Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

nice looking pad, if that's someone from ideals house they've done very very well for themselves.

rubber head really hamming it up there, pseudo yank style, reckon he could do a cracking Cher tribute!
Do you believe in life after Ideal?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you've saved enough, no
Do you believe in life after Ideal?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you've saved enough, no

“Well one week later since IW closed its doors for good and I am pleased to say I’ve had a great week considering.
As chairman of our of our local garden club I arranged open gardens this week in our village and the evening finished at our house with lots of dancing, booze and fabulous singing and hosting from my wonderful friends Shaun Crawley and Hayley Green who I can’t thank enough. Thanks to my Jason too for cooking 60 burgers on the BBQ!
On the work front I have got several things in the pipeline and have already presented on CREATE AND CRAFT TV for a shift as a freelance presenter which was truly wonderful.
Thanks everyone for all your wonderful support xx”

From that they seem to be taking matters extremely badly - NOT.. People on low wages who worked for the company…maybe with one month’s savings to sustain them at best..reading about that tw…and his booze and his partying. From how he writes - insensitive best describes him. And hardly strapped for cash by the sounds of it. Perhaps a more caring for the greater good individual could have thrown a party for the minimum wage type IW staff now jobless? But clearly, from how he waxes lyrical about HE’s DOING and the new work HE HAS, that appears the last plan on his mind. He was appearing on that channel virtually to the end trying to get people to buy things from a failing and near completely failed company. Has he no shame??

“Well one week later since IW closed its doors for good and I am pleased to say I’ve had a great week considering.
As chairman of our of our local garden club I arranged open gardens this week in our village and the evening finished at our house with lots of dancing, booze and fabulous singing and hosting from my wonderful friends Shaun Crawley and Hayley Green who I can’t thank enough. Thanks to my Jason too for cooking 60 burgers on the BBQ!
On the work front I have got several things in the pipeline and have already presented on CREATE AND CRAFT TV for a shift as a freelance presenter which was truly wonderful.

From that they seem to be taking matters extremely badly - NOT.. People on low wages who worked for the company…maybe with one month’s savings to sustain them at best..reading about that tw…and his booze and his partying. From how he writes - insensitive best describes him. And hardly strapped for cash by the sounds of it. Perhaps a more caring for the greater good individual could have thrown a party for the minimum wage type IW staff now jobless? But clearly, from how he waxes lyrical about HE’s DOING and the new work HE HAS, that appears the last plan on his mind. He was appearing on that channel virtually to the end trying to get people to buy things from a failing and near completely failed company. Has he no shame??

He could always get a job as a barman at his hubby's pub.

Rutland ain’t cheap. Very few openly on the brink living in those types of villages. I far from begrudge people fiscal success. If Ryan has done well enough to live in a good place and attain a good life, power to him. But I do think humility and empathy for others’ position are qualities I value in a human being more than wealth creation skills. From his glowing update about how he is doing, you don’t see those traits radiating from his soul. It’s also for me about earning your money in as moral a way as you can. And morality when selling on a shopping channel (if that‘s not a grand oxymoron) is about being honest and transparent about what you are selling. I saw very little of that at Ideal World.

Rutland ain’t cheap. Very few openly on the brink living in those types of villages. I far from begrudge people fiscal success. If Ryan has done well enough to live in a good place and attain a good life, power to him. But I do think humility and empathy for others’ position are qualities I value in a human being more than wealth creation skills. From his glowing update about how he is doing, you don’t see those traits radiating from his soul. It’s also for me about earning your money in as moral a way as you can. And morality when selling on a shopping channel (if that‘s not a grand oxymoron) is about being honest and transparent about what you are selling. I saw very little of that at Ideal World.

That's what always happens in these situations, the folks responsible for IW demise, ie the well paid Management, Buyers, Presenters etc, who are all most likely to not be short of a bob or two, are all the ones doing the crying and moaning about their lot, while the poor lower paid workers who's contribution to IW's demise would have been negligible to nothing, are the ones who are forgotten about and not heard from, their plight is barely an afterthought to the adoring fans of the egotistical presenters.

Spot on, Hammy. I think Ryan, is the only one I’ve seen though, eulogising to his simpering followers about how great his life is. A real kick in the gonads to the former workers there.

'fabulous singing' - good to see he has got a sense of humour still !

Going back to the demise of the shopping channel in general, I think one of the biggest problems is having nothing new to sell anymore. The George Foreman grill was launched on a shopping channel as was the Magic Bullet blender, Lock n' locks, memory foam mattress toppers, ahh bras, the wonder Core exerciser, I'm sure there's loads I've forgotten. These products are now all available in the mainstream and have been for ages, not only that, cheaper imitations are widely available. The shopping channels are no longer the leaders in innovation that they used to be. The Jewellery channels seem to be hanging in there because they're concentrating on one thing and attract people who are specifically looking for it. QVC on the other hand is a mystery to me. I don't know what they're like in the other countries they serve, but over here they're a ludicrously expensive department store selling mainstream stuff that can be bought cheaper literally everywhere else. I can only surmise that it's a combination of Kim & Co, Marla Wynne, Diamonique and those blind to the pitfalls of the 60 day MBG that's keeping them where they are!
Would I want to rewind to the those heady days? Yes and no. Yes because they were entertaining and dare I say exciting, and no because despite discovering some brilliant products that I still use today I did buy an awful lot of crap that I most certainly wouldn't have bought had I not seen it on the telly. I remember buying this weird mobile phone that hung around your neck like an old person's alarm. It had no dial and was operated by means of one central button and the rest was voice operated - It had its problems, one being that you had to speak very loudly and very carefully if you didn't want "phone home" to be interpreted as "phone John" or "doctor" on one occasion! I guess it picked up some background noise. I went out one balmy sunny evening with it hanging around my neck then out of nowhere the heavens opened and I got soaked to the skin - The phone did not enjoy the experience and stopped working from that day forth - It wasn't cheap!

I presume it is the grounds of the pub he owns with his partner?
Read comment somewhere on his FB when researching IW end comments (talking about garden), this is his/partner's grand designs dream house. So built from plan or refurbished, etc.

Seen the odd comment here about presenters can't be too well off. I disagree.

TV usually pays well if in front of camera. 20+ years, at say £100k+ maybe £150k to £200k+ now? with added commission for employed staff like SR? Freelance probably on, what, £2k+ per day, or maybe £2, 3 or 500-£800+ per hour?

For comparison, many regular professionals are charged out at £1.2k - £2k+ per day or more, depending on skill/seniority. And that's the regular low end of consultants, freelancers, etc.

if you've seen their houses from Streetview, via the addresses in the creditors lists, then you know they're doing ok, provided the mortgage's paid off by now...

Anyone know better what they were actually paid daily or per hour?

Last edited:
Read comment somewhere on his FB when researching IW end comments (talking about garden), this is his/partner's grand designs dream house. So built from plan or refurbished, etc.

Seen the odd comment here about presenters can't be too well off. I disagree.

TV usually pays well if in front of camera. 20+ years, at say £100k+ maybe £150k to £200k+ now? with added commission for employed staff like SR? Freelance probably on, what, £2k+ per day, or maybe £2, 3 or 500-£800+ per hour?

if you're seen their houses from Streetview via the addresses in the creditors lists, then you know they're doing ok, provided the mortgage's paid off by now...

Anyone know what they were paid daily or per hour?

It is a tough one as I always thought the pay isn't that great

But then you regularly hear presenters on all channels say "I am staying down south for a few days whilst I am here"

If the companies are picking that bill up then fair enough but if not then they must be

I would be absolutely amazed if they were on anything like six figures a year but could be wrong people are blinded by the headline figures of the big names on the BBC/ITV who earn massive money

There are some pretty good broadcast journalists on the BBC on 50/70k a year

There are a few vague articles on google suggesting trainee shopping presenter starts on 30k a year and the top ones earn 60/70 I wouldn't think that is miles away

The other factor is I suspect the "hourly pay" rate looks pretty appealing however on all channels they don't just turn up at 11.50 for a 12 pm show and then leave at 1.05 pm. 2 hours in prep seems the norm and meetings after being on live also seem common

It is a tough one as I always thought the pay isn't that great

But then you regularly hear presenters on all channels say "I am staying down south for a few days whilst I am here"

If the companies are picking that bill up then fair enough but if not then they must be

I would be absolutely amazed if they were on anything like six figures a year but could be wrong people are blinded by the headline figures of the big names on the BBC/ITV who earn massive money

There are some pretty good broadcast journalists on the BBC on 50/70k a year

There are a few vague articles on google suggesting trainee shopping presenter starts on 30k a year and the top ones earn 60/70 I wouldn't think that is miles away
I know shopping TV is not proper entertainment TV, but I'd be surprised if basic (employed) was less than £80k, plus commission don't forget. And if a top performer double or triple it. It's TV!

I know top radio presenters are on £300k+ in commercial stations, for 3hrs a day, if they have £1m+ listeners/viewers. All about the RAJAR ratings for advertising income related.

Freelancers can claim all qualifying expenses back, so travel, accommodation, meals overnight, toiletries, even a car, TV/radio if used for work away from home, can be claimed back against tax. IR35 rules were made stricter but in shopping telly a work car, travel, accommodation, subsistence for work in jobs is all expensable.

Seriously, look at the houses, from the chefs to the presenters to the long-standing or top rated ones, they're all doing well, don't you worry!

The other factor is I suspect the "hourly pay" rate looks pretty appealing however on all channels they don't just turn up at 11.50 for a 12 pm show and then leave at 1.05 pm. 2 hours in prep seems the norm and meetings after being on live also seem common
If anyone was on less than £200 per hour I'd be surprised. So say 3hrs a day, 5days a week is £3k, equates to roughly £150k a year plus commission at, I dunno ranging from 1-5% to 10% plus, depending on item/value quantity, likely a laddered scale.

So £120-£150k+ pa doesn't seem unreasonable for a freelancer, with far greater earnings possible.

Three Ideal World worlds..The First - the presenters (the higher profile ones), and the elite positions at the very top, The Second - the senior production staff, and more junior presenters. Then, The Third World of people like junior studio staff, call centre workers, and warehouse employees.

You don't get to live where Ryan does, and in that type of property on £10 an hour in customer services. Nor (from the creditor lists) the addresses for people like Mason and Simon etc. Living in very decent drums, and clearly on excellent money from shopping television work over many years of doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't shed any tears for the majority of those top tier Ideal World presenters. Some of the 'B' Team ones like that Jess girl, the real out of work actress now, and others like Tim, the fitness guy, may well be hit hard financially from the lost work, as I suspect there was very much that elite bunch there who picked their own shows and were probably on at least a grand a show plus with the others earning much less. With those more junior ones, getting more of the crap goods shows at the non-peak times.

I do believe the shopping television presenter gravy train is coming to an end. Probably explaining why those lucky enough to present at QVC hang on to their jobs like grim death. As has been mentioned previously, this style of shopping is designed to appeal to people who functioned prior to the Internet becoming a commercial entity. Customers (women in the main, aged somewhere between 50 and 70) who like to take their time when shopping. How many 20 to 40 somethings buy via this type of retailing? Low, low numbers I believe. Its style essentially offering everything they don't want from a shopping experience. QVC and even Ideal World are trying and tried to get younger presenters in to freshen the mood, but then those same people are and were being used to sell items designed to appeal to the middle aged and older customer that the passing time will eventually eradicate as living buyers...

I think this is the Right Move shot of it…

DFB0F21C-CAC1-4026-956A-172355B802E4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back