Oh dear.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Am I the only one who thinks that Joan Collins is looking less 'glamorous' and more 'caricature' these days?

Watching her this evening, she spoke as though she was bedding in a new top set of dentures - which drew her cheek bones in even more. Regardless of whether she's had work done or not, she certainly over does it with ALL the make-up, which wouldn't look out of place in a circus. Ok its a face permanently on display for the cameras and photographers, but I secretly hope that I don't look like that should I reach that age, or I would get pointed at in Waitrose for all the wrong reasons !!

Joan is very Diva, The other day I was comparing Sophia Loren to Joan, and I feel quite simply, Sophia gets it right.. just enough make up to accentuate her beauty, whereas Joan's make up is a huge mask, quite literally, and I can imagine if Joan and a circus clown both used a liz Earle muslin cloth to remove their make up, the cloths would look exactly the same! I think Joan would look so much better if she applied less black eyeliner, and maybe use a wig which wasn't so dark After all her complexion thinks shes grey now, (naturally I would guess quite white with salt & pepper) and adjusts accordingly, thats why dark block hair colour on older Caucasian ladies looks so wrong, I think
this hair has highlights which seems much better
joanswigwindnomatch.jpg

I think she looks good for 81, albeit with the assistance of a surgeon (?). But I also felt that she was looking more like an older lady and, throughout the ad for her shows, she seemed to be reading from an autocue, and her head was shaking a little. Respect, though, for coming over herself to do the shows. She does still lead a pretty active life, especially on a professional level.

She seems a bit more less diva..ish if the snickers advert is anything to go by lol......i remember Tony Curtis the actor ...(God Bless him ) ...said many years ago when he and Joan very young ...he would not put up with her diva ways and when they were called once to go in set of a film she did not rush her self and Tony was fuming at her saying ...don't be such f&@@!;g ...b"@.........lol made me laugh and i thought good for him ....but she does t seem too bad and was very funny on Benidorm...:mysmilie_17:

I guess she had a 'Kate' moment, where a gust of wind blew everything in the wrong direction, as I doubt she would expose her ears that much.

I've never been an advocate for lining under the eyes (even Clare Sutton succumbed to it a few years ago and she has looked much 'harder' ever since) - but a lot of older ladies do it e.g. Barbara Windsor, all it does is 'age' the face even more.

Agree though with earlier comment, - Joanie should take a few tips from Sophia Loren.

I think Sophia looks great for her age and gets the make up about right she doesn't seem to be wanting to mask th wrinkles but accept them. But my winner has to be Shirley Bassey , born in 1937 I think. Still looking gorgeous and still has a voice to shame some of today's popettes.

I was reading an article by Sandra Howard today (60's model, wife of politician Michael Howard, and she is bl.....dy stunning for her age ! - well into her 70's, and I wouldn't mind looking like HER if I reach that age. Elegance personified, no wigs, no hard make-up - makes old Joanie look like one of the Marx Brothers !!

The right lighting does wonders for her. She obviously looks after herself and has an "image" to keep. The studio lights yesterday did nothing for her. She had a point about the not needing more than 30spf - though JR argued with her (I can imagine the horror is sales of high spf went down at Q!). I was half expecting a b*tch fight - I didn't expect Joanie to give in so easy.

I daresay that she is so used to film set make-up and hair she sees it as normal. She was at her height during the Dynasty years and I suppose she likes to relive the "glamour" with the hair/make-up/animal prints. The older ladies around here don't carry leopard print and red lipstick off a fraction as well as Joanie does - though the little old lady down the road for me is 89 and has a leopard print walking stick and still wears full make-up with her blue rinse, and her shiny red mac is legendary! She told me last year she never lets anyone (not even her late husband) see her without a full face. I admire the energy of anyone who still makes the effort over 75.

I adore Joan - and I believe Sali Hughes (journalist) when she says Joan hasn't had plastic surgery.
Her make up is getting good reviews too.

I think Joan is great for her age but agree with others she should tone down a bit and lighten her hair/wig. Now Sophia Loren is absolutely stunning and must rate as one of the worlds most beautiful women she always looks so stylish and I have always been a fan and admire her greatly.

Joan Collins, like her or not, is something of an icon who, particularly for her age, looks pretty good. Granted she doesn't do the modern thing when it comes to makeup, but at least you know just who you are looking at. She is glamour personified, in a traditional Hollywood sense and always looks classy. I couldn't carry off her look, not would I have the patience, but I think she looks darned good on it.

I was reading an article by Sandra Howard today (60's model, wife of politician Michael Howard, and she is bl.....dy stunning for her age ! - well into her 70's, and I wouldn't mind looking like HER if I reach that age. Elegance personified, no wigs, no hard make-up - makes old Joanie look like one of the Marx Brothers !!
Her legs look too good to be true, may this be Photoshop?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...picks-best-60-LBDs-sale-M-S-party-season.html

the little old lady down the road for me is 89 and has a leopard print walking stick and still wears full make-up with her blue rinse, and her shiny red mac is legendary! She told me last year she never lets anyone (not even her late husband) see her without a full face. I admire the energy of anyone who still makes the effort over 75.

This made me smile, I can relate because a very elderly lady approached me in TKMaxx saying 'oh I just cannot find what I'm looking for" oh, may I ask what it is? (I was shopping there, not working there!) "a leopard print plastic coat" she replied ...are you on the internet? "no dear, technology stops at the auto-off boil kettle in my house, until last year I used a 50 yr old kettle that whistled"

I don't imagine she ever found the desired coat, God bless her. She had beautiful hair & make up though, really does make a difference, no matter what age, if done correctly.

My mother is 94, lives alone (widowed in 1979) and her makeup and hair are immaculate every single day. She always dresses beautifully too. I dread to think what kind of state I'll be in, if I live to that age.

My Nana, who lived into her eighties always wore a full face of makeup every day, weather or not she was venturing out or expecting company. She always set her hair in curlers (or in later years had me perm it for her - a brave decision!), always dressed immaculately and always wore a hat and gloves to go to town. She had great legs, although always wore a skirt to at least three inches past the knee. She was very firm about wearing the correct type of clothing for a specific occasion. She was, I suppose, a bit of a classy glamour-puss! I, sadly, am not. However, thanks to her, I am very careful not to wear anything for a formal occasion (wedding, christening, funeral, business meeting etc) that would either distract anyone, or cause anyone any offence and a lot of what I know about makeup etc came from accompanying her on shopping trips to Boots. And I can remember her watching "Dynasty" and noting how "well turned out" Joan Collins always was.

So anyone watch My Granny The Escourt on Channel :mysmilie_12:?????

Oh yes I watched that and must confess I had mixed feelings about the programme. I`m all for the older female dressing as she pleases, having physical relationships and wearing her makeup as she pleases but the women in that programme came across as desperate to be seen "up there" with the younger women, even losing their families in the process. To me the sign of a contented mature lady, at ease with herself, is someone who not only dresses as they please but who has an inner dignity. The women in that prog seemed to lack that. I realise its the oldest profession in the World but I found it quite distasteful in places.

Latest posts

Back