Northern Nights?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kitten_with_claws

Registered Shopper
So, which is it, fluffy cloud heaven or bobbly bed hell? (Some of the reviews are pretty damning I have to say!)
Have been using 'temporary' cheapo bedding since my favourite set (Kenzo for Yves Delorme I think it was) finally gave up the ghost about a year ago! Just wondering if anyone actually uses & likes the Northern Nights stuff! (Not expecting it to be anywhere near the Kenzo in quality though obviously!)

Also, why does it only ever seem to come in full sets? I have several friends who have the same arrangement as me, a double bed but a kingsize quilt! I'd have to make do with a too big bottom sheet I s'pose! (Bit worried about all the shedding & bobbling reports though!)

Oh & if you're wondering why I don't just directly replace my old bedding, the Kenzo is unobtainable now & I don't have a spare 400 quid to spend even if it was, which puts Yves Delorme out as well for the minute!

It seems to depend on the batch because some people have enjoyed theirs but my flannel was continuously shedding and returned as faulty. There was a thread a short while ago?

Even though I've been watching NN shows for over 2 years, I've yet to see a duvet set that I like enough to buy.

I want something feminine but not chintz-y floral. Where are the large pink and white polka dots, big daisy-type flowers, fresh green fern leaf prints on white, pastel plaids, broderie anglaise, seersucker, gingham & lace, applique, ribbon or cord trimmed, etc etc.

While I'm on a roll, matching/toning cushions, bolster pillows, throws, bedroom accessories such as bedside lamps/shades, quilted coat hangers, storage and "hat" boxes pretty enough to be stacked and on show. Even matching items for the ensuite - rugs, shower curtain, soap dish, lotion pump dispenser etc etc.

I can't find this sort of thing locally and I'm not able to travel to Oxford St/Knightsbridge etc. I'm willing to pay for good quality good design.

Rant over!:23::23:

Linda

I have a heavyweight flannel set which is great and didn't pile/bobble, it is still on the bed an I will probably switch to high TC set this weekend
I have a NN 330 TC set which also good value and silky soft, but requires ironing. I like NN because they have deep fitted sets.
I also have an Yves Delorme set, but it is sz king, I have a SK duvet now and sadly the cover doesn't fit anylonger
I got a 600 TC sheridan set in the sales from here http://www.dawsonsdepartmentstore.co.uk/dorma.asp. The even have 1000TC duvet for only £77.
Quality is great, much heavier than NN and fast shipping too.

I absolutely love NN floral I haven't had too many problems with mine - I had a set about a year ago acorns and leaves I think it was which shed horribly and I did send that one back but, I have found the sets which are priced around the £50.00+ mark seem to be of better quality than the cheaper sets.

The high thread count cotton sets are lovely, but the flannel, in my experience, although very cosy, has been 'bobbly bed hell'.
I have noticed it bobbles more on husband's side of bed, so I imagine the weight and restlessness of the sleeper has something to do with it - all that friction, you know ;)

The high thread count cotton sets are lovely, but the flannel, in my experience, although very cosy, has been 'bobbly bed hell'.
I have noticed it bobbles more on husband's side of bed, so I imagine the weight and restlessness of the sleeper has something to do with it - all that friction, you know ;)

the friction must happen at the foot of our bed :54:

I have a heavyweight flannel set which is great and didn't pile/bobble,

See that's the funny thing with NN because the heavyweight set was the worst shedding culprit which I returned! Actually had another just pillowcase and fitted sheet set in the normal weight which I kept and do sometimes use because it's so cosy in winter but it still sheds after all this time and is sadly bobbled.

I have loads of NN Flannel sets - will not use anything else in the winter - it is sooo cosy. I do find that they shed bits for the first couple of uses but after that they are fine, some more than others too. I now buy them in the outlets as you can get a complete duvet set for under £15! Especially if you are not too fusy on the colour. I put a throw/comforter type thingy over the top so it doesn't make any difference to me. I do think that the actual colours of them are not good generally though.

The 300 TC - I have a couple of bottom sheets and pillowcases which I use in the summer and they are good as the bottom sheet is deep enough to cover the featherbed and deep mattress - other makes are not deep enough. Again I don't like the fact that the duvet covers are just plain.

I want something feminine but not chintz-y floral. Where are the large pink and white polka dots, big daisy-type flowers, fresh green fern leaf prints on white, pastel plaids, broderie anglaise, seersucker, gingham & lace, applique, ribbon or cord trimmed, etc etc.

Now you would love Yves Delorme, Olivier Desforges bedding I reckon, certainly if you love high thread count Egyptian cotton! (Some lovely sets appear on eBay from time to time for not unreasonable prices!)
Otherwise I'd say, you've described Next bedding pretty well, could be worth a look if you like those patterns!

Thanks all, reading through, it does seem to be a case of 'pot luck' a lot of the time then as to quality which is obviously very varying! I guess I'd have to be prepared to send quite a few sets back if not up to scratch, just galling 'cos of the p&p costs involved both ways!

i love my good quality bedding and have tried some nn stuff but the quality control and quality consistency are terrible.all the high street shops would have gone under decades ago if their products varied this much.
also to be honest if you like yves delorme you aint gonna like any nn. no matter what thread counts nn uses the quality is not the same.
also i find the colours and prints really old fashined and dowdy.
also the duvets do not have enough down in them thats why theydont tell you the tog and the pillows are 3 inches too short for even thier own pillow cases.
soory too much hype and no sustance.

to be honest if you like yves delorme you aint gonna like any nn. no matter what thread counts nn uses the quality is not the same.
also the duvets do not have enough down in them thats why theydont tell you the tog

Thank you kindly for the virtual 'wake-up stoopid' slap round the chops! :3:
I do like Yves Delorme & my duvet doesn't have a tog rating at all, 'cos it's cashmere so.....!
I've been looking at this stuff for ages, trying to convince myself it will be super-duper OK but I guess it's telling that I haven't actually ordered any of it!
You have answered one of my 'QVC queries' I think, so I guess I better stop whining & start saving.....hard!

I have bought a couple of NN pieces - found the set to be lovely - high thread count, washes and irons well and tends not to be too heavy, even though it is a high thread count. I've also tried some of the flat sheets and those have been quite bobbly...I find prices range from ok to too high to be competitive...so now we are switching to bamboo sheets (just placed first order and getting a bit excited as it should be here any day now!)

Lol I know they struggle to find enough to say beyond thread count but Simon just talking about an embroidered set actually said exictedly "and washable" - so last time you bought a dry clean only duvet set?

:D

We've got a set of the high thread count NN, they wash & iron great, but I don't find them any better than the sets we've bought from the high street two named store, with the green signs (not sure if I was allowed to mention its name??)

Latest posts

Back