in the meantime.Then you are TOLD how long it will take to send them out and how they sent it. Their choice, not yours. If you order online, make a mistake or later change your mind, there are often no options to cancel - leaving you the hassle of receiving goods you don’t want and having then to send them back. If I want to buy an air fryer, say, online. I go to a major online retailer, read the specs, read the reviews, check the sending options, and then check similar air fryers they have on sale to directly compare. If I order one and subsequently change my mind, I have clear cancellation options - even post dispatch with some companies. I have confidence that what I order is going to be the right thing for me, because I have had the time to compare, and know when and how the goods will be delivered to me, and with my input. I have also been given a clear and flexible returns policy, and essentially been put in control of what I buy. Why would anybody used to shopping that way choose the former way of buying? without radical change, shopping television, I feel will be a historical and nostalgic look back in 20 or so years. No more.

Simona is very capable at cooking from what I’ve seen.

The main reason they have a chef type person is for show. Someone competent in cooking who is prepared to use this product gives the viewer confidence. Seeing the food being prepared and the presenter eating it and saying 'yum' is the end of the story. It has a beginning, middle and end (to the performance selling). Somehow a presenter having a go doesn't feel the same. I mean Joanne may be a whizz in her kitchen but can you imagine Peter Simon doing it?? Certain aspects work better and there are exceptions of course, but the way Ideal World were doing it a few months ago, put you off wanting to buy the product. So bringing in Mark and doing it in the cramped kitchen is actually an improvement
I understand what you are saying. With that in mind, they need to have a rethink on the chef they use. The guy who cooks isn't a very good advertisement for the product he is helping to sell. I see a lot of burnt and undercooked food. The presenters are pushing this food away, or the chef is trying to conceal it. Perhaps we should add the tactic of pretending the food is delicious to the list of fake sales pitches.

looks like Lindsey has been on a trip

LindseyGems1.PNG

Latest posts

Back