QVC and the Poor Woman who lost her partner

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

donna255

ShoppingTelly Supporter
Anyone on FB read the lady whose partner had died and QVC????

They sent threatening letters and even debt collectors to her. She phoned and informed them he had died of cancer(only found out three months before he died), sent copy of his death cert. Still they sent letters demanding he clear his bill, then passed to a debt collector who were told the gentleman had died. Even they were disgusted with QVC. Yet the letters kept coming. The woman finally got a solicitor to send the death cert with an official letter.

Then a christmas card arrived with an easy pay code for the partner and his name spelt wrong!!!!!

Sad to say it doesn`t surprise me. When my first husband died his car was on finance so I rang the company, told them he`d died and asked them to send me a settlement figure for the car. Of course his bank account was closed down within days of his death and I`d transferred all his household direct debits to my account and expected to receive nothing but a settlement figure from the finance company. Firstly the letters saying they`d tried to take the direct debit from his account arrived ( in his name ) secondly the threatening letters began to arrive ( also in his name ) and after every single letter I rang them saying he was DEAD and would they please send me the settlement figure so I could pay off the car and then sell it. Everytime I received an apology and an assurance it wouldn`t happen again. In the end I finally got it sorted but only after much upset and stress. Large companies have so many departments and quite often the left hand doesn`t seem to know what the right hand is doing but it`s the poor person at the receiving end who cops out the most. To add insult to injury just a few months later a letter arrived from the same car company, yet again in hubby`s name offering him a loan to buy a new car .....

Is this actually true though? I know that it has happened i the past at different companies but Facebook is hardly a reliable news source! Does anyone have a link to the story?

Is this actually true though? I know that it has happened i the past at different companies but Facebook is hardly a reliable news source! Does anyone have a link to the story?

I read it aswell and I would say it is true , its on the Qvc FB from yesterday late evening , I don't think its appropriate to copy and paste it here as for all we know that poor woman could be part of this forum.

Qvc's treatment of her is disgusting and they should hang there heads in shame .

How did he owe them anything? Unless it was easy pay.

Awful if it's true, but like you I don't understand how he could owe QVC money as goods are paid for in advance. It must be easy-pay items.

Unfortunately these things happen due to computer systems. Yes it should have been recorded by Customer Services but if it wasn't then as soon as the payment was missed the computer system would have automatically created a letter. Its not some mean person deciding to stick the knife in.

A friend of mine here received a large bill for her ex-husband, despite the fact that she had divorced him 20 years previously and he had been dead 10 years.

When I lived in the UK I was watching Sky one evening and it suddenly cut off. I was due to go on holiday the next day, but decided to call them anyway even though it was late. I was told by Sky that the box had been cut off as they had been called a week or so before and been informed that I had died in a car accident whilst on holiday. Needless to say that as I was driving to France I was somewhat freaked out.

In the Sky incident it turned out to be a now ex friend, but the others are computer generated errors.

I must admit it is common to be asked for proof of death so Q are no different in that respect but I can`t say they`ve handled it well. I got several copies of my husband`s death certificate and whenever I was asked for proof I just mailed a copy which was always returned to me.

Unfortunately these things happen due to computer systems. Yes it should have been recorded by Customer Services but if it wasn't then as soon as the payment was missed the computer system would have automatically created a letter. Its not some mean person deciding to stick the knife in.

The lady on FB said that she had informed QVC that her partner had died but they still passed the debt to debt collectors. I agree that an initial letter could be issued automatically but once they had been informed they should have handled this much better. It's just incompetence.

It is no excuse but I have read loads of similar stories in the money page letters in newspapers. The awful circumstances cannot be allowed to get in the way of their processes. The companies challenged by the paper usually put it down to an administrative error and then go on to say "lessons will be learnt". Yeah right....

From reading this thread it appears that not only do they badger us into buying when we're alive, but badger us to pay when we aren't.

I would have thought that they could have afforded this poor woman some sensitivity and empathy ......... or does the QVC actually stand for a Quite Vindictive Company?

Absolutely disgusting and despicable. And disgraceful. And other words that begin with D... This sort of thing is far more common than it should ever be allowed to be, which is sickening. Any company doing this sort of thing should be utterly ashamed. Not that they ever would, they don't give a f**k.

Sounds very unpleasant for the lady. Sometimes companies just don't know how to deal with this type of thing. I remember ringing up Abbey National (as they were then) after my mother died to try and sort out the mortgage. An advisor called Gareth kept saying "you will have to get the account holder to call." (He said it three times). I asked him: "How exactly do you propose I do that?" to which he replied: "That's up to you mate but as far as I'm concerned I'm not discussing it with you." I have already told you you need to get your mother to call." I then said, perhaps a little bluntly, "Don't you understand she is dead?" Stunned silence. "Well you need to send her death certificate with a covering letter!" As if that wasn't bad enough, they evicted me in the middle of winter and made me homeless. I ended up making a successful claim against them but the whole experience was horrible. Even in court they tried to make me look stupid. At no point did they ever apologise.

Sounds very unpleasant for the lady. Sometimes companies just don't know how to deal with this type of thing. I remember ringing up Abbey National (as they were then) after my mother died to try and sort out the mortgage. An advisor called Gareth kept saying "you will have to get the account holder to call." (He said it three times). I asked him: "How exactly do you propose I do that?" to which he replied: "That's up to you mate but as far as I'm concerned I'm not discussing it with you." I have already told you you need to get your mother to call." I then said, perhaps a little bluntly, "Don't you understand she is dead?" Stunned silence. "Well you need to send her death certificate with a covering letter!" As if that wasn't bad enough, they evicted me in the middle of winter and made me homeless. I ended up making a successful claim against them but the whole experience was horrible. Even in court they tried to make me look stupid. At no point did they ever apologise.

Oh my god, how awful. Absolutely unbelievable. :mysmilie_51:

Latest posts

Back