Oops how funny

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Years back when Channel 4 did the documentary about IW opening and comparing to QVC. They showed a beauty with AY and said in that hour they had sold something like 30.000 units.

QVC will not get the full price, don't forget they have to made sure the vendor gets enough to make they want to sell on QVC. I will say QVC would get 1/3-1/2 of the price. The vendor has to pay the person who aparts on their behalf on QVC, its not the latter. Can't see Tarrant doing it cheap for her beloved Yong Kim

So now we know why YK prices are so silly - we* customers are funding Ms T's sleb* lifestyle.

*loosely speaking

i suspect young kim is looked as a more premium brand. the constructions and cut are very good mostly hence the premium prices

Years back when Channel 4 did the documentary about IW opening and comparing to QVC. They showed a beauty with AY and said in that hour they had sold something like 30.000 units.

QVC will not get the full price, don't forget they have to made sure the vendor gets enough to make they want to sell on QVC. I will say QVC would get 1/3-1/2 of the price. The vendor has to pay the person who aparts on their behalf on QVC, its not the latter. Can't see Tarrant doing it cheap for her beloved Yong Kim

I've just bought from IW two salt and pepper dispensers shaped like a snowman, a set of Elizabeth Grants lip moisture sticks (only £9.99 for four and £1.99 p&p) they're like Gayle Haymens lip lift but better, and much cheaper, and Delia Smiths Frugal cookbook all for a whopping total of £22.94, can't get much from QVC for under twenty three pounds, so I believe QVC are very greedy were profits are concerned. IW beauty section has some amazing products, and brilliant prices too.

Last edited:
The thing is ...for me ....yes these escersise things help but just gardening ( if lucky to have one of course..our is small ) housework ...walking ..swimming ...all help,and have to be less strain on the body ...and less expensive ...I hav bought hundreds of the blinking things over the years and yes they do make you feel more energetic etc but they get boring ...perhaps it's me .....fed up with lining pockets of people who are just getting greedier and greedier and arrogant ...I'd make sure I had a washboard gut if I was getting the airtime and bucket loads of dosh ...not saying that davina doesn't work hard but for me...every,day excersise inclucing dancing ;0)))) ..is the best for sustained fitness .......DVDs are a start but not the be all and end all as QVC and the like portray ..rant over lol

The thing is ...for me ....yes these escersise things help but just gardening ( if lucky to have one of course..our is small ) housework ...walking ..swimming ...all help,and have to be less strain on the body ...and less expensive ...I hav bought hundreds of the blinking things over the years and yes they do make you feel more energetic etc but they get boring ...perhaps it's me .....fed up with lining pockets of people who are just getting greedier and greedier and arrogant ...I'd make sure I had a washboard gut if I was getting the airtime and bucket loads of dosh ...not saying that davina doesn't work hard but for me...every,day excersise inclucing dancing ;0)))) ..is the best for sustained fitness .......DVDs are a start but not the be all and end all as QVC and the like portray ..rant over lol

Very well put, May!

Incorporating more activity in general life is much better, and sustainable, than occasionally whipping out a DVD... and as you say, unless you have a whole raft of the things, they get boring after a while.

Plus for a lot of types exercises, you really do need someone to see and correct what you're doing so you don't get injured (pilates, yoga, tai-chi etc), or so the exercise does what it's intended to. Once you've got the correct tips, you can do on your own - and probably no need for a DVD either. So many of the DVDs have music which grates.

Many years ago when Jane Fonda's aerobics (feel the burn) craze was at its height, I got the video. To this day, there are certain 1980's dance classics that I can't hear without thinking of my younger self, as a beached whale, huffing and puffing through one more of whatever torture Jane and her minions had dreamed up!

Very well put, May!

Incorporating more activity in general life is much better, and sustainable, than occasionally whipping out a DVD... and as you say, unless you have a whole raft of the things, they get boring after a while.

Plus for a lot of types exercises, you really do need someone to see and correct what you're doing so you don't get injured (pilates, yoga, tai-chi etc), or so the exercise does what it's intended to. Once you've got the correct tips, you can do on your own - and probably no need for a DVD either. So many of the DVDs have music which grates.

Many years ago when Jane Fonda's aerobics (feel the burn) craze was at its height, I got the video. To this day, there are certain 1980's dance classics that I can't hear without thinking of my younger self, as a beached whale, huffing and puffing through one more of whatever torture Jane and her minions had dreamed up!

Right back at you maymorganlondon :mysmilie_59:

Over the years there have been many Z-lebs who`ve done diet or exercise DVD`s and then a couple of years down the line or even less time than that, you see them carrying an extra 2 stones, eating at Macdonalds or lying drunk or smacked out of their heads somewhere. Very few practise what they preach after they`ve made their money out of the DVD.
There`s the actress Natalie Cassidy from Eastenders (nowadays at least 2 stones overweight ), Kerry Katona (no explanation needed !), the blonde girl from Steps (weight up and down like a yo yo ), Daniella Westbrook (of cocaine fame ), Fern Britton ( secret gastric band op ) to name just a few who`ve done fitness and diet dvd`s but are far from living a good healthy lifestyle these days. I`m sure there are many more who`ve cut and run after pocketing the dosh. I have no faith in any of the supposed celeb mantras for weight loss or fitness and many of them in later life admit to having had eating disorders ie Nicole Scherzinger.
I`m not saying Davina will do the same but DF certainly doesn`t seem to practise what she preaches.

I've never bought any of the dvd's - all those Mr Motivator 'types', backed by a chorus of pony tailed young things, who have never devoured a chip in their life, totally put me off with all their knee high prancing.

As MM says, walking the dog, and the general running around in life is exercise enough. I went to a Zumba class - ONCE ! I developed a stitch half way through and spent the rest of the class slumped up against the community hall wall ! I was so disappointed - there I was expecting to dancercise to Latin American music that I knew and could identify with, but instead it was a specially concocted Zumba mix of whooping, yelling and repetitive carnival noises, and nothing like the samba/cha cha cha / salsa stuff I know and love. (A bit like watching Strictly couples doing the Tango to a modern rock song in tango time - wrooooooong !)

I've never bought any of the dvd's - all those Mr Motivator 'types', backed by a chorus of pony tailed young things, who have never devoured a chip in their life, totally put me off with all their knee high prancing.

As MM says, walking the dog, and the general running around in life is exercise enough. I went to a Zumba class - ONCE ! I developed a stitch half way through and spent the rest of the class slumped up against the community hall wall ! I was so disappointed - there I was expecting to dancercise to Latin American music that I knew and could identify with, but instead it was a specially concocted Zumba mix of whooping, yelling and repetitive carnival noises, and nothing like the samba/cha cha cha / salsa stuff I know and love. (A bit like watching Strictly couples doing the Tango to a modern rock song in tango time - wrooooooong !)

Watching a QVC Zumba show was enough to convince me that it wasn't for me. I'd rather learn a dance properly, not a strange mixture of standard aerobics and dance steps - and with all that "hey aren't we having a good time" noise - not my style.

Yes, I agree that it's best to incorporate activity into your daily life, but that's not always physically possible for everyone so while it's true in principle, sometimes some of us need a little extra help and I find the bodyblade indispensible. To each his own but DVDs are not that help because I don't buy into myths and legends.

Yes, I agree that it's best to incorporate activity into your daily life, but that's not always physically possible for everyone so while it's true in principle, sometimes some of us need a little extra help and I find the bodyblade indispensible. To each his own but DVDs are not that help because I don't buy into myths and legends.

Bruce is someone with a lot of credibility - as a physical therapist, as a real example of what is possible as you get older, with his knowledge of how the exercises are actually working on the body. Bodyblade is a well designed and very clever piece of equipment, and suitable for using however fit or active you are or are not. It's quite simple to build into everyday life, and doesn't have to be set up and cleared down, and you don't have to wear any kind of special clothes. In that respect I would include it with everyday activity. I have one myself, and enjoy using it (probably not as much as I should use it though!).

The truth is there is only one way to cut the weight healthily, and that's to exercise more (assuming you are physically able to) and eat less, changing your eating patterns to eat more healthy foods! There are no "quick fixes" that are healthy and risk-free (gastric band op. is not risk-free, no operation ever is).

These so-called celebs (including names you've already mentioned, Vienna) promoting their latest get-slim-quick snake oil or "exercise DVD" really hack me off. They might make a quick passing reference to "see your Doctor before beginning an exercise programme" - but assuming you do this and get the OK, will the Doc. or Practice Nurse be living with you in your house watching that you do the exercises properly and don't strain something? Answer = no. The things that these "slebs" advocate usually lead in the direction of eating disorders, often including rapid weight gain at a later date. Assuming you are physically able to do exercise, the best thing is to go to an exercise class, at least for a while, to learn how to do exercises properly, to minimise chances of damaging something. And, as someone has already said on here, if you are physically able to do your own normal housework, just doing housework (& walking up and down stairs), gardening and walking are far less wearing on the joints and will have results, if combined with a healthy diet. I've caught glimpses of Kerry K and Natalie C in newspapers recently - oh my Gawd, perfect adverts for NOT buying their DVDs.

QUOTE=Vienna;806217]Over the years there have been many Z-lebs who`ve done diet or exercise DVD`s and then a couple of years down the line or even less time than that, you see them carrying an extra 2 stones, eating at Macdonalds or lying drunk or smacked out of their heads somewhere. Very few practise what they preach after they`ve made their money out of the DVD.
There`s the actress Natalie Cassidy from Eastenders (nowadays at least 2 stones overweight ), Kerry Katona (no explanation needed !), the blonde girl from Steps (weight up and down like a yo yo ), Daniella Westbrook (of cocaine fame ), Fern Britton ( secret gastric band op ) to name just a few who`ve done fitness and diet dvd`s but are far from living a good healthy lifestyle these days. I`m sure there are many more who`ve cut and run after pocketing the dosh. I have no faith in any of the supposed celeb mantras for weight loss or fitness and many of them in later life admit to having had eating disorders ie Nicole Scherzinger.
I`m not saying Davina will do the same but DF certainly doesn`t seem to practise what she preaches.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I laughed so much I don't think my drawers are going to dry all day. Oops. Sorry. TMI.

Over the years there have been many Z-lebs who`ve done diet or exercise DVD`s and then a couple of years down the line or even less time than that, you see them carrying an extra 2 stones, eating at Macdonalds or lying drunk or smacked out of their heads somewhere. Very few practise what they preach after they`ve made their money out of the DVD.
I`m not saying Davina will do the same but DF certainly doesn`t seem to practise what she preaches.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Davina McCall had anorexia and a drug addiction problem when she was younger. She looks incredibly well now and I hope she remains that way. I most certainly will not be purchasing any keep fit DVD's. I know what I should be doing to keep myself fit and the fact is, at times, I just don't do enough exercise. Shame on me!

Me and my sister's used to work out like crazy to a Cindy Crawford DVD in the 90s. Years later when I was pregnant with my first baby, the midwife asked if I was a gymnast or athlete as she thought my abs were amazing! Over the years I cut back on the exercise but I have always been a regular weight, and anytime my weight goes up to the point that I am uncomfortable with it, I will have only fruit at dinner and my weight soon goes back to normal.
Recently I started exercising again and I have to admit that exercise makes me feel good about myself. I do some yoga stretches, about 20 sit-ups, 20 lunges and 20 press ups and then bounce like mad on my rebounder (not from QVC). I love it - best exercise ever as it doesn't feel like you are exercising, more like the feeling you had as a kid when jumping on your parents bed!

I would find an exercise DVD very boring - all that yacking away. No thanks.

In the 80s I bought into the keep fit by DVD craze, what else was there? Years later I bought into the Zumba craze and unintentionally realised I could do the splits..............message to self, don't wear fleece socks on wooden floor whilst attempting to do Zumba :mysmilie_14:

I am all for walking ...and would not press people of course if not able ..li am saying if you have two legs that work then use them and you don't have to " go for the burn"

In the 80s I bought into the keep fit by DVD craze, what else was there? Years later I bought into the Zumba craze and unintentionally realised I could do the splits..............message to self, don't wear fleece socks on wooden floor whilst attempting to do Zumba :mysmilie_14:

Now that's what I read the shoppingtelly forum for; those splutter your tea all over the keyboard moments! I have dribbled all down my top but I don't care!!

Latest posts

Back