Oh Mr Mackie, where did it all go wrong ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
OPEN LETTER TO BOB MACKIE

First I have to admit, that as a ‘designer to the Stars’, I had never heard of you. Today however, I have just watched Funny Lady, starring Barbra Streisand, and up popped your name (albeit with someone else) on the costume credits !!!

Costumes you designed in the 20’s style were sensational – with beads, fringing, hanging pearls, sequins etc.

So, at what point in your life did it all start to go wrong ? Can the link-up with QVC be blamed? Would you seriously dress Ms Streisand in what is being offered in your name at QVC UK ? No, I thought not. Oh yes, the embellishments and embroidery are in abundance, it’s just the designs are a bit of a dog’s dinner.

Surely a designer of your undoubted talent, could pull together some vintage pieces with a modern twist, instead of the usual tunic tops, blouses and zip up offerings in either the geometrical prints or fussy florals that are offered for sale now.

Thank you.

When you look at Pink's costumes you can see how talented he is, he has dressed her since the first Funhouse tour. Then you look at the Bob Mackie stuff QVC sell, there's absolutely no comparison.

I remember Nolan Miller, who was the designer on Dynasty, having a speciality range in one of the fashion catalogues during the 80's (loooooong before internet shopping), and he did at least show his 'style' through an obviously much cheaper range, but it was telling that he had had an input (albeit padded shoulders).

But like Chrissie said, there is no comparison between the Bob Mackie that qvc foist onto us, and the Hollywood designer with a great flair or the 20's.

I remember Nolan Miller, who was the designer on Dynasty, having a speciality range in one of the fashion catalogues during the 80's (loooooong before internet shopping), and he did at least show his 'style' through an obviously much cheaper range, but it was telling that he had had an input (albeit padded shoulders).

But like Chrissie said, there is no comparison between the Bob Mackie that qvc foist onto us, and the Hollywood designer with a great flair or the 20's.

I can't remember which catalogue it was but I had a Nolan Miller dress & jacket. The dress was plain black strapless with a large bow at the bust. The jacket was candy pink and cut so that when you wore it the bow could be pulled through on top of the jacket so you could still see it. i think it is still in the wardrobe somewhere.

i also had a black, velour wraparound ballerina cardi.

It is possible Bob Mackie has to design to a style that QVC percieve their customers want.

Last edited:
I wonder if he was approached by QVC just to front the line that they produce and he just puts his name to it ...don`t know how these things work ..much like the make up lines that celebrities front.

His QVC stuff is very much what middle aged American women like to wear so we probably get the remainder of the 'buying power' to keep costs down. I can't imagine who buys it over here but it must sell otherwise it wouldn't still be available. What the hell is this?

image.jpg

Exactly my point B/mum ! these styles and designs are light years away from his Hollywood days. Well, if the middle aged of America want to cover their bums in this, then they are welcome to it ! but it doesn't exactly 'smack' of a designer range in the true sense of the word; but then again, sadly qvc is safe fashion.

I've got a couple of Bob Mackie items, they are well made and look fine on me. I've seen plenty of young girls wandering around London in floral knitwear pre heat wave and very nice they looked too.

I've got some of his fleeces and they are well made and very comfortable and warm, not Hollywood glamour but ok for Essex

His QVC stuff is very much what middle aged American women like to wear so we probably get the remainder of the 'buying power' to keep costs down. I can't imagine who buys it over here but it must sell otherwise it wouldn't still be available. What the hell is this?

View attachment 9242

Don't think so. My friends in the US wouldn't find any of QVC's clothing either US or UK design attractive at all. They have better taste than that.

Latest posts

Back