Pearls and FlexZorb

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

W

watersiren

Guest Shopper
hi everyone!

i've been told a couple of times that keeping pearl jewellery in flexzorb lined jewellery box may damage the pearl nacre.

is there any truth in this claim? :33:
what is your experience and your advice on best storing pearl jewellery?

many thanks xx

Hi watersiren. I recently heard this too.
However, I have kept some of my pearls in flexzorb for over a year now and they are undamaged. I also heard the saleslady on QVC a couple of weeks ago saying it was fine for pearls.
I don't really know where this information is coming from to be honest, I can't even remember where I heard/read it!!! I certainly hope it's safe, as I have rather a lot and I'd hate to see them destroyed.

Storing pearls

Hi,
I keep my pearls in my Lori Greiner mirror wardrobe safekeeper and have done so for a couple of years. They all seem O.K. The lining absorbs harmful chemicals from the air to stop them causing the silver to discolour - I think I read it is sulphur in the air that causes the tarnish, but I am not certain. I have also heard the Flexzorb guest state that it is safe to store pearls in Flexzorb and so far mine are fine.
:1::1::1:

My pearls have lived in flexorb for varying amounts of time from six months up to about 5 years and aren't just honora (no expensive ones thought lol) they are varying colours both naturally altered and dyed and all are fine. They spend most of the time in there actually because I don;t wear them so often now I am retired and mostly slob around in jeans and sweats

I don't currently own any pearls & have never used the anti-tarnish storage but I love silver & as well as jewellery, own several hundred pieces of silver & silver-plated cutlery items!
The only caution I would exercise in storing silver & pearls together in such a way is that they do of course have quite opposing storage requirements!

Silver is best kept in a dry place as humidity promotes & accelerates tarnishing & the use of dessicated silica gel sachets (for all silver items) can be helpful in slowing this down.
This would however be damaging to pearls long-term as they require some exposure to humidity or they will dry out & become possibly permanently damaged!

Pearls can also be stored in felt for example but again, this accelerates the tarnishing of sterling or plated silver so should be avoided!
If they say Flexzorb is safe for pearls then I suppose it must be but I would perhaps still take any pearls out for a bit of 'fresh air' every so often rather than leaving them shut up constantly!

I agree

I don't currently own any pearls & have never used the anti-tarnish storage but I love silver & as well as jewellery, own several hundred pieces of silver & silver-plated cutlery items!
The only caution I would exercise in storing silver & pearls together in such a way is that they do of course have quite opposing storage requirements!

Silver is best kept in a dry place as humidity promotes & accelerates tarnishing & the use of dessicated silica gel sachets (for all silver items) can be helpful in slowing this down.
This would however be damaging to pearls long-term as they require some exposure to humidity or they will dry out & become possibly permanently damaged!

Pearls can also be stored in felt for example but again, this accelerates the tarnishing of sterling or plated silver so should be avoided!
If they say Flexzorb is safe for pearls then I suppose it must be but I would perhaps still take any pearls out for a bit of 'fresh air' every so often rather than leaving them shut up constantly!

Hi,
I agree about the need for airing pearls, but since mine are in the Lori Greiner mirror storage unit, it is opened several times a day and I wear my pearls quite a lot. I have a lot of pearls and like to give them all an outing in rotation. My husband has even dared to suggest that I have too many pearls - ridiculous idea!

:54::54::54:

Parls and Flexzorb

Hi,
I agree about the need for airing pearls, but since mine are in the Lori Greiner mirror storage unit, it is opened several times a day and I wear my pearls quite a lot. I have a lot of pearls and like to give them all an outing in rotation. My husband has even dared to suggest that I have too many pearls - ridiculous idea!

:54::54::54:

Get his mouth washed out immediately!!

Ralph endorsed the Lori Greiner safekeeper system

Hi,
In answer to a t-caller on air last night, who was requesting Honora make jewellery boxes to keep pearls in, Ralph said they had no plans to, but he recommended the Lori Greiner safekeeper wardrobes to store Honora pearls.

I have just received information to say that we should NOT be keeping our pearls in these Prezerve jewellery organisers. Its like Ralph always says.... pearls need to breathe and they can't if we keep them in a sealed compartment.

So I guess I'll have to do a major reshuffle with my jewellery and find somewhere else to keep all my pearls.

Try the Lori greiner wardrobe!

I have just received information to say that we should NOT be keeping our pearls in these Prezerve jewellery organisers. Its like Ralph always says.... pearls need to breathe and they can't if we keep them in a sealed compartment.

So I guess I'll have to do a major reshuffle with my jewellery and find somewhere else to keep all my pearls.

Hi Sue,
You could try the Lori Greiner wardrobe - air can get to the pearls when you open the door, which you do several times a day to get stuff out and put it back. Sometimes, I open mine just to look at my beautiful pearls! My grand-daughter likes to look at my jewellery when she comes to visit and now that the little one is two and a half, I have no doubt she will want to look at "Nanna's pretties" also. It probably won't be too long before they want to wear the pretty things as well, but I will be careful which items I let them borrow - it won't be my pearls.....

:59::59::59:

Hi Sue, I hope you don't mind me asking, but could you let us know where this came from? I only query it as I heard the Prezerve lady say it was safe and Plint heard it from Ralph, so I'd like to compare the credibility of the source if you know what I mean. Not meaning to imply anything against you, please don't be offended!!! I just bought a second Lori Greiner cabinet as I'd filled the wardrobe thing to bursting point, and I'm still in my 30 days to send it back if it's no good for my pearls.
Thanks!

I did a search on the QVC site for Greiner and it came up with a couple of items.

I was a little concerned about the reviews on one of them
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.754021

There are only a few reviews but a couple of them imply that the nacre on their pearls was damaged when using this product.
The wardrobe may be different as it probably has more space around the jewellery.

Just thought I'd post this on here as it is relevant.

Hi Sue, I hope you don't mind me asking, but could you let us know where this came from? I only query it as I heard the Prezerve lady say it was safe and Plint heard it from Ralph, so I'd like to compare the credibility of the source if you know what I mean. Not meaning to imply anything against you, please don't be offended!!! I just bought a second Lori Greiner cabinet as I'd filled the wardrobe thing to bursting point, and I'm still in my 30 days to send it back if it's no good for my pearls.
Thanks!

I don't mind you asking at all. I actually emailed QVC when I read this as I was worried with having so many Honora pieces. They answered this morning and said they had asked their buying department is pearls are suitable for Flexzorb and the answer was no, they are not.

I do know someone who also owns lots of Honora and she said she keeps hers in a Lori Greiner silver safekeeper.

Hope this helps.

Well as I said, my pearlsare in Prezerve storage and I've had no probs in the last 5 ish years.....what i would point out though is that I have the boxes which are definitely not airtight and the pearls aren't sealed in those plastic pockets....maybe that makes a difference?

the silver still stays clean though

I agree

Hi,
I agree that confining the pearls into small airless spaces could well be an issue. I have just looked at all my Honora and Gems of the Orient pieces very carefully - that took some time, I can tell you LOL... They have all been stored in my Lori mirror wardrobe, some for several years and hang on the necklace and bracelet hooks and the earring storage bit. All are in perfect condition, but they are open to the air and not in sealed compartments. I think that might be the difference. The mirror wardrobe is most definately not airtight and is opened several times a day.

I hope this helps.

Pearls & FlexZorb

I bought a jewellery armoire when it was a OTO just before Christmas and I keep my Honora in that. It's lined with flexzorb in the top part (which opens up like an old fashioned school desk) but like the Lori Greiner mirrored cabinet, it gets opened up regularly so hopefully the pearls will be OK in it. BTW - just received the interchangeable ring and it's stunning!

Hi,
The mirror wardrobe is most definately not airtight and is opened several times a day.

lol plint, that has given me an image of you spending all day every day swapping your jewellery around! Pearls at breakfast darling, then some coloured stones to match my daytime outfit for lunch at the Ritz, and of course you simply must go with diamonds for those evening balls...

Of course

lol plint, that has given me an image of you spending all day every day swapping your jewellery around! Pearls at breakfast darling, then some coloured stones to match my daytime outfit for lunch at the Ritz, and of course you simply must go with diamonds for those evening balls...

Hi,
That just about sums me up - I make a point of wearing pearls to get the dustbin in and weed the garden....one never knows who might be passing!

:3::3::3:

Latest posts

Back