northern nights anather luxury cotton YAWN!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I say again :22: I refuse to buy a single set for the same price as someone pays for a King Size :12: I love all my NN sheet sets , especially in this colder weather, but they were all bought when single sets were cheaper than other sizes!! Have never had a problem with pilling or elastic stretching, I put my bottom sheet directly over the feather matress, easier to fluff up each day :1: and have had to put the sheets over the ordinary matress in summer to stretch it on purpose, as it can tend to shorten my feather one with the elastic being so strong! :52:

daydreamer

I think I will be giving NN's a miss for a while, they are getting very loud and too expensive. The last bedding I bought was a dorma set of sheets and they have washed very well, nice plain colours and quite a bit cheaper than NN.

I only use flat sheets not fitted, I use a bottom sheet and a top sheet under my duvet so I don't need to change the cover each week. I have two sets of Dorma sheets and have had them for over 10 years and they are still going strong. As other people on her have said, how much bedding do you need?

not all high thread cotton is created equal. buy sheridan,dorma,yves delorme, marks and spencer and you will see and feel the difference. worlds apart. also they dont crease as much if at all.
bought my daughter the kyle sequin set 200 thread count all cotton. i never have to iron it. just dry it over the bannister stairs. nn crushes so much as its so flimsy and limp. you could say it gets softer but it looks terrible on the bed.
also dont be fooled by high thread counts lasting longer. the higher the thread count the more delicate the fabric.it is more prone to tearing.

only ever bought one NN set and that was a "try me" flannel duvet set with fitted sheet. Was tempted by the duck egg blue colour whch matched the colour we'd just painted our bedroom but was very disappointed with how the bedding looked on the bed. The pillow caseswere way too big for my pillows and the duvet cover just seemed to hang like a damp rag. Gave them to a charity shop but do like the fitted sheet in cold weather as it's lovely and cosy.

I tried a flannel set and the pilling was just ridiculous. All over the bedroom floor. Would have accepted it first couple washes maybe but it didn't end. Returned....

On top of this experience I just find the NN prices hard to justify when there is so much bedding out there in the market. And no I do not need lots of sets so am not even in the market very often.

Last edited:
I only use flat sheets not fitted, I use a bottom sheet and a top sheet under my duvet so I don't need to change the cover each week. I have two sets of Dorma sheets and have had them for over 10 years and they are still going strong. As other people on her have said, how much bedding do you need?

I have got a few sets of the NN sheet sets, but I don't like the fitted sheets much, as I find they are a pain in the ass to iron, now I am using the bottom fitted sheet over the mattress cover and a Dorma flat sheet over the top of that. I do the same as you ... two flat sheets so I don't have to wash the duvet cover so often. NN seem to assume that everyone likes the fitted sheets... I don't.

Last edited:
I tried a flannel set and the pilling was just ridiculous. All over the bedroom floor. Would have accepted it first couple washes maybe but it didn't end. Returned....

On top of this experience I just find the NN prices hard to justify when there is so much bedding out there in the market. And no I do not need lots of sets so am not even in the market very often.

Iwas only half listening to the NN hour last night when T-caller mentioned to Suzy that some of her flannel sheets had pilled. Suzy's response was that it wasn't pilling it was DOWN. HUH? on cotton ?

I have several sets of flannel - most I have bought on ebay or now I get them from the outlet shop. Some have pilled and some not. I find that the ones that have pilled have done for a couple of weeks/washes and then they are fine. I got a set last week in Shrewsbury for £12.99 - king sized, not the £50 ish they want on the tv.

I personally love the flannel sets in the winter and wouldnt use anything else. I have bought flannel in Dunelm but it is not much cheaper and is nowhere near as good. Unless you know where I can get good quality flannel duvet sets.

The cotton stuff is no better (and probably worse) than the likes of Dorma etc.

I have looked on M and S site today, and there Supima cotton is 180 thread count, and the quilt cover in super king is £59 on its own. so i am now wic=shing I I had ordered.

if you could afford to buy the nn pima cotton set and compare it to m&s i would bet any money the m&s set is far better. qvc like to pretend that you are getting a good deal but if the quality is worse then its not the same . nn is cheper cos its cheaper quality.

the NN supima egyptian cotton 400 TC is the best ive had, followed by the timeless stripe. some of their other high TC cotton is on the flimsy side, they do look great if you iron them but not substantial enough. anything with a satin or dobby weave seems to be ok.

Latest posts

Back