Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Re all this stuff about connecting products to major events and/or comparing them to much more expensive products, it all has ZERO effect on me. I've never been impressed with 'things' in that regard no matter how much they cost. Do not get me wrong, if I win Lotto big time one of the first things I'd buy would be a £90k Porsche. However my underlying point is you won't impress me simply because you own a Porsche, and neither would I expect people to be impressed with me. It's all just relative (money wise) to how much you have.

'And Victoria Beckham was spotted out in London this evening carrying what looked like a new bag from the much sought after FabbyDabbyDo brand. Their bags have a starting price of £5,000.'

Victoria Beckham spending £5,000 on a bag is like an everyday woman spending £50 on one.

It's all relative.

p.s. if you are wired that way, fine, not casting any negative vibes, we're all different ;)

IW know fine well most of their products aren't genuine quality, aren't genuine tier 1. Same with much of the tat TJC etc sell. They also know many (most?) of their viewers won't be high earners and will aspire to having better stuff.

So what do they do? Almost constantly link stuff to comparisons of products that are 10x the price, or to mention things like Basel watch fair, or to say 'such and such wears a watch similar to this.'

Unfortunately many buy into all that guff, and boy do selly telly know it.

IW know fine well most of their products aren't genuine quality, aren't genuine tier 1. Same with much of the tat TJC etc sell. They also know many (most?) of their viewers won't be high earners and will aspire to having better stuff.

So what do they do? Almost constantly link stuff to comparisons of products that are 10x the price, or to mention things like Basel watch fair, or to say 'such and such wears a watch similar to this.'

Any business would do that

Can't recall if it was Shop Extra or IW, but that I remember a monologue about a Swan & Edgar Tourbillon that went something like this:

"By buying this watch you're buying into a lifestyle. You'll have made a right turn, taken your seat in first class, and been handed that glass of champagne."

🤢

Any business would do that

But most don't.

I can't imagine staff members at Primark are told to go up to old dears rummaging through the clearance handbags bin to tell them what they're looking at is 'basically the same' as the latest £5k designer handbag some celeb has bought.

Last edited:
In fairness at least they are regularly price-matching these days..

IMG_2007.jpeg

This is still making me laugh 🤭 Duke's very apt piste take from on the 'not a direct comparisons', but also the fact the product they're selling is missing the "i" in 'Christmas' and the 'we' at the of the "we wish you" line.

WE WISH YOU
MERRY CHRSTMAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR
🕯️
Is what I'll be writing in all my xmas cards this year.

Last jab (hepatitis) I had was when some bloke spat blood in my face attending an RTA in 1985. I played truant to avoid the BCG ones. I was the Deputy Head at the time.
You've brought back a memory of my school days. We were all lined up to receive the BCG vaccine, girls on the left, boys on the right. The boys went in first one by one and came out clutching their arms as if the injection was so painful to scare us girls!! And it worked...

You've brought back a memory of my school days. We were all lined up to receive the BCG vaccine, girls on the left, boys on the right. The boys went in first one by one and came out clutching their arms as if the injection was so painful to scare us girls!! And it worked...
I remember one of the boys going in to get his, laughing his head off about how everyone else were total wusses for being scared of needles.

Then he got effectively carried out by a teacher, as he'd fainted just as the nurse attempted to jab him.

That was one of the high points of my school years

Can’t believe some of you missed a hour long discussion on flu jabs, on IW today
Not much to say about mine. Went to my chemist. Asked for the flu jab. Filled in a form. Got my flu jab. Went home. Had a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit. Story over, didn't take an hour.

Not much to say about mine. Went to my chemist. Asked for the flu jab. Filled in a form. Got my flu jab. Went home. Had a cup of tea and a digestive biscuit. Story over, didn't take an hour.
I booked a COVID booster at the local pharmacy last week. Was waiting to go in for mine, and the pharmacist comes out and asks if anyone wants their flu jab too.

You'd think that he was giving away free spliffs or something. I have never seen a room full of old dears cheer up so quickly 😁

Latest posts

Back