Premier Tanzanite TSV 09/05/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am very wary of what constitutes "premier Tanzanite" as there is no Jewellery Industry-wide standardised definition. A load of hype about double A grade, triple A grade and so on, but all of it seems to be subjective. Is this "premier" version just another name Q have given to the range? I have concerns about how these jewellery channels (and Q) define certain gemstones, their supposed rarity and so on.

1ct AAA Tanzanite & 0.3ct Diamond Millennium Cut Platinum Ring
Item Number: 696780
QVC Price £1.250.00
Today's Special Value Price £899.88
P&P £5.95

A beautiful new cut - the Millennium cut creatively uses refracted light to increase the stone's brilliance from three dimensions, resulting in incredible levels of sparkle.

Vivid colour - AAA tanzanite has a rich and intense colour, and every ring will come with its own AnchorCert report from Birmingham Assay Office that guarantees this intensity of colour.

Millennium-cut AAA tanzanite: 1 x (8mm x 6mm) - sourced from Tanzania
Round-cut white diamonds: 46 x (1mm) - sourced from India
Hallmarked platinum
AnchorCert grading report included
Total gemstone weight: tanzanite: 1 carat; diamonds: 0.3 carat

All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.696780

Wonder why May is considered the time of year to have a TSV valued at £900? Whilst I know it is jewellery month I would have thought in the months leading to Christmas might be better?

Well it appears to be another in the style of Q - almost a grand for a hollowed out ring ??? even if it is platinum, and I would have thought that triple A would have been a much deeper colour.

Spend a thousand in a jewellers shop and you wouldn't get a ring that was hollowed in the band. So take off Q's profit margin and its worth is about half that amount.

I wonder if Tanzanite's rarity and limited supply (QVC's claims) make it more valuable and a long term investment, or if it will be forgotten in years to come and depreciate through lack of demand ?

Is there a commercial market for it now as there is for diamonds and other coloured precious stones ?

Why are they charging p&p on items worth hundreds and even thousands of pounds ?

I tend to believe it is hype . Maybe the odd huge stone will be worth something in future. But there is so much of it about on all the jewellery channels. I dont see how it can be as rare as they all state. The mine is clearly not running out any time soon.

Glad the hollowed out rings have been brought up.i notice on TJC they always want to avoid showing the inside of the band.

They were trotting out the heirloom piece malarkey this morning but that's nigh on ****** impossible to predict. Of course it can be passed on through the generations but whether it will be perceived to be valuable or desirable to future generations is just unknown.

I'm the family magpie so I have a lot of jewellery from previous generations but there are several pieces I just don't wear and some that I do. It tends to be the most simple pieces that I wear regularly. And two of the highest value pieces are never worn because they are just so obviously dated and somewhat OTT.

Lord knows how many of these rings they have available. It`s on sale in 11 different sizes and I daresay they have quite a few in each size too. That`s a heck of a lot of tanzanite for something they say is rare. In fact its so rare ( NOT ! ), lots of places now flog it set in silver. If I wanted to buy an heirloom I wouldn`t want a ring which is trotted out on selly telly and of which probably hundreds were available. For my just under a thousand squid, I`d sure as hell find something better or if I really wanted tanzanite then I`d buy a loose stone and have it set how I wanted.

They were trotting out the heirloom piece malarkey this morning but that's nigh on ****** impossible to predict. Of course it can be passed on through the generations but whether it will be perceived to be valuable or desirable to future generations is just unknown.

I'm the family magpie so I have a lot of jewellery from previous generations but there are several pieces I just don't wear and some that I do. It tends to be the most simple pieces that I wear regularly. And two of the highest value pieces are never worn because they are just so obviously dated and somewhat OTT.

I agree with you, l too have a couple of high insurance valuation inherited rings, but when I came to sell them, no jeweller was interested. I think the market is flooded now with second hand stuff so the insurance valuation price is just a Disney World evaluation. Having seen pieces being sold at auction on the tv, I've been stunned to see 18ct gold rings with diamonds sell for less than £200.

I no longer buy 'stuff' because it seems you have to have Royalty quality to see any appreciation for future generations.

Lord knows how many of these rings they have available. It`s on sale in 11 different sizes and I daresay they have quite a few in each size too. That`s a heck of a lot of tanzanite for something they say is rare. In fact its so rare ( NOT ! ), lots of places now flog it set in silver. If I wanted to buy an heirloom I wouldn`t want a ring which is trotted out on selly telly and of which probably hundreds were available. For my just under a thousand squid, I`d sure as hell find something better or if I really wanted tanzanite then I`d buy a loose stone and have it set how I wanted.

Having your own stone set means you have an absolute one off. My engagement ring is a one off and I've recently had a smoky quartz ring made in Rose gold with a diamond surround. Its very classic and simple and didn't come with a design fee as the jeweller took an existing design (white gold, sky blue topaz) and created my ring from that but it'll never be repeated unless someone comes in and asks him to design exactly the same thing.

But I buy for my pleasure. For the here and now. I'm not looking to make money. I'm looking to own beautiful pieces of jewellery that I want to wear.

I don't like coloured stones only diamonds, I love a good quality diamond and watching all that fire and colour bursting out. I don't buy for investment, I think it would be a long time down the line till any of my pieces become "antiques" so the kids are instructed that anything I have when my time comes, is to be sold and shared between them or give to their wives, because let's face it, either way I won't be around to see it :mysmilie_17:

I am very wary of what constitutes "premier Tanzanite" as there is no Jewellery Industry-wide standardised definition. A load of hype about double A grade, triple A grade and so on, but all of it seems to be subjective. Is this "premier" version just another name Q have given to the range? I have concerns about how these jewellery channels (and Q) define certain gemstones, their supposed rarity and so on.

I read there isn't really such a thing as AAAA Tanzo (Q were shilling some earlier) but I haven't a clue really. I know about as much about jewellery as Sara Griffiths knows about being likeable.

I have bought people some decent stuff though so I follow a simple rule from my experiences. Tanzo seems like Selly Telly fodder to me. Decent, real world jewellers I've visited don't seem to bother with Tanzo.

Therefore I don't either. Especially if it's 5 grand like on Q before :mysmilie_59:

None of the shopping channels tell you how fragile Tanzanite is during auctions; most reputable gem websites only recommend the stone for use in earrings or necklaces. They say it's not much use in rings or bracelets unless put into rubover, bezel or channel settings as sharp bumps or knocks can scratch or chip the stones

I have a diamond and tanzanite ring and l love it. I always wanted a tanzanite ring having been to Tanzania and even have my own photos of Mount Kilimanjaro. So when l was left some money from a beloved relative l decided to treat myself to one. It's one of my favourite things and l wear it every day.

i am into buying good second hand stuff and even though people laugh at clogau you can get quite good money for it second hand

Latest posts

Back