OK. How's it done ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Just exactly how do you get to design a whole range of jewellery like wot Andrea McLean has done ? Does she ACTUALLY sit and draw, like we used to do at school, or are there professional draughtspeople who have put in the time, effort and energy to do the whole college course thing, who do it for her.

AND how does she find the time anyway, (if she does), because with my limited knowledge, to sit and design takes hours to perfect one item, yet this lady has a column in a magazine telling us how to do up our homes, children to raise and appear on Loose Women (or has she left, I never watch so dont know) - plus all the photoshoots she appears in.

This equally applies to Tova, Ann Diamond, and all those other 'celebs' who have 'designed' their own ranges. Not forgetting TRIGGER AND SUZYANNA due shortly.

[thinking out loud now - S'pose the same could be said for Posh Beckham and her clothing range. and Myleen Klass (kidswear), Cant wait for the collections by Carole Vorderman and Lorraine Kelly ]

But WHY are these people so fortunate to be able to have a go at creating something. I would LOVE to be given that opportunity. (and yes I AM ****** jealous !)

Quite frankly, there's nothing very special about Andrea McLean's designs. It's very traditional & boring in my view. Just variants on what's been seen before

Ann Diamond's range on the other hand, was a bit different design wise, but everything in her range was similar - of the type, which did not appeal to me.

I'm not sure whether they sit down and doodle their designs, passing them on to people who will put the drawing through a process or whether they are just the face of the range.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Sorry, stopped laughing now.

QVC approach said z list celeb, "Hey, Andrea. QVC UK here would you like to front a diamonique range for us?" "Hmm, okay. How much will you pay me? Do I have to actually do anything, designing?". "Of course not, Andrea. We just show you some pieces and if you like them, we'll put your name to them." "Oh, great. Get in contact with my agent."

In most cases they're just a front for something designed by others. Kelly Hoppen admitted as much when she didn't seem to know much about the QVC range. Also much of the Amanda Lamb range of luggage was merely Travelon with her name on it.

Money for old rope - as we say in Yorkshire!

I "designed" my engagement ring. Note the inverted commas. The jeweller made suggestions and I said yes or no. It's an east west oval morganite. Originally I wanted it to be just the morganite set into rose gold. I did choose the stone. But honest to god they were all beautiful. I wanted quite an airy delicate setting initially but it's ended up being quite a solid setting because of the size and value of the stone ... who knew that mattered! And at the jeweller's insistence it is surrounded by wee diamonds. And when I first saw it I knew he was absolutely and utterly right.

Now I don't know about Andrea McLean but I know I've a lot to learn in jewellery design.

My point exactly Tinkerbelle. There's an awful lot of ummmmming and aaaaarhing over hours and days before a design is deemed perfect - yet along come these minor celebs who have miraculously conjured up 30 odd pieces ready for public consumption. They must have damned good Agents !

Anyway, why Andrea, why not pick those old 'has beens' Richard & Judy for haircare (?), bedtime reading or food/drinks hampers (?) at least they would be competition for Will & Charlie !!!!! he !he ! he !

Latest posts

Back