Qvc diamonds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

diamonds

Registered Shopper
I was wondering whether qvc diamonds are up to the mark .I was planning on buying a ring and its for £395 reduced from £495 in 9 carat gold with no certification .yesterday was out shopping and in town is a shop which sells really good second hand jewellery and at times they do get pieces not worn or from other places .long story short ,saw a beautiful 18 ct gold ring ,with the diamond caratage inscribed on the ring and really very very good diamonds for £195 .Was gobsmacked as its not worn at all .Thats why this dilemma .

Personally I wouldn't touch q's diamonds. If you have a good second hand shop you can probably negotiate a good deal on some lovely pieces. Auctions also offer great value. I would definitely buy vintage pieces - I love imagining the stories they might tell.

Incidentally, is there no qvc Christmas diamond ring this year? They don't usually miss the chance to flog some diamond dust. Maybe folks are wising up and putting their pennies to better use.

I buy jewellery with my heart - if I love it then I'll get it (purse willing).

It's not just the carat weight that's important with diamonds - the cut, colour and clarity all dictate how brilliant it is and how much it's worth.

I'd say that good quality diamonds are more likely to be set in 18ct rather than 9ct.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with second hand jewellery - I've got some lovely Art Deco rings that were really affordable compared to new prices. Also, gold is recycled (and some stones reused) so even a new piece is likely to have old materials in it.

That said, I'd make a decision on getting the one I loved the most not the one that was best value... you'll be wearing it so you don't want to regret any compromises.

I won`t touch QVC for jewellery these days. Too much eek, too much silver or base metals, poor weights, poor quality, too many complaints and too much bullsh^t from presenters trying to flog the stuff.
If you`re planning on spending serious money then go to some place which is serious about selling jewellery and not a mish mash organisation like QVC. Secondhand buys can be great value and most jewellery shops and their websites will have a sale right after Christmas when you`ll find good discounts. I have my eye on something in Ernest Jones but I`ll wait until their sale begins or until I get a discount code from them through the post. Once in a blue moon I also buy stuff from an American lady who hand makes all her own stuff and uses top quality gems and diamonds and come New Year she`ll have some really serious discounts.

its very true its not just size that matters. i have a clogau ring with a small diamond but its far superior to a lot of diamonds i have seen. qvc used to be good for diamonds but its more expensive now. you could buy the qvc one ad take it to some jewellers. one tip dont tell them where you bought it a lot of shops dont like qvc in my experience

Gems TV have some certificated diamond rings.

I remember years back when Gems was really big on ST. Many had loops(the thing jewellers use), and said QVC diamonds where not good black dots in them etc. The ones from Gems far superior

Interestingly I had a gold ring resized very recently. Its one of those rings that looks like three individual criss crossing bands and its set with 5 diamonds. I bought it from QVC years ago. When I took it to the jeweller and asked about getting it adjusted and whether it was "worth" the expense. He said "oh yes ... and they're good quality diamonds too". At the same time I took in another ring that was bought from an independent jeweller and was quite pricey. That has 10 Swiss set diamonds and my jeweller commented that one has quite a distinct flaw. It doesn't matter and isn't obvious to the naked eye at all.

I'm like Tiddly though. I buy with my heart. I've recently had a smokey quartz ring made for me at a price I'm very happy with but I'm sure most would think it expensive. But it is precisely what I want and utterly unique to me.

My advice would be: don't go there. I once bought a fairly expensive ring from Q (about 4 years ago), and they said no certification came with it, so I told them to forget it. Any reputable jewellery seller would give you paperwork that certifies colour, clarity, carat weight and cut, so in my book the fact they don't means they may have something to hide. Also, I know from past (long past) experience that their invoices carry very little detail, and are often misspelt, so don't assume you can use the invoice as certification. As someone on here has already said, decent diamonds are usually set in 18K - my advice would be to go second-hand, you obviously have less choice in picking a design but you get a better deal, and often second hand 18K gold is sold for the same price (or less) as 9K on jewellery channels and Q - just make sure you check it over carefully. I recently bought a weighty Welsh gold ring second hand, for £140. A gift box and certification on headed paper came with it, clearly stating what it is. There are excellent deals out there if you look on the dreaded High Street (there, I've said it!!!).
I was wondering whether qvc diamonds are up to the mark .I was planning on buying a ring and its for £395 reduced from £495 in 9 carat gold with no certification .yesterday was out shopping and in town is a shop which sells really good second hand jewellery and at times they do get pieces not worn or from other places .long story short ,saw a beautiful 18 ct gold ring ,with the diamond caratage inscribed on the ring and really very very good diamonds for £195 .Was gobsmacked as its not worn at all .Thats why this dilemma .

Last edited:
My preference is always for rose gold. Don't apply the rule of good diamonds being set into 18ct gold if you're buying rose gold. Jewellers often prefer 9ct over 18ct for colour when using rose gold as they can add more copper to 9ct.

Personally I wouldn't go with Q, maybe years ago but now it is just chips and dust.

Especially if you have seen and like the one in the flesh rather than a poor quality photo on the website.

Agree with all the above. Even years ago I bought a TSV 9ct gold baguette cut diamond ring for £99 - but compared to a 'proper' diamond ring bought since, there is no 'glitter' to the cheap one at all. In those days Q were flogging chocolate (?) - black (!) and even cognac coloured diamonds - doubt there worth even the cost price now.

I looked in the window of a local money lender on the dreaded High St, and was stunned by the prices of the jewellery offered for sale. 18ct rings with good diamonds for as little as a couple of hundred pounds. So its worth shopping around. Although at these prices it makes nonsense of paying top dollar in retail chains for something that realistically is worth less than half the price when seen in a second hand shop !

Don't forget the minute you walk outside the door any jewellery becomes secondhand and valued accordingly so let someone else take the hit.

That's right LOTI - you've only to watch the many auction tele shows where jewellery is sold, and rings in particular, despite being 18ct are sold for peanuts - better to buy good quality so it becomes an heirloom, rather than inferior with no long term value.

I do love Diamonds, Diamonds but would never touch QVCs, as soon as a jeweller sees QVC stamped inside that's were it ends. Carat weight is important because that's what you're paying for, the fact they don't give you the carat weight, colour or clarity proves these are basically diamond off cuts, chips or rejects, I'd stick to second hand you get much more for your money...........and I agree size and quality does matter.

The most important thing is to buy something you really like and will wear as much as possible.

It will be rare that it will appreciate in value (it is only top notch or named designers or very very old) and future generations may hate your choice of design and either flog it or throw it in a drawer so I say buy what you like for now and enjoy wearing it.

The most important thing is to buy something you really like and will wear as much as possible.

It will be rare that it will appreciate in value (it is only top notch or named designers or very very old) and future generations may hate your choice of design and either flog it or throw it in a drawer so I say buy what you like for now and enjoy wearing it.

Oh yes I agree with that, to buy what you love, equally I don't think someone should pay say £200 when it's only worth £50 for instance, that's not fair and a total rip off, but each to their own.

theres so much crap diamonds around. specially the larger stones. looks positively opaque. i quite like diamonique set in gold 14 is really nice. qvc used to set it in platinum that looked the part

The only thing I'd say about TV auctions is that you can't see the overall condition of the item, and of course at auction you buy 'as seen'. The auction catalogues clearly state that it is up to the bidder to check or ask auctioneer beforehand for a condition report, and they cut so much out of these TV shows, that even if the auctioneer mentions condition during the auction, they could well cut this bit prior to transmission. Many items sold at auction are sold at scrap value and bought by dealers, of course.

That's right LOTI - you've only to watch the many auction tele shows where jewellery is sold, and rings in particular, despite being 18ct are sold for peanuts - better to buy good quality so it becomes an heirloom, rather than inferior with no long term value.

You're so right. A friend took a ring into a jewellers while she was on holiday (ring came from Gems) and she was practically chucked out of the shop - she's still in shock over it! She said he was extremely rude. After she told me her experience, I took a ring I'd bought from Gems into one of our local jewellers (I like to live dangerously!) and he was absolutely fine about it, and gave me what I thought was a fair verbal valuation for no charge. I'd shopped there before, so maybe he remembered me, (and it is very much a family jewellers, not one of the chains), but that was my experience, for what it's worth.
I do love Diamonds, Diamonds but would never touch QVCs, as soon as a jeweller sees QVC stamped inside that's were it ends. Carat weight is important because that's what you're paying for, the fact they don't give you the carat weight, colour or clarity proves these are basically diamond off cuts, chips or rejects, I'd stick to second hand you get much more for your money...........and I agree size and quality does matter.

Latest posts

Back