Presents again...birthday!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Perspective and all that I know, but I can't help feeling a bit low. Last week I celebrated a significant birthday...I went away with OH and had a great time. One of my closest friends, ok, she's not renowned for giving great presents and I mentioned in the other thread that she seems oblivious to the fact I don't do much crafting these days and keeps giving me various items of card making bits, which are consequently shoved up into my loft and forgotten about. She celebrated the same significant birthday a couple of years back and I bought her a beautiful bracelet with shavorksi (sp) crystals in a gorgeous presentation box - it wasn't cheap either even after staff discount (John Lewis). She also works there so could make use of the fabulous discount. Ok you shouldn't give to receive, but I was rather taken aback to see that for me, all she'd done is shove a small amount of low end (poundshop stuff) crafting bits into a bag, a pen (cheap plastic ballpoint) and some glittery eyeshadow with the Primark label still stuck on the back - I reckon she'd have got change from a fiver for the whole lot! I appreciate how my birthday is close to xmas, so not an ideal time when people's money has got to go much further - but really?...and to top it all she apologised for forgetting to buy me a card!

Ok more fool me, for spending money on decent presents for people, but I just couldn't give a really close friend or relative an absolute pile of crap at any time of the year let alone a significant birthday. I know I sound mean saying this, but she could have bought me a decent bottle of vodka and a glass even for next to nowt from work if she couldn't think of anything I'd really like, a decent pen even - I just felt really hard done by, terrible I know and I feel almost guilty for feeling like this. Just had to get it off my chest.

Did get some nice stuff, another mate made up for it with two really well considered gifts..cheered me right up - but the other lady's a really really close friend and that's why I felt gutted!

Oh I solve all of that by not buying for close friends birthdays at all and they know not to buy for me. I always send a nice card and ring them or see them on their birthdays but that`s it. We`re all similar in age so a group of us all turned 40, 50 and next year 60 in the same year. The greatest gift is that we`re all still around to be friends and we all have partners, kids and grandkids and we all make them a priority for birthdays and Christmas. Time to call a halt with the gift giving I`d say Merryone, it`s obviously stressing you so be brave and just tell people enough is enough and you`ll probably find they feel the same way.

I agree Vienna it is getting out of hand. I understand how Merryone feels though. It is a ****** insult to a dear friend and a really nice card would probably suffice.

I know it would be hard for you to do but I reckon you should buy her a bunch of flowers from the garage for her next birthday and apologise for forgetting to buy her a card.

I know it would be hard for you to do but I reckon you should buy her a bunch of flowers from the garage for her next birthday and apologise for forgetting to buy her a card.

You're right! I couldn't do that to a friend - To me to show my appreciation I like to try and give them a nice and well thought gift, and if the birthday, or occassion is particularly special then I try to make that gift a bit more special too. However, enough's enough and whilst giving someone a bunch of old crap next time would be justified..this is what I'm going to do, i'm gonna buy vodka, still a decent gift, but needs no special thought..I'll make sure it's from Lidl though! - cheaper than a bottle from work with discount..or a bottle of Lidl perfume...lovely stuff but it says Lidl on the box!

Latest posts

Back