"Pre-loved"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nothing comes close to Amazons amazing customer service, I sent a pair of trainers I got the husband back, I recieved them Tuesday, went on line to request a refund, they said on line if I send them back within thirty days I'll get my refund immediately, I requested a collection Tuesday, picked up from home Wednesday and the money is back in my account Thursday, QVC will never come close to service like that.

I don't think Qs days are numbered, yes you can find stuff elsewhere and often cheaper but it's the presenter that make the difference to some people. Yes, we gripe on here but some people just don't agree with us and are happy to watch and be taken in by the hype.

They have presenters who are seriously marmite - you love them or you hate them. So the presenters can be a double-edged sword, especially if you've got regular viewers of the channel.

I think we may not yet represent a majority... let's face it, however much we think QVC is widely known, there are always people who have never heard of it, and are seduced by the novelty of it... but I think eventually their desire for publicity will become their undoing. It is an often repeated truth in sales that it is cheaper to sell to existing customers than to recruit new ones. So QVC's neglect of their existing customer base is short-sighted... the more they have to invest in their search for new customers, the tighter their profit margins will become. And there will be potential new suppliers, and some existing suppliers who will balk at QVCs demands to squeeze their own margins to maintain QVC's margins.

I would hope that there are people savvy enough at QVC to see that continuing exactly as they are is not going to sustain them. They will need to adapt to survive.

Last edited:
QVc has a unique selling point (USP) though - its 30 day MBG - no other retailer allows you to actually use the goods and then return them for a full refund (unless they prove to be faulty).

Sometimes I prefer to shop with Q because I know that I can give my purchase a thorough test drive yet be assured that if I don't like it I can still get my money back. I wouldn't have bought a Kitchenaid mixer or a Vitamix blender without Qs's USP - I'd wanted them for years but didn't want to risk buying something so expensive and then finding I didn't like it. Q gave me the confidence to spend that amount on gadgets because I knew that I could change my mind.

The only real downside to the MBG is that Q doesn't seem to have adequate quality control over inspecting returned goods. I don't think they intentionally send out used goods - I just don't think their staff are conscientious enough in their checks. Some goods are placed back into stock whereas they should be sent to the outlet shop.

So, I don't think they are guilty of deceit... just sloppy workmanship.

QVc has a unique selling point (USP) though - its 30 day MBG - no other retailer allows you to actually use the goods and then return them for a full refund (unless they prove to be faulty).

Sometimes I prefer to shop with Q because I know that I can give my purchase a thorough test drive yet be assured that if I don't like it I can still get my money back. I wouldn't have bought a Kitchenaid mixer or a Vitamix blender without Qs's USP - I'd wanted them for years but didn't want to risk buying something so expensive and then finding I didn't like it. Q gave me the confidence to spend that amount on gadgets because I knew that I could change my mind.

The only real downside to the MBG is that Q doesn't seem to have adequate quality control over inspecting returned goods. I don't think they intentionally send out used goods - I just don't think their staff are conscientious enough in their checks. Some goods are placed back into stock whereas they should be sent to the outlet shop.

So, I don't think they are guilty of deceit... just sloppy workmanship.

Yes but we should all bear in mind that you don't get something for nothing, with QVC or any other retailer for that matter.

For every one of us who makes use of the 30 day MBG, there will be someone getting our - possibly used and cleaned (we hope) returned goods.
Plus the cost of that 30 day MBG has to be paid for - probably out of those crazy P&P prices.

Yes but we should all bear in mind that you don't get something for nothing, with QVC or any other retailer for that matter.

For every one of us who makes use of the 30 day MBG, there will be someone getting our - possibly used and cleaned (we hope) returned goods.
Plus the cost of that 30 day MBG has to be paid for - probably out of those crazy P&P prices.

Perfectly aware of how companies have operating costs.

But, as I said, I am happy to pay for the privilege of being able to try something for an extended period.

Getting a returned item of clothing/bag etc should not be an issue to any of us - other retailers place returned items back on sale. It's the lack of checks of returned goods that lets Q down. Some items are returned to stock that should be sent to the outlet stores.

I think a lot of posters are reading to much into the 'revelation' that Q cleans earrings - and are assuming the same goes for all goods. Do you really believe that clothes will be laundered, ironed and then re-sold as new as a conscious business decision? Really?

So, as a choice, I choose to buy some things from Q because I can return them even though I've used them - Lakeland is the only other retailer I know that offers this service. It is then up to Q to send any used goods to their outlet rather than return them to stock.

I just got my vacuum cleaner robot on the 30 day MBG. Am going to set it loose before I go out to work tomorrow and see how it fares!

Ideal World have a fourteen day returns policy were you can try before you buy, on their auto delivery make-up its thirty day money back guarentee so it's not exclusive to QVC, neither is the return the 25th of January 2016 either. IW have an excellent customer service who get back to you in under 24 hours after emailing them so you don't even have to pay for the call, as we all know QVCs "free" phone number is nothing of the sort because the money's added on through the p&p, so I know with IW if I ever had to ring I'd be paying for my own call not everyone else's, I order on line which is free too. I bought the Nutrimaster which is a Vitamix, made by Vitamix for £149.99 free p&p on four flexi pay and I'm thrilled with it. I've just bought a Pearl Hair Remover and because I told them the little brush bristles were bent back (not IW fault it was Pearls) they sent me a new one out straight away, so don't think QVC are doing you any special favours because they're not, nothing in business is free, it's all about the profit.

Just adding that I'd sooner pay cheaper prices than a service I won't use.

Last edited:
Ideal World have a fourteen day returns policy were you can try before you buy, on their auto delivery make-up its thirty day money back guarentee so it's not exclusive to QVC, neither is the return the 25th of January 2016 either. IW have an excellent customer service who get back to you in under 24 hours after emailing them so you don't even have to pay for the call, as we all know QVCs "free" phone number is nothing of the sort because the money's added on through the p&p, so I know with IW if I ever had to ring I'd be paying for my own call not everyone else's, I order on line which is free too. I bought the Nutrimaster which is a Vitamix, made by Vitamix for £149.99 free p&p on four flexi pay and I'm thrilled with it. I've just bought a Pearl Hair Remover and because I told them the little brush bristles were bent back (not IW fault it was Pearls) they sent me a new one out straight away, so don't think QVC are doing you any special favours because they're not, nothing in business is free, it's all about the profit.

next time i see a vitamix demo in john lewis i am going to ask if vitamix and nutrimaster are the same thing that would be interesting

next time i see a vitamix demo in john lewis i am going to ask if vitamix and nutrimaster are the same thing that would be interesting

I bought mine a few months ago and done some research on them, I got on to some American website/forum were someone said they were made by the same people and others agreed, I'll try and find it again and put the link up, I myself believe they are because the Vitamix Jug is exactly the same as the Nutrimaster, does the same, same horse power etc, but the Nutrimaster is a nicer looking machine. IW, and the normal price is around £400 it's just I got mine cheaper because it was pick of the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered who my Nutrimaster is made by, I love it anyway. :mysmilie_14:

I have to agree with about Ideal World. I bought 3 Hannspree tablets from them 2 10.1 in and 13 in, all with 2 year guarantee. The 2 smaller ones kept crashing just after the 2 years ran out, so I emailed on the off chance that they could help and they did, emailed me pre-paid label and arranged collection. The tablets could not be repaired so got the option of refund or new tablets, I opted for tablets. When they arrived they were both newer versions. Never heard of Q doing that.

I have to agree with about Ideal World. I bought 3 Hannspree tablets from them 2 10.1 in and 13 in, all with 2 year guarantee. The 2 smaller ones kept crashing just after the 2 years ran out, so I emailed on the off chance that they could help and they did, emailed me pre-paid label and arranged collection. The tablets could not be repaired so got the option of refund or new tablets, I opted for tablets. When they arrived they were both newer versions. Never heard of Q doing that.

I can believe it dtb123, because they're not a big global American company I think some people think they're not as good to shop with, to me they're better than QVC, always have been.

I think a lot of posters are reading to much into the 'revelation' that Q cleans earrings - and are assuming the same goes for all goods. Do you really believe that clothes will be laundered, ironed and then re-sold as new as a conscious business decision? Really?
Please credit us with a little bit of sense. The point is that QVC are concerned enough about earrings to mention them specifically. Here's what Debbie Flint said on a Lola Rose hour:
And also you know you can think about presents for people. If you're not sure about earrings often you don't buy earrings but with QVC you get the chance to try them and send them back if you're not completely happy with them. We don't just send them out to other people. We have a sterilization process.

Tablets and computers are just as 'intimate'

Please credit us with a little bit of sense. The point is that QVC are concerned enough about earrings to mention them specifically. Here's what Debbie Flint said on a Lola Rose hour:

Yes but even with the so called sterilisation process it is still possible for something to be 'missed out', I know that other companies do draw the line at earrings and protectors (for the bed) and anything else that is 'intimate' as it were. I sometimes wonder with regards to other things such as tech I mean they encourage us to try it and if we don't like it to send it back. If someone has used it and put on files etc is this then 'military cleaned' before being re-sold as new, in fact can it legally be sold as new? Also with regards to software, I am wondering if anyone would get the software 'install' and then decide that they no longer want it and send it back (I am not saying that this happens but it could do), if they then sent the item out without checking whether the item code (if the software had one), has been used, as it will cause ill-will if it gets sent out and the person getting the 'new' item realises it isn't new is then not going to be very happy.

No whilst make-up, earrings even food I can understand, with regards to unsure over the returns policy, I actually think when it comes to computers if someone has used a 'box-fresh' computer for 30 days and really used it as 'part of the family' then how they restore it (especially if codes have been used), to factory default?

I have a friend who works in a local "posh" jewellers called Prestons of Bolton and they allow customers to try on earrings. She says almost everything they sell have several zeros in the price and they wouldn`t expect customers to pay such high prices without knowing whether the earrings suit them or are comfortable to wear. If a gentleman is buying earrings as a gift, then a female staff member will try them on for him. BUT she says they are absolutely fanatical about cleaning them afterwards. It`s one of those shops where certain items are never handled without gloves and everything is put into velvet trays for the customer to examine closely.

I have said this before, why are people so yucky yucky over earrings? If the person trying has open bleeding holes in their ears yes. Easy to spot the dried blood. Otherwise no. Actually no different on trying on someone else's rings or bracelets. It has said before on here they used to actually said they were cleaned in a Clave(sp). So you would never wear your mother, grandmother or great grandmother's earrings, your sister's or your aunt's? Or is it only strangers?

As for clothes all shops do it, people take home or even in the shop try on don't like or don't fit then brought back. These are just put straight back on the rails. Shoe shops you try shoes on there, you all really think you are the only person ever to try on that pair?:mysmilie_17: They will look at the soles to see if worn outside of course. Makeup is never suppose to be resold, things do slip through though. On Ebay people sell slightly used make up and it sells, quite easy to sanitize it anyway. Though I have seen some real jokes but because its a highend brand they think its okay to sell and think people will buy. No. Knickers have strips on them when you try on so it easy to see if they have been worn when returned.

I don't understand the earring thing either. Before the AIDS "crisis" in the eighties, anyone could rock up to a counter and try earrings on.

Knickers in the M&S store local to me don't have the strip, yet it's in swimwear. I wanted to try a cozzie on in store and pointed out that the strip was hanging off and would likely fall off completely when tried on. The assistant shrugged and told me they'd just either press it back on or stick a new one in. One I had delivered to home had the strip that went sideways when I tried on. I had a hell of a job getting them to accept it as a return. Lesson learnt: I won't be buying online in future unless I've tried on instore and know I definitely want it! I always try with clean undies on, though I have a work acquaintance who tries as she'd wear, says undies stop her seeing how something looks. I'm so glad I'm nowhere near the same size as her so won't ever "share" her undies/cozzies!

A lot of shoe shops and departments have those little pop sox to try shoes on, but I see people throw the used ones back into the tub! Misses the point completely. I also see a lot of people trying toe posts on without them. If I know I'm trying on, I now take my own.

My local Wallis staff wear the clothes out then return then to the rails after a pressing. Some of the clothes still have the sat-in creases that are hard to iron out unless washed first. Some stink of BO. They used to smell of cigarettes when smoking indoors was allowed :puke:.

As for make-up and skin care, well, unless it's in a sealed container, you really don't know who's tried it. Saturday mornings at our local Boots and Superdrug are a scrum of teens trying on at the stands. If a tester isn't there or one of their friends has it, they just dip into new stuff. Easy to see if you look on eye-shadows/powder blushers etc., but a lot more difficult with unsealed lip glosses and cream products.

I don't mind buying clothes etc. that others have tried on first. It wouldn't be economical or ecological to bin stuff that's just been tried on. If you have any doubts, clean it yourself first before using. But I do object to paying full retail price for what are basically used and second-hand goods.

These days more than ever companies live or die by their customer service. With stiff competition from Amazon and many other excellent online retailers QVC really needs to up their game. Their prices are ridiculous and to go sending out used items to customers is frankly insulting. The world is a different place to when QVC started. Then people shopped from catalogues and adverts in newspapers. Now people have so much more choice. Yes QVC do have a strong cashflow but they have been hit hard by competition. Why do you think we've seen the rise of the aggressive "hard sell?" Usually the glossier the presentation and the harder the sell, the more desperate the company.

The world is different but QVC are making money - can't see any evidence of them struggling and they have their 30 day guarantee which is partly what makes them expensive but also pretty unique.

You won't see any signs of them struggling because their global parent company QVC USA will pick up any slack, yes you're right I agree they are expensive, very expensive. IW give a 14 day mbg were you can try the item then return it, yet they don't make the customer pay the price, the products are great quality and great prices, as is the p&p.

You won't see any signs of them struggling because their global parent company QVC USA will pick up any slack, yes you're right I agree they are expensive, very expensive. IW give a 14 day mbg were you can try the item then return it, yet they don't make the customer pay the price, the products are great quality and great prices, as is the p&p.

I'd disagree about that - parent companies often let a company go rather than being a drain on it. That's why I don't think QVC is struggling.

Seeing an no one has any facts:

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=9206733

Shows they are doing well.

Latest posts

Back