'Only official retailer of Smashbox'...or not?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

R

RedT

Guest Shopper
I'm wondering how QVC can get away with continually stating that they are the only official retailer of Smashbox in the UK? Aren't the presenters always on about how they can't say anything which isn't true and there are strict guidelines about this etc? They often mention that things have had to be run by their legal departments too.

Surely the Smashbox counters at Birmingham airport etc and our own lovely JBD are offocial retailers of Smashbox and QVC must be well aware of them? It annoys me so much I'm almost tempted to mail their CS and see what they say!

Tx

Surely the Smashbox counters at Birmingham airport etc and our own lovely JBD are offocial retailers of Smashbox and QVC must be well aware of them? It annoys me so much I'm almost tempted to mail their CS and see what they say!

Smashbox CS you mean? Good idea, I think it's very irritating too the way AY spouts this sort of misleading nonsense! :49:

Smashbox CS you mean? Good idea, I think it's very irritating too the way AY spouts this sort of misleading nonsense! :49:

Well I meant QVC CS as they're the ones making the false claim and they're always so hot on saying how they have to be even more honest that 'regular' shops! It's simply not true so I don't know how they can get away with it!

Tx

I don't know about Jayne, but I'm wondering whether the Birmingham airport Smashbox might be 'airside', so technically not within the UK since you have to have passed through immigration/customs to get to it and so leaving the country to visit it? I know that's a technicality, but that would make it possible.

Offically Smashbox have no UK distributors. There are a number of counters in Northern Ireland which fall under the Irish Smashbox distributors and are really slow at getting products. I know from the House of Fraser and speaking to them their products come up from Dublin. There was talk of Smashbox going into Debenhams as Ashley the ex manager HoF told me. But Debenhams decided to go with Illimasque range instead.

Jayne gets her stock direct from Smashbox America, but she is offical and in the UK.

I am wondering do QVC UK get their Smashbox from QVC US who buy thousands of items and perhaps Smashbox don't want to step on their toes so to speak. But it would be interesting to see what Smashbox CS did have to say on the matter.
Writing to QVC UK does nothing as AY keeps repeating it everytime parrot fashion.

Well, I got a reply from QVC CS asking me to specify which shows the statement was made in so I replied and said it was basically every show AY presents for Smashbox. They said they needed to know as they would have to brief the show producers and update the presenters in question for future presentations.

Can't see it happening to be honest but at least they didn't deny it outright!

Tx

Well, I got a reply from QVC CS asking me to specify which shows the statement was made in so I replied and said it was basically every show AY presents for Smashbox. They said they needed to know as they would have to brief the show producers and update the presenters in question for future presentations.

Tx

which show exactly, well its not going to be a yankee candle show is it ay!

Tx

If they say something inaccurate on air then yes you can be sure they will listen. QVC have been pulled up a number of times and their broadcasting licence depends on good behaviour.

No idea myself about this one but if you know for sure then report it. It is quite serious for them to lay claim to be only official stockist as this could encourage people to buy from them with false information offered.

Careful though because often when companies say they are the only official stockist it is actually true even though the products are available through many other channels, ie ebay or through a retailer who uses grey imports to obtain stocks.

Jayne as I said gets her stock offically from Smashbox American headquaters. She even deals on a personal basis with the European and UK director for Smashbox. So no grey areas involved with her.

I really hope Ay and QVC do get a slapped wrist over this. When you email CS and mention Jayne and even HoF Belfast you are ignored.

I got this further reply earlier:

Dear Therese,

Thank you for contacting QVC UK.

I will pass on your email today to the relevant dept in London to ensure Alison doesn't mention this on air.

If we can provide any other assistance, please do not hesitate to contact QVC UK.

Thank you for e-Mailing QVC UK.

Regards,

So maybe they are going to take it seriously? It'll be interesting to see if she mentions it in the next Smashbox shows or tries to make some excuse for it? Either that or they'll start banging on about being the BIGGEST stockist of Smashbox. That's fair enough as it's probably true, but I was getting really sick of them constantly repeating what was blatantly not true.

grrrr..

Tx

I don't know about biggest either. Jayne has the most comprehensive range by far but perhaps in terms of units QVC would win. Apparently Alison bleated that the skyn iceland range is exclusive to QVC in the UK. Uhh ..........No. :64:

I don't know about biggest either. Jayne has the most comprehensive range by far but perhaps in terms of units QVC would win. Apparently Alison bleated that the skyn iceland range is exclusive to QVC in the UK. Uhh ..........No. :64:

I think she just spouts nonsense a lot of the time - I've noticed a few 'untrue' statements. One was when she said about a Philosophy gift set being exclusive to QVC when it had been on the John Lewis website for a good while. Another one was with Prescriptives - she said they were the first people in the UK to have a particular powder, not yet available on counters and yet I'd bought 3 in Glasgow about 4 months before. There have been many other instances as everyone knows.

If anyone says anything to her about this, they should also be saying look missus, you can't just say these things unless you know they're absolutely true and we've confirmed it - but then guests that work with these brands should also be saying that's not the case. Instead they just stand there like nodding dogs, agreeing with everything AY says. If they don't want to correct her on screen, then say something afterwards to stop her doing it in later shows. She should then explain and retract the statement.

I have started to believe that AY is totally out of touch with the real world her fashion sense and previous hairstyle indicate this, her life might be work and horses, and no other interaction with the big wide world

she reminds me in a way of the women, and every town has one, who decides when she is rich/brave enough, to open an 'exclusive boutique' only to stock fashions that she enjoyed 20 years ago.

Mary queen of shops highlights this, so my vote would go to having Mary Portas confront Ali Young.

My biggest bone with AY is her constant harping about the damage the sun can do (sure we all agree if done to excess), but she is clearly out of touch with new medical advice that we are depriving ourselves and our children of vitamin d by covering in sunblock and head to toe clothes. and we should be ensuring we get 20 mins of sun, when it shines.

I would not be in the least bit suprised to find out that suncream and fake tan chemicals are proven in 20 years time ti give us skin cancer

ALI, THE SUN IS GOOD FOR YOU, CHILL BABY

I have started to believe that AY is totally out of touch with the real world her fashion sense and previous hairstyle indicate this, her life might be work and horses, and no other interaction with the big wide world

she reminds me in a way of the women, and every town has one, who decides when she is rich/brave enough, to open an 'exclusive boutique' only to stock fashions that she enjoyed 20 years ago.

Mary queen of shops highlights this, so my vote would go to having Mary Portas confront Ali Young.

My biggest bone with AY is her constant harping about the damage the sun can do (sure we all agree if done to excess), but she is clearly out of touch with new medical advice that we are depriving ourselves and our children of vitamin d by covering in sunblock and head to toe clothes. and we should be ensuring we get 20 mins of sun, when it shines.

I would not be in the least bit suprised to find out that suncream and fake tan chemicals are proven in 20 years time ti give us skin cancer

ALI, THE SUN IS GOOD FOR YOU, CHILL BABY

Yep, great post and I agree with you. The sun isn't the evil harbinger of doom that AY paints it out to be, we need sunlight in certain safe amounts to help our skin as you say. Obviously it's important to put a decent sunblock on to prevent anything nasty occuring - but it shouldn't stop you from going out and enjoying it. The way she carries on you'd think standing out in the sun for more than a nanosecond condemns us to an instant death.

I also have wondered in the past about all the chemicals in sunscreen/fake tan too- the amount of products AY piles onto her skin could be doing more harm than good in the long run, and she still has eyebags!

Lets not also forget the effect the sun has on mood - arent we all much cheerier when the sun is shining?? Otherwise what is the SAD syndrome all about?

I really dont mind Ali Young, just wish she was a bit more factually correct as the OP raised and that she smiled every once in a while!!!

I love the sun - and although I know it is not good to have too much, I don't drink and don't smoke so I have to have one vice. If I want to sit in the sun surely that's up to me - i am a big girl now and do not need a lecture everytime AY is on the tv.

The way she carries on you'd think standing out in the sun for more than a nanosecond condemns us to an instant death.

Maybe shes a vampire?

Unfortunatly I've nursed a few folk with skin cancer, and I wouldn't want to wish that upon anyone, so I'm with Ali on this one and protecting yourself!

Unfortunatly I've nursed a few folk with skin cancer, and I wouldn't want to wish that upon anyone, so I'm with Ali on this one and protecting yourself!

I absolutely see your point but AY's sun paranoia seems more to do with avoiding wriinkles than skin cancer!
I certainly wouldn't sit out in the sun but never venturing outside at all when the sun is shining because of the risk of skin cancer would be like me telling the girls they couldn't ride out on the roads anymore because I know of people or horses who've been badly injured or killed in horrific road accidents. :(
(Oddly enough, as she has horses herself, I presume the latter much higher risk is one AY is willing to take though?)

I had a precancer growth removed from my skin and as I have psoriasis and keep it under control with sun in the summer and sunbed in the winter the consultant dermatolagist told me to continue as long as I did not cook myself and as I dont burn i have had no problems but I do get checked every year
lizz

Latest posts

Back