Prompted?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Toril

Registered Shopper
I was just listening to Alison Keenan on the Indigo Moon slot, (I'm supposedly working ;) but had QVC live minimised on the computer) and I could clearly hear a guy talking at the same time as she was, except he was seemingly giving her instructions.

He said "You're loving it" and nano-seconds later Alison said "You're loving it." Now...... is that concidence (I think not) or are the presenters told, via their earpiece, what to say in order to drum up custom? :33:

Yes, that kept me amused for several minutes as well! lol
Presumably got heir sound channels crossed, most entertaining! *snigger*
(Nice voice he had though! lol)

haha i didnt see that but ive heard similar with ali young i assumed its there producer talking to them in there earpiece and its being picked up by theyre mic, i bet they are told what to say

Yes, that kept me amused for several minutes as well! lol
Presumably got heir sound channels crossed, most entertaining! *snigger*
(Nice voice he had though! lol)

I'm glad someone heard it as well .......I was beginning to think I was hearing voices. ;)

Obviously the people in the gallery are constantly giving information etc into the ears of the presenters (just about all live tv has this - hence the earpieces). They might have been feeding her words and phrases or they might have been letting her know what was happening and subconsciously she repeated it. I've heard instructions before, such as when an item goes limited, or the quantity of those sold, usually when the presenter has gone quiet a while - I believe that they are talking all the time, but you can only hear it when there is no other noise going in the presenter's microphone, rather than a 'channel' getting crossed. I can't imagine how they cope with all this 'talkback' I think they call it - it must be most bewildering! It's amazing this doesn't happen more often!

Phew! Am I relieved someone else can hear the voices:11: I thought I could hear talkback on the Clientele hour too. Why are they not aware of this in the studio? I could hear someone having a jolly good cough too.

Wonder if thats what happened to Catherine the other night with "Crapper factory" :33:

:11: You could be scarily close to the truth there however, e.g. '.....get this crap shifted......!' & the word 'crap' just stuck in her head! :16:

:11: You could be scarily close to the truth there however, e.g. '.....get this crap shifted......!' & the word 'crap' just stuck in her head! :16:

I have a feeling that, since those voices often get overheard, they wouldn't risk that! Plus the guest quite often has the same talkback in their ear!

I was just listening to Alison Keenan on the Indigo Moon slot, (I'm supposedly working ;) but had QVC live minimised on the computer) and I could clearly hear a guy talking at the same time as she was, except he was seemingly giving her instructions.

He said "You're loving it" and nano-seconds later Alison said "You're loving it." Now...... is that concidence (I think not) or are the presenters told, via their earpiece, what to say in order to drum up custom? :33:

Ever since we discussed the problem of the sound level increasing during adverts I've noticed that they generally seem to have much more sound issues than they used to. Including hearing background voices as you've just described. Maybe they've cut back on sound quality or technicians.

It would be impossible to drone on for an hour about most of what they sell, so i'm sure the presenters must have help from the gallery once in a while.....even if it's just to make sure they don't nod off!

I heard it all to and i already knew that they do prompt cos you could see see when they did 'the apprentice' program on home shopping sales ie how the presenters are prompted through their ear pieces.
The reality for me was it all seems a bit tawdry they are not our family thats just patter, they just want to make money of us by talking us into buying whatever. I have wasted loads of money over the last 15 years sucked into that style of sales patter nowadays i probably only buy one or two beauty items and only when on really special offer.

Wouldn't it be great though if they could say things like "this is utter tosh" and "you'd have to wear this for a bet" or "you can get this cheaper at Asda".

i bet people would still buy it - some are daft enough!!

Havent heared the voices coming through so much on qvc but hear the gallery voices on the bid up channels very often

I have a friend who works in tv who said that they have friends of friends who work at QVC and they are forever taking the p*ss out of the carp products down the mic to the presenters, seeing if they can make them laugh on live telly.

I thought it was just me that heard that at lunchtime! It does make is seem more clinical and less like a friendly place to be/watch if that's what they do. I know it's a shopping channel and their primary aim is to extract money from us...but when you hear stuff like that it just makes it seem all the more fake!

I heard it all to and i already knew that they do prompt cos you could see see when they did 'the apprentice' program on home shopping sales ie how the presenters are prompted through their ear pieces.
The reality for me was it all seems a bit tawdry they are not our family thats just patter, they just want to make money of us by talking us into buying whatever. I have wasted loads of money over the last 15 years sucked into that style of sales patter nowadays i probably only buy one or two beauty items and only when on really special offer.

It isn't really prompting - that would be if they'd forgotten lines or something. It's standard procedure for live tv - all the live programmes, This Morning, X Factor, Dancing on Ice etc have talkback. Without it the whole thing would fall apart - the presenters would never know what was happening!

Yes that funny Apprentice episode that they were at Ideal World was an eyeopener.
Here's some clips if anyone missed it hope they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfHsi12Vbs4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cz4...76E9EFE1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETa...79128AB9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=56

Latest posts

Back