Promos and ads

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I know I've seen it mentioned elsewhere here recently, but is anyone getting really irritated by the number of ad breaks and promos during shows these days? I've been counting 6 or 7 in every programme, and what they show is repetitive and doesn't have any relation to the what is currently on air. Is all this padding to cover the fact they've got so little to show? Not that I watch much - I take one look at the prices, laugh or gasp as appropriate and turn over.

I don't watch, if I need anything I shop at IW were you get reasonable p&p and they spend an hour on the products, with rarely any adverts or on line, but yes when I used to watch I noticed that. I thought it was more to plant in people's minds what coming up, to grab that one extra customer that may slip through the shopping TV net.

More likely a pee break, or in Frank's case a chance to catch her breath and adjust the personal monitor !

It's become really obtrusive now.

Ideal World use pre-recorded inserts in their presentations - but those are extra out-takes for the item being shown, not trails for other products... which I find acceptable.

I was just watching the Poppy show. Suitable VT pieces about the Royal British Legion, then suddenly a really jarring trail for Clarks... totally inappropriate.

If the brands are paying for the hours they are featured in, they are not getting the same amount of value for their money with all the padding. QVC nearly always trail the next show during the show (used to only be the trail for the next day's TSV about halfway thru the 11pm show)... they trail the TSV; they trail the following show; they trail brands for the current and future days during the same week. It's not for comfort breaks (unless they've a porta-potty close to the studios: I've heard that the loos are not close to the studios), and it's excessive for changing items (that usually only needs a library still of the current product to hide the production assistants coming on and switching products in front of the presentsrs).

Used to be they used to just have a couple of these trailers to fill the break between one hour and the next to give the presenter time to get across the studio (and sometimes also change what they're wearing).

Yes it is very irritating. So many brands have disappeared I thought maybe they don't have enough products to fill the time.

It's the little theme tunes that herald the brands which do my head in; Kipling and Clarks are particular culprits, but they're not the only ones.

I know I've seen it mentioned elsewhere here recently, but is anyone getting really irritated by the number of ad breaks and promos during shows these days? I've been counting 6 or 7 in every programme, and what they show is repetitive and doesn't have any relation to the what is currently on air. Is all this padding to cover the fact they've got so little to show? Not that I watch much - I take one look at the prices, laugh or gasp as appropriate and turn over.

I've noticed this in certain recent shows too!! The other night, it was like every 5mins and I even think the lovely guy who was guest presenting looked a bit miffed!! Jill F, kept saying and now lets see what else there is on etc etc. Why are they doing this, as I was really enjoying the presentation, with some nice clothes!! I didn't buy as was probably too distracted...really :mysmilie_1:

Talking of breaks, it was funny on Gems the other night - Rachel Hatton said they needed to go to a break so she could munch on a bag of crisps! She'd been on a 6-hour shift, apparently, and whether the Producer or whoever had made a comment I don't know, but she said really defensively words to the effect of.."well, I've got to eat sometime". Presumably she'd also had to go to the loo as well at some point!

Latest posts

Back