Pope resigns. Smell a rat anyone?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
Not that I want to seem cynical, but the last pope to resign was in 1415. If they're in ill health they usually just back off from the public duties until they pop off.

So what's going on?

Something from his past maybe? Very fishy.

It seems more to do with the mental and physical stamina required for the role of Bishop of Rome. Pope Benedict has seemed rather frail for some time and has been advised by doctors to do no more long distance travelling. I watched with interest his visit to the UK a couple of years ago and admired how he coped with all the rigours of that week.

The previous Pope died in office but had been very unwell for years and therefore only able to perform his ministry in a very limited way. Not sure this was the best for the Catholic Church, and hopefully they will now select someone younger and more robust.

I'm not a Catholic but just a few weeks after Pope Benedict took office in the Vatican, a group of us attended his open air Sunday service and blessing in St Peter's Square. We were all (my DD's hen party) were impressed by how he welcomed individually the different groups of people, and had a warm greeting for all the different religions and nationalities also. It was a memorable occasion and I wish him well in his retirement.

Last edited:
He's 85.
Most men of 85 would struggle to cope with the rigours of a paper round, never mind being the head of the Catholic Church.
I hope he has many years yet to tend his vegetable patch and contemplate a peaceful retirement.

Last edited:
Yes lets hope the Catholic Church are simply moving with the times. They can hardly claim the compassionate prize if they sit back & let a poor frail man do an often punishing schedule daily can they x.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wouldn't you have thought, fishy reason or not, that the Pope ought to be on more than two weeks' notice!! :eek:)

Maybe it's simply his health, start of Alzheimer's or something. There are again maybe he finds himself unable to cope with the escalating corruption coming to light, too much for most to deal with the way it's going. Hopefully they will elect someone much younger this time, someone more in touch with modern life.

He's 85.
Most men of 85 would struggle to cope with the rigours of a paper round, never mind being the head of the Catholic Church.
I hope he has many years yet to tend his vegetable patch and contemplate a peaceful retirement.

I would like to join in your sentiments and wish the Pope a happy retirement....

Maybe it's simply his health, start of Alzheimer's or something. There are again maybe he finds himself unable to cope with the escalating corruption coming to light, too much for most to deal with the way it's going. Hopefully they will elect someone much younger this time, someone more in touch with modern life.

Yeh, someone who doesn't turn a blind eye to the misdemeanours of their own, whilst openly condemning homosexuality and abortion would be nice! :0)

I think condemning abortion is absolutley right! Homosexuality on the other hand...we are lucky enough to have a parish priest who has a more modern view on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think condemning abortion is absolutley right! Homosexuality on the other hand...we are lucky enough to have a parish priest who has a more modern view on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he cute and single? I've got a bit of a thing about priests!

As the majority of eligible voters are the current pope's nominees it is unlikely there will be a change in policy. What about the poor nuns who have to vacate their convent so he can live in the Vatican?

I must admit I thought I detected the whiff of mackerel when I heard this BB.
I really had hoped that there wasn't but having read recent articles on the matter I have a fishy feeling that a school of mackerel may well be heading Rome's way! Speaking as a girl who was raised as a catholic I had rather thought, in vain maybe, that just for once the top bods weren't up to worming their way out of something and it was because he was frail. Who knows what the end of the story will be. I'm not anti catholic now but I do think that religion is personal. How I live my life, respect others, do what ever I can to avoid anything to do with animal suffering if possible is my personal quest to try to be as decent as I can.

Last edited:
How sad it is that we can no longer take things at face value.

Of course you have every right to air your views on it Jabba. You're right Kathy, it's sad indeed but somehow I feel not totally unexpected. The history books are great testament to that

Yes the Nazi past was a tad "blurred over" wasn't it Jabba as was the alleged power he had over examining child abuse cases in the catholic establishments prior to becoming Pope according to many press articles. Honestly it seriously makes me wonder why? It wasn't like he was the only candidate for a job no one wanted was it?! & It wasn't like he was young when he took the job on!

Last edited:
To be honest they usually drag them out even when 99% dead. Look at John Paul, the man was one of the walking dead a number of years before he died.

This one was in charge when the child abuse scandal broke out in the US. He just moved them around to abuse other children, the church paid out millions of dollars. He was not liked at all. I watched a documentary a few years back.

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap. I mean how hard can it be to stand a wave, then mumble some Latin every Sunday.

Latest posts

Back