Overpackaging

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

frou-frou

Registered Shopper
I have been aware over the years of some items received in WAY too much packaging or too big a box.

But in the last week I have received 3 brilliant examples of this and I wanted to share them.

I understand that things need to be protected but these could have easily been in smaller boxes or even a jiffy bag, particularly the hair piece. (there was padding in the boxes but I took that out for the pics)

Given that we all have a lot to say about P&P costs I think this only makes it worse.

I'd love to see your examples too...

PS to attach pictures in replies you need to click 'go advanced' at bottom of reply box and use paperclip take you to upload attachment window :happy:

Attachments

• SAM_0258.jpg
    SAM_0258.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 353
  • SAM_0293.jpg
    SAM_0293.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 338
  • SAM_0294.jpg
    SAM_0294.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 342
I haven't got the boxes any more, but Smashbox are terrible for this - they put a tiny item like a lipgloss in a HUGE black box full of bubble wrap, it's like a lucky dip trying to find your item!

I complained to QVC about it, and they said it would be looked into blah blah blah, not had anything from SB for a while so would be interested to know if anything's changed, doubt it though!

I have bought a lot of pieces of jewellery and wish that there was some way such pieces could be shipped without the presentation box/gift box. I now have more than plenty of them in case I want to give a gift of jewellery. I do not need to worry about getting a box. I want items to be delivered safe and sound and able to make a return journey if they don't work out. But I don't like to throw them out and have for the moment have put them in storage in the attic.

Perhaps they use only a few different sized boxes to keep both manufacturing and storage costs down ( sounds odd but it would save cash).

On the other hand do the companies pack their own goods and "ship" them direct to the QVC warehouse? (the Bobbi Brown and Smashbox boxes look the same).

The jewellery will probably add a few grams to the postage weight but QVC will add a couple of ££.

Either way, they keep reminding us they are the largest shopping channel in the world, so they should take responsibility.

I found it to be the opposite when I recently ordered a bag. The bag was sent to me in plastic packet. I kinda wish it had been packaged properly in a box like the last bag I ordered was.

It really is one of the reasons I try and shop elsewhere now rather then QVC too, just as another forumnite mentioned. I only buy if it is a really good value item and I can not get it elsewhere

The packaging varies so much from quite sensible to B ridiculous as found by Frou Frou.I received some skincare items the other week & the boxes wer packed with those polystyrene 'chips' ( the things that look like those cheesy snacks).I swear they were reproducing as I emptied the box and which re-cycling bin do they belong in?

On this subject I have just had delivered in the BIGGEST box, a Bare Escentuals foundation.

Bare Escentuals box measures just under 4x4

The delivery packaging 11x7:wonder:

It was not particulary cushioned either. for once not loads & loads of those polysterine thingys.

I have bought a lot of pieces of jewellery and wish that there was some way such pieces could be shipped without the presentation box/gift box. I now have more than plenty of them in case I want to give a gift of jewellery. I do not need to worry about getting a box. I want items to be delivered safe and sound and able to make a return journey if they don't work out. But I don't like to throw them out and have for the moment have put them in storage in the attic.

I agree! Or we should be able to get money back on our "empties" or build up credit points or something. I have quite a few boxes and have no idea what to do with them.

I have the same complaint...always loads of polystyrene bits and tiny things in boxes way too big. However, this morning received an order from Just Beauty Direct (my first) and the opposite complaint..it was in a slightly padded envelope and the Royal Mail had had to put stickers on the flap, otherwise I might have received an empty envelope!

Over-packaging is one of our bugbears about QVC. We're not eco-warriors but want to do our bit and QVC don't really help at times. According to my OH, the polystyrene chip things can't be recycled but the ones made of corn starch (as used by Liz Earle) can be composted if you have a compost bin in your garden. They look pretty similar but the corn starch ones dissolve if you put them in water. OH shoves one under the tap when they arrive and growls if it retains its shape...

We contacted QVC about this and they said they'd look into using greener packaging. They said they'd get back to us...and that was about about four years ago.

I'm sure companies get fined now if their packaging waste is excessive. They have to complete a form every year online with the express purpose of trying to bring down their waste each year. I know it probably does save them money having just a few 'standard' size boxes, but such a large company really should be more environmentally friendly. They seem to be going from one extreme to the other.

Latest posts

Back