No no....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I use a razor, but bought the Emjoi epilator last year solely for use on my upper lip. It wasn't as painful as I thought it might be once I got the hang of it - keeping skin as tight as possible. I've found it very successful and far better than creams, just need tweezers for occasional strays.

I use a Panasonic epilator because I'm a sadist. You do get used to the pain and if used regularly there is less hair so less pain.

I have inherited a hairy upper lip from my paternal grandmother so I may invest in the emjoi.

I don't have much of a problem with upper lip, just found creams pretty useless.

I only need to use the Emjoi about once a month - not sure if it's up to coping with gorillas though lol!

I keep reading write-ups on various sites about the 'no no' and have not read any that state that it works.

I think I may give the Emjoi a try, must be better than plucking one at a time - 'ouch' :mysmilie_516:

Last edited:
I keep reading write-ups on various sites about the 'no no' and have not read any that state that it works.

I think I may give the Emjoi a try, must be better than twizzers - 'ouch' :mysmilie_516:

Just a word of caution if you have even slightly sensitive skim think twice. It gave me a nasty rash.

No, it's not just you Capirossi! I've always thought the exact same thing. Complete waste of time and money using anything other than disposable safety razors. And don't get me started about waxing your legs: horrific pain inflicted on the skin of your legs to get the hair off - gimme a break!!! I instinctively feel you are just risking bad stuff happening to your skin with these methods. At least a safety razor minimises damaging your skin (taking your time and soaping up well being essential, of course!).

have always shaved my legs and always will, quick, cheap and effective. I use disposable razors and soften the hairs with conditioner, works a treat and I am all done and dusted in about 5 minutes.

No No! It's not just you (see what I'd did there??)
I much prefer a good old fashioned razor blade. In fact the cheaper the better I find - I bought some yesterday actually - 80p for ten, that'll last me at least three months. Bit of a difference between 80p and 160 odd quid.
And while we're on the subject why does that woman use it on her arms - who shaves or waxes their arms unless they're Bradley ****** Wiggins.......?

I imagine someone with a lot of visible hair on their arms could feel very self conscious about it. In fact isn't that how Nads wax got created, because its creators daughters arms were very dark haired.

Last edited:
NADS! Can't remember if it was Q or IW that sold it - strange green gunk that smelt of kiwi fruit, applied like wax, supplied with a lovely balm to use afterwards and it worked like a dream on my face. I used it regularly for about 18 months and eventually the hair didn't grow back. Didn't work on legs though.....
I used them about 7-8 years ago, a colleague's daughter used to send it to us Australia.......it is the one where you microwave it a few secs and smears it on your legs then pull the hair off with a piece of cotton. I found it quite therapeutic :giggle:

I use a razor, but bought the Emjoi epilator last year solely for use on my upper lip. It wasn't as painful as I thought it might be once I got the hang of it - keeping skin as tight as possible. I've found it very successful and far better than creams, just need tweezers for occasional strays.

this is interesting. I've got an Emjoi but never thought about using it on my top lip. Does it give good finish, no stubbly re-growth ? Might give it a go.

I never understand the idea of waxing - having to let your 'pits get stubbly so you can make them hair-free ?

Creams such as Veet-o or Nair used to stink out the bathroom, perhaps they smell a bit better nowadays ?

It's a plastic razor in the shower for my underarms, and I admit to dry-shaving my legs with same plastic razor while I'm sitting on the loo & listening to Radio 5 Live.

Capirossi has started a great thread.

The mission to be stubble-free is virtually an impossible one, yet, a lot of companies will tell you this is not the case. Its a multi million dollar industry, which relies on the 'blame the client' technique. 'what works on me might not work for you, but its your body' philosophy

The only sure-fire way to kill the follicle is by irreversible damage to it. This could happen in different forms - auto-immune disorder (such as Alopecia Areata) , 2nd or 3rd degree burns, deep injury etc etc,...

These promising devices -- you name it - No-No, IPL etc..
DO reduce the hair growth in stages, but it does grow back eventually. NOT 100%, but the client will never be 100% fuzz free either.

I would say the highest percentage of success regarding any sort of fuzz free permanence, belongs to a treatment called Electrolysis.
(An electric current is applied with a very fine needle-shaped electrode, or metal probe into each hair follicle to destroy the root, via galvanic, Thermolysis or blend) - but only suitable to target very small problematic areas

Second place (more suited for larger areas) would be a treatment known as Diode, which kills active follicle, but may have many side effects inc. Erythema, hypopigmentation, Erythema Ab Igne, or Livedo Reticularis

To sum up -
Keep your razor/Epilator/depilatory wax handy! ......

I've got an emjoi thingy that I use on my chin and the bit between my eyebrows (whatever that may be called....) but I can't stand to use it on my top lip, it's ****** excruciating. Everywhere else gets the economy razor treatment.
God, I sound like I'm as hairy as a gorilla... I'm not, honest. :blush:

this is interesting. I've got an Emjoi but never thought about using it on my top lip. Does it give good finish, no stubbly re-growth ? Might give it a go.

I find it pretty good and much better than cream or home wax kits. It's the cheaper end of the market but it copes well with my fine fair hair. I still need to use the tweezers for the odd couple. One or two come back a bit stubbly but they were a problem anyway. I prefer to use it after a bath while I'm still warm. It stung a bit the first couple of times but I was luck enough not to get a rash or anything.

It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, guess that will vary from person to person. Stretch the area as tight as you can and use your tongue to push against. I find every 3/4 weeks about right, needs some growth to work on.

Good luck, hope you have a better experience than amn!!

I have the Phillips Lumea - which is similar to the No No and it is really good. Yes it takes about 1/2 hour to do but as you only have to do it once a month in the first few months it is less than the 5mins a day shaving in total. Now I have been using it for over a year I have virtually no hair under my arms and very little on my legs so now only do them when I am going on holiday etc just to get rid of the few that are there. In between there is not enough to worry about.

I think this system is fantastic - hardly ever having to worry about hair.

Latest posts

Back