Presenters/guests/brand ambassadors

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Ellie

Registered Shopper
Are you more interested/engaged when certain people present items? I am thinking that Honora just wouldn't be the same without Ralph; and I am going to really miss Leighton Denny. I liked the Yankee Candle lady who used to present but doesn't any longer, Kipling bags isn't quite the same if Marie Francoise isn't there. I know people still miss Lenny from presenting Nina Leonard. Basso hours wouldn't be the same without Basso. I'm sure there are lots more. It's nice to see the designer actually showing their clothes and goods. Have you found yourself losing interest because of a stand-in?

I lost interest in Philosophy when Lee Radley left. Robyn his replacement didn't do anything to make me want to buy the brand any more. I may have bought the odd TSV after he left but I grew bored with the presentations on Q.

I'd like to think that I wasn't so easily influenced, but in reality I probably am TBH.

I don't really care for Caroline Archer from Liz Earle, so I never watch LE shows, but I will watch when the lady herself makes an appearance for example.

I'm not too bothered about most of them but I don't like Liz Earle or Caroline Archer so I don't watch.

There's another lady-I think she's called Carla who seems to pop up presenting allsorts of different brands. She's very pleasant but a bit old fashioned and boring-so I tend not to engage with anything she's selling.

Oh and I don't miss Lenny-I found him rather creepy and a bit too touchy feely.

I do think the presenters influence how I watch, for instance I will record and FF a YC show if it is DBF or JF presenting, but I do really like both Rosa and Stephen so would generally watch the show at normal speed. I am not a fan of Caroline Archer (cannot follow her when she speaks so quickly) or the lady who now presents for Molton Brown and seems to wave her arms around all the time! Nowadays I watch it so little. I used to have it on as my "background noise" but tend to have the news channels on instead now! If there is nothing on I might watch the odd beauty show but seldom last the full hour for anything else..... Unless it is something they are doing really badly or weirdly in which case it might be kept on for the laugh!

Cant admit to being influenced to buy a product purely on the 'charms' of the guest presenter; I don't particularly care for Jill Gaunt who must have a house that's lit up like Blackpool Tower, but I still bought a few items. Equally, I much preferred Elaine, the predecessor of Marie Francoise for Kipling, she wasn't 'all pearly teeth' and was more 'adult' in her sales approach, but it hasn't deterred me from buying Kipling, and as for Leighton Denny, I wouldn't cross the street to meet him, but I have bought some of the products.

The one I do have issue with is the Lee chap who talks a lot but says nothing on the electronics shows. The jargon that comes out of his mouth is unbelievable, but rarely gets down to the nitty gritty of how his products actually work.

I more or less agree with all previous posts, but I wonder whether it depends who represented a brand when you first became aware of it. The "original" guests for Elemis when I first took notice of the brand was Bonnie and she was calm and restful to listen too which seemed more in keeping with brand's image than Keeley. If I were lying on a treatment bed having a facial I know whose voice I'd rather hear!
Lorraine the Kipling guest first got me interested in the brand and when she started MF was a poor substitute, not knowing the colours etc. She's improved so much but sadly I don't find the designs very tempting since they engaged new designers.
YBF just wouldn't be the same without Stacey. But I prefer the Mally shows with Teenie. Laura Geller is more watchable than Sarah Jagger, but she's ok and I still watch if there's something new on sale.
I can't recall the name of the Decleor lady before Fiona; she had been involved in a car crash and had used prolegene gel on her facial scars...I always wondered why she didn't sell some to Andrew Baggley for his scar? :mysmilie_11: She was calm and easier to watch than our Fi - I just want to clip her fringe out of her eyes like a school mistress!

I can't recall the name of the Decleor lady before Fiona; she had been involved in a car crash and had used prolegene gel on her facial scars...I always wondered why she didn't sell some to Andrew Baggley for his scar? :mysmilie_11: She was calm and easier to watch than our Fi - I just want to clip her fringe out of her eyes like a school mistress!

Is that really appropriate mentioning that and putting a smiley with a Zip mouth ?? Why shouldn't he be happy with his scar it's nothing to be ashamed of?

The one I do have issue with is the Lee chap who talks a lot but says nothing on the electronics shows. The jargon that comes out of his mouth is unbelievable, but rarely gets down to the nitty gritty of how his products actually work.

I was relieved to read this and realise it is not just me having this problem. I only see the occasional item but have sat here thinking "what is this product about?" after one of his spiels. And there is a woman (LJ? TJ? Some initials anyway) and I have no more of a clue after she has spoken than I did before. They rattle off all the jargon but no hard information IMHO.

I more or less agree with all previous posts, but I wonder whether it depends who represented a brand when you first became aware of it. The "original" guests for Elemis when I first took notice of the brand was Bonnie and she was calm and restful to listen too which seemed more in keeping with brand's image than Keeley. If I were lying on a treatment bed having a facial I know whose voice I'd rather hear!
Lorraine the Kipling guest first got me interested in the brand and when she started MF was a poor substitute, not knowing the colours etc. She's improved so much but sadly I don't find the designs very tempting since they engaged new designers.
YBF just wouldn't be the same without Stacey. But I prefer the Mally shows with Teenie. Laura Geller is more watchable than Sarah Jagger, but she's ok and I still watch if there's something new on sale.

I'm finding this post a bit off hand,as would you have made the same comment if it were a female guest.

Lorraine the Kipling guest first got me interested in the brand and when she started MF was a poor substitute, not knowing the colours etc. She's improved so much but sadly I don't find the designs very tempting since they engaged new designers.YBF just wouldn't be the same without Stacey. But I prefer the Mally shows with Teenie. Laura Geller is more watchable than Sarah Jagger, but she's ok and I still watch if there's something new on sale.

Thanks Akimbo, yes it was Lorraine, not Elaine - and I agree totally with the comments.

(psssst, looks like treading on eggshells time AGAIN !!!)

The ones I really can't abide are the so called "fashion stylists/fashion editors" who have never seen the items, have no connection to them and we know for a fact wouldn't be seen dead in any of them. They stand there and prattle about how they are on trend/hot on the catwalk/what some z celeb is wearing.

I understand that owners and reps are there to sell but what are these bimbos there for. One actually came on to tell us how to wear a pair of gloves- that was the tin hat for me.

Otherwise, I would say that Techie Abbey is probably the worst quest for me, with Jill and Ann who do the wind chimes type of crap, coming very close on her tail. Unfortunately I think it is the voices together with s@@@e spoken and tat being sold just puts my teeth on edge.

Thank you everyone for the interesting and varied replies! I think that it may be to do with seeing a presenter and their product from the off, so you are used to them but then they send someone to substitute them and they're just not so good as the original. In the case of Yong Kim, has anyone ever seen this designer? It seems a little insulting to not even bother turning up for a debut on a shopping channel! Having a locum ambassador doesn't always work. The last time I watched a Yong Kim hour, the colours were all confused, and neither Ingrid nor the presenter knew what was happening. Not very professional but I don't think it was their fault. Calling stuff green when it's actually khaki or somesuch. I only buy things I really want but I have to say some presenters/brand ambassadors are more sincere and enthusiastic and therefore are more engaging to the viewer than others.

Are you more interested/engaged when certain people present items? I am thinking that Honora just wouldn't be the same without Ralph; and I am going to really miss Leighton Denny. I liked the Yankee Candle lady who used to present but doesn't any longer, Kipling bags isn't quite the same if Marie Francoise isn't there. I know people still miss Lenny from presenting Nina Leonard. Basso hours wouldn't be the same without Basso. I'm sure there are lots more. It's nice to see the designer actually showing their clothes and goods. Have you found yourself losing interest because of a stand-in?

Basso, minus the murderous, butchering sycophant, certainly wouldn't be the same; it wouldn't exist, thank God. Presenters like Dawbags and Miceal cause me to switch off, unless they are presenting a show I am especially interested in. The one show/guest I absolutely refuse to have on in my house, is this ostentatious narcissist, DB.

There have been several threads about whether Yong Kim is a real person. I don't know if it was ever decided that she was real or not. I don't find Ingrid Tarrant a good brand ambassador but even if they had the best representative in the world I still would not buy anything from this range.

That's fair enough Louise. I don't watch people I don't like either. Comparing him to other designers though, at least he fronts his shows, unlike others who send stand-ins.

There have been several threads about whether Yong Kim is a real person. I don't know if it was ever decided that she was real or not. I don't find Ingrid Tarrant a good brand ambassador but even if they had the best representative in the world I still would not buy anything from this range.

I think Yong Kim designs would suit me, but I simply refuse to pay the price. I don't think Ingrid is a natural presenter. I think it's pretty hard to strike a balance as a presenter and it's not an easy job per se.

I recently heard Micawl (?) discussing his attendance at the recent London fashions shows ............. um, what ? why ? is his day job a bone fide fashionista / columnist that we know very little about ? although his very dubious wearing of sock braces in a recent promo would make me think otherwise.

Miss Ellie a few people have recommended ebay sellers who make and/or sell similar lagenlook styles but far cheaper than YK; I remember two sellers: Electricboylondon and Carolineann661 (cos I bookmarked them for future ref). I agree that it's odd for a designer never to appear with their line. We were even treated to a phone call on air from Gale Hyman in the early days! Rumour has it there's no such person -like there was never a real Dorothy Perkins.

I own a couple of YK items, the best being a short black jacket in a heavy ponte fabric for £10 from Last Clicks and also this http://www.qvcuk.com/webapp/wcs/sto...word=151961&uattrmb=&ddkey=http:CatalogSearch which looks nothing like the photo and I've worn it a lot so it's almost worth what I paid for it..almost!

Latest posts

Back