Orla Kiely coming to Q ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just been cleaning some windows which made me think of something else....Vision Net Curtains! The ones with bigger holes and no stitching was required for the side edges, they just needed cutting and were ready to hang. Anyone else remember these?

Just been cleaning some windows which made me think of something else....Vision Net Curtains! The ones with bigger holes and no stitching was required for the side edges, they just needed cutting and were ready to hang. Anyone else remember these?

My Mum once had cream ones of these in her front windows and I hated them. The cream ones just looked like white turned grubby but she liked them. She was always a fan of net curtains and I can remember her dolly blue -ing them when she had white nets. There was much pride back then with net curtains and front doorsteps, both had to be spotless.

My Mum once had cream ones of these in her front windows and I hated them. The cream ones just looked like white turned grubby but she liked them. She was always a fan of net curtains and I can remember her dolly blue -ing them when she had white nets. There was much pride back then with net curtains and front doorsteps, both had to be spotless.

Yes, the robin blue in a bowl. I've still got a small packet of it somewhere, not that I hoard of course. Robin blue and Cardinal Red tile polish were pretty much staples in my mother's house and to a lesser extent mine, as I am much more slovenly.

Not forgetting the brasses

Not forgetting the brasses

Yep a sparkling brass door knocker and letter box were also essential but my Mum never liked brass ornaments. Even the fire grate got a good polishing lol and I remember us having a set of brass pokers, fire tongs, small brush and pan for cleaning the hearth.

My mum had brass ornaments on the mantelpiece - I don't think she was all that fussed on them but I think they were the in thing in her day.

We sound like a bunch of old fogies and young ones will be rolling their eyes in much the same way I did when she used to talk about blackening the range and how we didn't know we were born.

Anyone else been watching "Back in Time for Dinner" on BBC2? It's covering home life in the 1970s tonight so should rekindle more fond memories!!

I watched earlier episodes but didn't like it at all, thought it was someone's ideas of the 50's and 60's rather than factual. Also couldn't take to the family.

I watched it and that woman couldn`t cook for toffee !
Everything she made looked horrible.
My Mum had 4 kids born in the late 40`s and early 50`s and God knows how she did it but we were all extremely well fed with good nutricious food. Treats such as sweets, ice cream and fizzy pop were rare but we caught no harm and were probably a darned sight healthier than some kids today.

I watched it and that woman couldn`t cook for toffee !
Everything she made looked horrible.

My Mum had 4 kids born in the late 40`s and early 50`s and God knows how she did it but we were all extremely well fed with good nutricious food. Treats such as sweets, ice cream and fizzy pop were rare but we caught no harm and were probably a darned sight healthier than some kids today.

I know....not surprised the son didn't fancy much! What about that disgusting pea ring she served up which collapsed?

My Mum only had two children (mid and late 40's) but she produced some fabulous meals with limited funds and produce. Her apple pies were to die for and I think of them every time I'm preparing the very same fruit now.

I watched it. I think they made a poor choice of family to participate. The wifey pulls a face like there's a persistent bad smell under her nose, and she admits she never does the cooking at home (which shows, as she is completely hopeless at it). She can barely open a tin, for goodness sake.
It has been interesting though, to see how quickly things moved on post war, especially in terms of labour saving devices we now take for granted. I well remember having no fridge or washing machine. Mum used to put jelly out in the shed overnight to set!

Once I saw the husband hacking a tin to pieces with a tin opener I knew it wasn't a show for me. He was no spring chicken so surprised it was such a mystery to him.

Surprisingly the teenage daughters were the least annoying of the whole family, at least the bits I watched.

My mum had brass ornaments on the mantelpiece - I don't think she was all that fussed on them but I think they were the in thing in her day.

We sound like a bunch of old fogies and young ones will be rolling their eyes in much the same way I did when she used to talk about blackening the range and how we didn't know we were born.

Have you found yourself a bit 'anti' brass and copper things like fire irons that need polishing? I have as I associate them with drudgery now.

I don't mind (well not much anyway) cleaning anything I really like and have chosen myself but otherwise no. I like antique silver and antique glass and I don't like to see either of these dirty.

The one thing I remember about my mum was that she wouldn't leave washing/ironing/cleaning undone even if the offer of going somewhere nice clashed with set days for doing things or would work into the wee small hours to get it done beforehand.

I could and do, easily leave things undone except for ironing. Once washed I like it ironed but would quite happily ignore it before it is washed! I don't enjoy ironing but I dislike unironed clothes even more.
I think it is because I never feel "neat" and think if I didn't start the day ironed up I would feel even more untidy than I do.

I don't mind (well not much anyway) cleaning anything I really like and have chosen myself but otherwise no. I like antique silver and antique glass and I don't like to see either of these dirty.

The one thing I remember about my mum was that she wouldn't leave washing/ironing/cleaning undone even if the offer of going somewhere nice clashed with set days for doing things or would work into the wee small hours to get it done beforehand.

Yes, Monday wash days etc: funny thing is that it's seeped into me a bit, the whole doing certain things on certain days. I don't think I'd pass over a meal out for it, though.

I watched it. I think they made a poor choice of family to participate. The wifey pulls a face like there's a persistent bad smell under her nose, and she admits she never does the cooking at home (which shows, as she is completely hopeless at it). She can barely open a tin, for goodness sake.
It has been interesting though, to see how quickly things moved on post war, especially in terms of labour saving devices we now take for granted. I well remember having no fridge or washing machine. Mum used to put jelly out in the shed overnight to set!

Goodness, she was worse than ever tonight and just moaned and groaned about most things apart from the fact that she did say at the end of the show "this was a decade I would be sorry to leave"!!

I couldn't understand why the week she received the weeks ration of meat which was liver she cooked it all at once and served it up cold for the children's meal. They were never going to like liver anyway and certainly not cold boot leather.

Also would the bread not have been either better toasted or fried in the dripping rather than spread with it at every single meal - not that I have any notion of bread and dripping myself as it is not something we ever had at home.

Latest posts

Back