Odd Penny Pricing - is it still relevant?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
As we all know, go shopping almost anywhere and you'll be faced with a pricing policy where .99 and to a lesser degree .49 are used by retailers to give us the I pressing that we're paying less e.g Bargain! Just £29.99!

Only on QVC -and i assume other shopping channels(i dont watch any others) do we see the bizarre use of penny prices such as
£15.87
£49.63
£109.21

I assume when tv shopping was in its infancy this was done to give the impression that every last penny had been shaved off the price in order to deliver a bargain to the customer. As well know this is total shite, why do they still do it? From what I can see, in most cases the Qvc price plus postage is the retail price, maybe they're trying to put us off the scent?

In my day (lol) it was always 19/11 or 9/11
I'd hand over my crisp, brown 10 bob note (10/-) & be given 1d change. Seemed almost insulting.
At least with the other favourite - 17/6 - there was half a crown change (2/6) from a quid.
I've still got my thruppenny bits.
Betcher a Tanner this sound like a foreign language :giggle:

I used to love the shape and the look of thrupenny bits. As for odd pricing I once saw an item on qvc for £100-1p

I remember the old money very well, was a Saturday girl in the local Woolies when decimalisation came in.

I'd hand over my crisp, brown 10 bob note (10/-) & be given 1d change. Seemed almost insulting.
At least with the other favourite - 17/6 - there was half a crown change (2/6) from a quid.
It doesn't sound foreign to me minim (unfortunately) lol

There was a brief report this monring about discussions taking place as to whether the 1p coin should be discontinued. If it does get taken out of circulation what's the betting that the shopping channels will round the prices up, rather than down?

But it's annoying when QVC say things like "It's under £200" (not that I'd ever spend that amount in one go) and it's not such a bargain after all when it's priced at a stupid figure like £199.96.

If the shopkeeper didn't have half a crown you got a florin and a sixpence!

Glad you've still got your thruppenny bits!

I always thought they did it because pennies add up to pounds, so there is more profit on 10,000 items costing £10.23 as opposed to a nice round tenner. I used to think the different levels of and changes in VAT had something to do with it but that is just very very dull!

There was a brief report this monring about discussions taking place as to whether the 1p coin should be discontinued.

Well the Government will have a lot to answer for with our little mate here. He just loves to quote "See a penny, pick it up, all the day have good luck!" So he will have to stay in bed now in case of disaster.............

:mysmilie_512:

I think sometimes the odd pricing is to do with easy pay - for example, £100.00 wouldn't split evenly into three easy payments, whereas £100.02 would. So would £99.99, but maybe they think we're all too clued up about 99p psychology to fall for that now.

Perhaps it's to distinguish their pricing from that of 'the dreaded high street'.

Incidentally, I bought some avocados from the supermarket the other day and they were priced at £1.08 each - odd.

Surely the giving and receiving of physical cash is the key - when handling actual cash I think theory is that you are more cautious. On TV Shopping, it's all by credit and debit cards so you don't have to worry about whether you have the odd thrupneytuppeny bits rattling around your purse/wallet/bank cash bag.

Having said that, for me, TV Shopping does have that "Look at the price including P&P THEN decide if it is good value".

Latest posts

Back