Prices Candles TSV 09/11/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

so annoyed the prices t lights have a much shorter burn time and no scent so annoying. they used to be my favourite t lights :mysmilie_51:

What a shame. Are they the ones you bought from QVC?

yes they are ella. the tumblers are lovely as usual. the blends are not as sophisticated as yankees but i still like the fragances. but the t lights soooooooo disapointing. was looking forward to burning them as i have not bought any for a long time. on cold sniff strong burning not a thing the quality is not there sadly

yes they are ella. the tumblers are lovely as usual. the blends are not as sophisticated as yankees but i still like the fragances. but the t lights soooooooo disapointing. was looking forward to burning them as i have not bought any for a long time. on cold sniff strong burning not a thing the quality is not there sadly

Oh dear, how disappointing. I do wonder if the items they sell on QVC are of lesser quality.

When I was in Robert Dyas the other week I saw they had Price's jar candles so immediately dived in! I think I tried black cherry, pear and a cotton one. Now these were all very strong but I have to say they did not have any of the subtlety of a YC blend. I don't know how to express it, but they seemed very one note to me. I thought the pear one was a bit of a nose shocker! They may burn quite differently of course.

When I was in Robert Dyas the other week I saw they had Price's jar candles so immediately dived in! I think I tried black cherry, pear and a cotton one. Now these were all very strong but I have to say they did not have any of the subtlety of a YC blend. I don't know how to express it, but they seemed very one note to me. I thought the pear one was a bit of a nose shocker! They may burn quite differently of course.

I mentioned these large jars earlier in this thread, Mazza (post 21 on p3). I tried the Black Chery but would definitely not buy another. After the first night, when it melted and smelt ok, it tunnelled like crazy. I had to keep cutting out the thick "collar" of plastic-y wax that was left after each burn, despite meticulous wick-trimming, use of an Illuma-lid and a foil wraparound. Some of it I cut into pieces and dropped back in so the candle actually lasted for ages - much longer than a Yankee. However, although the candle itself lasted, the smell didn't. After about half way, maybe sooner, there was zero throw. Even sticking my nose in the jar, hot or cold, it just had a light jammy smell.

The only other Price's I have all came from QVC a few years ago. The older ones are without a doubt far, far better.

I mentioned these large jars earlier in this thread, Mazza (post 21 on p3). I tried the Black Chery but would definitely not buy another. After the first night, when it melted and smelt ok, it tunnelled like crazy. I had to keep cutting out the thick "collar" of plastic-y wax that was left after each burn, despite meticulous wick-trimming, use of an Illuma-lid and a foil wraparound. Some of it I cut into pieces and dropped back in so the candle actually lasted for ages - much longer than a Yankee. However, although the candle itself lasted, the smell didn't. After about half way, maybe sooner, there was zero throw. Even sticking my nose in the jar, hot or cold, it just had a light jammy smell.

The only other Price's I have all came from QVC a few years ago. The older ones are without a doubt far, far better.

your right the scents are not great. i turn the candle and wrap in foil to level the wax. they have spoilt the candles by being cheap. the t lights burned far longer and scented nicely. wont be buying these again

your right the scents are not great. i turn the candle and wrap in foil to level the wax. they have spoilt the candles by being cheap. the t lights burned far longer and scented nicely. wont be buying these again

That's quite something, coming from you, as I remember you were a big Price's fan, boffy. What a shame they have gone downhill.

yankee do what they call quite complex scents, its like if you buy really high end the candles they take you on a journey the way it meanders and changes. i dont mind the simplicity of prices but its gone downhill imo

Oo, just popped back to your,post AndiK! IIRC from my visit to Dyas, these large jars were a lot more than £11. I have just checked online though and they are £12.99, so I must have misread the label. The burn sounds like a total nightmare, but did you get/create an embankment????????? I would never be able to cope with doing that every time I burnt it. If I can't rescue the tunnel situation after a few goes I just let it burn as is. Or give it to someone who can be bothered to rescue the wax and melt it.

Oo, just popped back to your,post AndiK! IIRC from my visit to Dyas, these large jars were a lot more than £11. I have just checked online though and they are £12.99, so I must have misread the label. The burn sounds like a total nightmare, but did you get/create an embankment????????? I would never be able to cope with doing that every time I burnt it. If I can't rescue the tunnel situation after a few goes I just let it burn as is. Or give it to someone who can be bothered to rescue the wax and melt it.

Yes, the jars in Robert Dyas were on offer when I bought mine. I did create an embankment, indeed! Sometimes, I sliced and removed the wax while the middle part was warm and still liquid so it ran out to the edge, though. The main reason was to stop the wick drowning as it seemed to burn down low while the wax didn't reduce.

Before I bore everyone to death with my candle maintenance stories, I'll wind up by just repeating my caution against Price's large jars. You will be able to read more when I release my marvellous forthcoming book entitled "Wax Escapades" (impossible to say after a couple of drinks). It will be available in all good book shops.

Yes, the jars in Robert Dyas were on offer when I bought mine. I did create an embankment, indeed! Sometimes, I sliced and removed the wax while the middle part was warm and still liquid so it ran out to the edge, though. The main reason was to stop the wick drowning as it seemed to burn down low while the wax didn't reduce.

Before I bore everyone to death with my candle maintenance stories, I'll wind up by just repeating my caution against Price's large jars. You will be able to read more when I release my marvellous forthcoming book entitled "Wax Escapades" (impossible to say after a couple of drinks). It will be available in all good book shops.

"Wax Escapades" - LOVE IT!!!! I love a good candle maintenance story and just this weekend was singeing the hair on the my hands when removing an excess wax ring whilst the candle was burning - oh yeah.

"Wax Escapades" - LOVE IT!!!! I love a good candle maintenance story and just this weekend was singeing the hair on the my hands when removing an excess wax ring whilst the candle was burning - oh yeah.

Ah, the stories we could tell! Maybe I'll hold up publication of my book to include another chapter of others' such tales.

I caught my hand with a flame the other day. I spotted some soot round the candle so, rather than extinguish the flame and deal with it sensibly.... I spat on a tissue and tried to remove it whilst still alight. That was a hoot. But at least I didn't set fire to the tissue! Wine had been taken. I haven't had a tunnelling situation recently so no need to do my favourite trick of sticking a biro in the squidgy wax to create a little rivulet of molten wax.

:mysmilie_59:

OMG..... I have just realised what you said. I have NEVER bothered to remove an excess wax ring from the jar. When they show their perfectly burned candles on Q I wonder how the heck (word substitute there) they don't have any residue down the sides. I have now attacked the current pair and will have to remember to keep them trim in the future! Another task in the candle maintenance diary. But at least I am not using shades at the moment so cleaning those is off the list.

OMG..... I have just realised what you said. I have NEVER bothered to remove an excess wax ring from the jar. When they show their perfectly burned candles on Q I wonder how the heck (word substitute there) they don't have any residue down the sides. I have now attacked the current pair and will have to remember to keep them trim in the future! Another task in the candle maintenance diary. But at least I am not using shades at the moment so cleaning those is off the list.

I've given my one and only shade to charity. I think they are clunky and ugly, personally, and am totally an illumalid girl now.

Should add that I have not (yet) tried illumalids on anything other than the YC jars they are officially destined for.

I've given my one and only shade to charity. I think they are clunky and ugly, personally, and am totally an illumalid girl now.

Should add that I have not (yet) tried illumalids on anything other than the YC jars they are officially destined for.

illumalids are like jewellery for your candles. i have gold for the lounge and silver for my bedroom

Ha ha, your post has cracked me up, "attacked the current pair" - this forum doesn't half make me chuckle sometimes :)

However, I must apologise, Mazza, it really wasn't my intention to foist my neuroses on other candle fans, I just hate an untidy-looking candle...my other half thinks I'm a little bit doolally.

I caught my hand with a flame the other day. I spotted some soot round the candle so, rather than extinguish the flame and deal with it sensibly.... I spat on a tissue and tried to remove it whilst still alight. That was a hoot. But at least I didn't set fire to the tissue! Wine had been taken. I haven't had a tunnelling situation recently so no need to do my favourite trick of sticking a biro in the squidgy wax to create a little rivulet of molten wax.

:mysmilie_59:

Thanks, Mazza. I'll add this little vignette to Chapter 9.

Latest posts

Back