Poor Marverine

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Crinkly

Registered Shopper
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while, but last night's shows with Marverine have pushed me out of the closet.

I've seen a few threads where people have expressed a... few reservations... about particular presenters and their styles. Lol. And I generally agree, some people are just more naturally irritating than others! And I had Marverine fairly high on my personal irritation scale. The grimacing, eye rolling and hyped up manner were not restful.

But then I watched her on two shows last night and was quite taken aback. It was as if someone had frozen her head and eyes in place, and ironed out all the natural bubbly-ness that makes her who she is. She didn't look as if she was getting any pleasure out of the experience. I can only assume she's had one of those presenter style sessions where 'they' critique performance (like the one where the Philosophy guest was told he had to wax the back of his hands!).

I felt terrible for her. I would rather have a real person irritating me, than a censored carbon copy of the perfect plastic presenter.

What about you?

I didn't see her last night but then i wouldn't as i wouldn't be watching her in the first place as she irritates me so much!!

Welcome Crinkly - look forward to your contribution in future.

Welcome Crinkly , I watched 5mins or so of the Vitmax show and I get where your coming from , it was very uncomfortable viewing , she kept staring at the product and the guest seemed uncomfortable and kept filling the long pauses.

Welcome! I can't say I'm a Marverine fan either to be honest, I wouldn't mind a copy of someone I do like.

I'm in agreement with the previous posters, having watched the Kipling show at 10pm. I felt Marverine was making some strange comments and seemed quite nervy at times, it was quite excrutiating to watch really. On a positive note I think she's doing really well on her diet and I can see the weight loss already.

Ahhh bless her i hope that they are not knocking her confidence behind the scenes, i did think that she looks like she has lost weight.

Hi Crinkly and welcome to the forum. It is great on here! So much news and general info. I did see M the other day and thought she seemed a bit subdued but did not stay tuned in because I had no interest in the show. I usually find her very irritating though, I'm afraid.

I cannot watch her, but I don't want her spirit squashed - fly free Margarine and find something else you are more suited to :)

BIG WARM WELCOME Crinkly

I haven't seen much of her, but did catch a kipling show with her last night.
It was a bit strange - Marie Francois seemed to have been put off by her, whereas with other presenters she is really confident, pleasant, knowledgeable etc but with Maverine it just didn't flow.

Welcome. I can take her or leave her, I wouldn't say I am a fan but she isn't the worst by a long shot.

I noticed that, too. I think Marverine is having a bit of a culture shock on QVC. On daytime telly she was probably encouraged to be her natural self, whereas the gods at QVC seem to have a very limited idea of what we the viewers like in our presenters. Who knows, they may have read these posts and the comments of people who can't stand her and thought, aha! ripe for the old Q makeover, and couldn't wait to get their hands on her. I wouldn't like to be told (especially if it was true) you're too fat, you have annoying habits and your voice irritates, and if you don't do something about it, you're on a one-way ticket, particularly if I'd had a good career beforehand. How demoralizing must that be? I thought she seemed a bit down.

Seems like it's adapt or die. Who knows why Julian and Debbie really left??

She can't be that terrible or she wouldn't have passed the audition / screen test to get the job in the first place. QVC has always been a place where journalists work to keep the wolf from the door in between assignments / jobs. Glenn Thompsett, Suzanne Evett, Kabler, Paul Lavers, Whatley, and many more were all journalists.

paul lavers was a hoot no-one could tame him noy even qvc. he would nver fit in the qvc regime and good for him. ms m is a sweety i think shes a fun person. we need various types of presenters like the old days

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I'm always a bit of a sporadic visitor/poster due to endlessly changing schedules, so I'll probably post like mad for a bit, then disappear for a while, then leap back in like an unwanted relative at Xmas, but I look forward to getting to know you all.

Re Marverine, you may be right about the diet affecting her. It is hard to exude bright enthusiasm when half starved (I know!).

I noticed that, too. I think Marverine is having a bit of a culture shock on QVC. On daytime telly she was probably encouraged to be her natural self, whereas the gods at QVC seem to have a very limited idea of what we the viewers like in our presenters. Who knows, they may have read these posts and the comments of people who can't stand her and thought, aha! ripe for the old Q makeover, and couldn't wait to get their hands on her. I wouldn't like to be told (especially if it was true) you're too fat, you have annoying habits and your voice irritates, and if you don't do something about it, you're on a one-way ticket, particularly if I'd had a good career beforehand. How demoralizing must that be? I thought she seemed a bit down.

Seems like it's adapt or die. Who knows why Julian and Debbie really left??

Sorry, don't think that even if they read this forum it would have even the slightest effect otherwise JF would have had her P45 years ago. Like all businesses they hear only what they want to fit into their corporate plan.

It is like supermarkets who don't stock a particular brand of say washing powder so the shopper buys the one they do have so the managers say it is their best seller and there is no demand for brand X .

If you buy from Q despite the presenter then to Q that presenter has made a sale and all the negative comments on here will pass over their pea sized brains. There is none so blind as those who do not want to see.

Debbie and jules were very popular on the forum and generally but were not a hit with management/sales targets

Someone gave me some old magazines and in December edition of Glamour magazine there was an article where the journalist went to be a presenter and to do live shows on Q. It was an interesting read and I`ve tried to find the article online but can`t. She spoke in the article of the pressure to sell and how the number of units sold and cost in money is constantly shown on screen to the presenters as they talk. She also talked of the pressure sent down the ear piece to encourage presenters to try to up sales on the slowest selling option etc and how the highest amount of sales in one show for one item was over £1 million but she didn`t say what it was for and who by.

Latest posts

Back