'oh bless her'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ah bless her said after the caller had gone does sound patronising imo and is synonymous with a virtual with a pat on the head.

Sometimes it's not what people say, but how they say it which determines on what people's reactions are in my opinion. I've been called worse! :giggle:

Ah bless her said after the caller had gone does sound patronising imo and is synonymous with a virtual with a pat on the head.

I must admit that for me the reaction "Oh bless" is generally provoked by a cute furry animal so it does sound a bit patronising. However that is just how it comes across to me and is not necessarily how Julia means it to be interpreted.

I'd add toddlers to the list of those provoking an "Oh bless!" response.

So that's furries, toddlers and old folk (ie anyone +20 years to the viewer).

Growing up in the Norf I never heard my name except when in trouble, any other time I'd be love, or any number of other nick-names. I've always responded favourably to boyfriends who use my name rather than love or darling probably because it gets my attention.

When I first met Mr Akimbo (a Manc) it was over a year before I found out whether he had a brother or sister as they were only referred to as "Our Kid"!

What's my point? I have no blummin idea!

Come back Enigma.

Jude xx

Where I'm from the term of affection to all and sundry is "my lover". Elsewhere it would be weird and even offensive but it isn't in Cornwall. It's the norm. I may be guilty of saying ah bless but I've refrained from calling random peeps my lover.

I`d much rather people say " ah bless " when I`ve gone rather than " phew thank god she sodded off " lol

As I said previously I doubt Julia means anything by the comment-but I do think when you are on TV and speaking about people you don't know,it does come accross as rather patronising and superior to say "oh bless her" to camera.

I don't think she really needs to say anything more once she has thanked the caller and said goodbye.

Not wishing to sound rude but this has to be one of the most boring threads I've seen on here & Jeez I've seen a few! lol

I might not have set the world alight with the thread Nikki. But I have had quite a few replies so obviously it merited some interest.

Tri, not being rude honestly, just that having read it I had to say what I felt, that's all. No offence meant.

Maybe JR is anticipating beatification from Pope Francis, and practising 'the blessing' -- after all she has a book, so she should be a saint? (BTW hows this awesome book doing in the Book top 100?)

Personally I cant stand the saying. Its like a habit that people continually say during a conversation, e.g. ............. ' do you know what I mean'; ..... 'its like' ; .... 'yeah but yeah but' ............ 'aw never mind'............ and I've lost count of the people who say 'aww bless her/him', and I always with respond with WHY ? WHY DO THEY NEED BLESSING.

Latest posts

Back