QTech

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
Unless you've been living on Mars since the summer, you'll be well aware that the Christmas selling season has been in full swing, but why have QVC been on such a technology binge just of late? We've had, I think, 6 TSV's in the last couple of weeks, with shows peppering the listings all over. Clearly the stuff sells, but I would imagine that most viewers already have much of what is on offer, if they want it, and QVC seem to only ever sell the really expensive models from the most expensive brands. I could really do with a new laptop but there's no way I'd consider thousands of pounds on one the overpriced offerings from Apple. It's the same with Richard Jackson, for example - they get their hooks into something and then flog it to death and then flog it some more just to make sure. Is it just a symptom of their ever decreasing product range? And poor scheduling?

Unless you've been living on Mars since the summer, you'll be well aware that the Christmas selling season has been in full swing, but why have QVC been on such a technology binge just of late? We've had, I think, 6 TSV's in the last couple of weeks, with shows peppering the listings all over. Clearly the stuff sells, but I would imagine that most viewers already have much of what is on offer, if they want it, and QVC seem to only ever sell the really expensive models from the most expensive brands. I could really do with a new laptop but there's no way I'd consider thousands of pounds on one the overpriced offerings from Apple. It's the same with Richard Jackson, for example - they get their hooks into something and then flog it to death and then flog it some more just to make sure. Is it just a symptom of their ever decreasing product range? And poor scheduling?

Q always do this in the lead up to Christmas. It's not the ideal time to be flogging steam mops, irons and vacuum cleaners... so the only way they can vary their increasingly montonous fare is with smart phones, computers, tablets, cameras, hi-fis, wiis and TVs which are more likely to be well-received as Christmas presents than household appliances. If you want budget technology, you're probably better off with Ideal World than QVC - they've recently been doing a few reconditioned Apple tablets and they do other brands such as Hanspree which don't carry quite such a hefty price tag. Mind you it seems to be the case that other brands are catching up with Apple prices for smartphones etc. QVC are not looking to save us money, let's face it. They're really looking to make as much money as they can for themselves and the brand... Best to shop around on Amazon and other sites for good bargains on quality tech.

Q have had asus, acer, lenovo & hp laptops all under £400 the past couple of weeks so they do cater for the lower end & even one laptop was as low as just under £200

I was just thinking that myself. They do have expensive stuff on there but there have also been quite few cheaper tech items on.

Well, my overpriced Apple laptop has worked out a lot cheaper than all the cheap ones I've bought over the years. It's been a joy to use, too, so I've spent a lot more time on it than I did on my slow, virus-collecting laptops.

The worst was a Dell that died exactly one day over the year's warranty. I rang up and was offered a "fix" for £182 + VAT. Bargain - NOT! That was the nail in the coffin for my non-Apple laptops.

Having said that, I must admit that I still have my first ever laptop, also a Dell (much better build quality than the modern ones), that I keep to look at some old Windows DVDs. It's 15 years old and takes hours to start up, is as slow as treacle, but still plays the DVDs I need occasionally.

I can whinge as well as anyone else here about QVC (and I'd never buy an Apple product from them as I get better value direct from Apple plus I'd rather buy my own add-ons than a QVC bundle), but I'm glad they sell a range to suit every preference. Their easy pays make it a bit easier for some to buy the higher-priced stuff and the MBG allows people to have a go at something they wouldn't normally try.

May's right in saying that a lot of tech (especially Apple competitors), is getting more and more expensive. Tech used to be for the "boys" or geeks, now it's on everyone's wishlist so it's easy to see why Q is selling it so much.

I have a 9 year old Asus that I use 5 days a week for work as I find it easier to use 2 laptops as I need so many apps open. It runs xp and starts up fast. Great piece of kit. The work supplied laptop is a Lenovo which the company downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7. It too works great

If my 52 y/old brother is anything to go by, a lot of men do their Christmas shopping on-line and either tend to gravitate to tech gifts because they understand or want them, or it's what people have asked for. Dear brother uses Amazon as he has never seen QVC but for those men who are "exposed" to it, it makes for easy shopping.

Latest posts

Back