New coated pink diamond info!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks Fluff. Yes that is a recent addition to the enhancements info, it certainly wasn't there when I bought my MR in 2006. Time to take this further.

Sue - I haven't got time tonight as I've only just got in, but check the Gems book we got around that time. See what it says about enhancements in there because the website would have replicated it. I do know that the bit about glass filling has been there for at least 2 years which is why I asked the question when I bought mine.

Oh dear it just gets worse doesn't it? Sorry to hear that so many of you have been messed around here.

Just to complicate things a bit more - but have you all noticed the quote 'due to the design this ring cannot be resized' Tell me then, especially on the ring that Sacha just posted, why can't that ring be resized?

I'd bet that it's nothing to do with the design of the ring - more to do with the treatment of the diamonds. Meesh, would you have any information on what happens if coated diamonds are exposed to heat during ring resizing?

Furious? Yes I ****** am. These are all coated and I've got them sitting in my jewellery box:

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UDV4308&category=clearance&colourScheme=9 Oops - you've got this also?

http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UAW6781&category=clearance&colourScheme=9 Oops - again me and you?

I haven't got this but it's similar to the first one I posted and is also coated:
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UVT3225&category=clearance&colourScheme=9

UDV4308 - I sent it back in the end because I wanted 2 to make a pair of earrings and they wouldn't sell another to me at the same price. I wasn't impressed at the time, now I'm glad!

I have the second, but it only arrived last week. I was waiting for the price to come down. It went back this afternoon.

I do have this one though that I'm waiting to hear about.
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UBI3101

I'm also waiting to hear on my 2ct Tanzanian ruby. This is the one that has me really worried.

I'm done with Gems. How can you trust them after this!

Ok, Sue, I've just grabbed a few books and this is what they say but I don't know what years they're from????? Can anybody help?

I think this was from 2006??? Pale pink cover with Amethyst bracelet on front : Guide to Gems and Jewellery Revised & Expanded Edition says ....

p190 - How are some popular gemstones treated? Below are the treatments used for some popular gemstones ..... "Ruby & Sapphire - Heated occasionally with additives. Usually applied this treatment produces, intensifies or lightens colour and/or improves colour uniformity and/or appearance. Examples of the additives used include Beryllium (a light element) to improve colour, Borax or Lead (i.e. glass) to improve appearance.

Then there were 2 books both written by Gavin Linsell, both with red covers. One with a Ruby(?) on the front and the other with a Tanzanite(?) pear cut ring. Both books have the same info on the same page. Bits in bold have been added to the above:

p196/197 - Ruby & Sapphire - Heated and/or the healing of fissures and/or glass filled open fractures and cavities and/or lead glass filled open fractures and cavities and/or dyed and/or bulk diffusion of certain elements during the heating process and/or colourless oil or resin in fissures. Usually applied, these treatments, produces, intensifies or lightens colour and/or improves colours uniformity and/or appearance. Examples of the additives used include Beryllium (i.e. light element) to permanently improve colour and Borax or Lead (i.e. glass) to permanently improve appearances. Normal care. Fillers in voids/cavaities, fissures and/or open fractures can scratch more easily than the host gem or be more vulnerable to damage from heat or some chemicals.

Lastly in the book by Richard W. Hughes which was probably 2008 there is only a generic section on treatments (very basic and doesn't list each gem). However there is a section on Rubies. In it, you have to REALLY understand treatments because it says this ...........

p174 - 3rd paragraph - ......."This [referring to production] tapered off after 1993 but since the advent of high temperature treatment Mong Hsu has become an increasingly important source of Burmese ruby. You can learn more about gemstone treatments in the treatments section of this guide

The problem with that is it is generic and unless you understand treatments (and why would Joe Bloggs?) there is no reason to apply any of the treatments to the section on Rubies.

Hope this helps hun.

Oh dear it just gets worse doesn't it? Sorry to hear that so many of you have been messed around here.

Just to complicate things a bit more - but have you all noticed the quote 'due to the design this ring cannot be resized' Tell me then, especially on the ring that Sacha just posted, why can't that ring be resized?

I'd bet that it's nothing to do with the design of the ring - more to do with the treatment of the diamonds. Meesh, would you have any information on what happens if coated diamonds are exposed to heat during ring resizing?

Embarrasingly, the anorak in me does know! The GIA carried out a study on a number of different coloured coated diamonds. They concluded that some colours were slightly more stable than others and that they could withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees. However, they noted that if a jeweller was to re-set a coated diamond or needed to apply heat to a prong, it would in some cases remove the coating altogether.

Embarrasingly, the anorak in me does know! The GIA carried out a study on a number of different coloured coated diamonds. They concluded that some colours were slightly more stable than others and that they could withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees. However, they noted that if a jeweller was to re-set a coated diamond or needed to apply heat to a prong, it would in some cases remove the coating altogether.

I thought you might know, thank you! So there would be an element of risk in resizing a coated diamond ring, especially if the stone needed to be removed as part of the process.

It must be getting increasingly difficult to sell those rings then - prospective buyers need to be prepared to pay for coated diamonds AND have size N fingers. I don't know anyone who fits that description!

Ok, Sue, I've just grabbed a few books and this is what they say but I don't know what years they're from????? Can anybody help?

I think this was from 2006??? Pale pink cover with Amethyst bracelet on front : Guide to Gems and Jewellery Revised & Expanded Edition says ....

p190 - How are some popular gemstones treated? Below are the treatments used for some popular gemstones ..... "Ruby & Sapphire - Heated occasionally with additives. Usually applied this treatment produces, intensifies or lightens colour and/or improves colour uniformity and/or appearance. Examples of the additives used include Beryllium (a light element) to improve colour, Borax or Lead (i.e. glass) to improve appearance.
Hi Meesh thanks for all that info hon. They have said in their letter that when I purchased my MR in May 2006 the info was available on their website.....the bit I've highlighted in red is what they have actually quoted in their letter to me but my point is that it says "usually" which is till too generic for my liking and I want to know if MY MR has been filled and this is what they are not answering atm. The usual bullsh*t "as soon as our team in Thailand have located the relevant details from their archives" is their last sentence. Once I have it in writing that my MR is definately filled I can take further action if they refuse to have it back and give me a full refund.

Last edited:
I agree Sue. Generic treatment is NOT acceptable. If it were, why are they bothering to actually put the words "coated" now on specific items on the web??????? If they believe that generic wording is acceptable, why bother to do that? Just in case they read this and realise that it undermines their selling tactics, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TAKE SCREEN DUMPS OF THE WORDING BEING USED NOW ON THE ADVERTS.

Sue this is for Trading Standards as ASA have confirmed to me that because these rings were not part of an actual advert that I could point them to they won't be taking it further.

Yes I thought it would be TS Meesh as the ASA are only interested in the advertising process and not the end result (of buying), even if it has been misleading.

I can't tell you how furious I am about this.

Like others, I'm done with GemsTV. I guess their saving grace is that they are now admitting things BUT it's too little, too late. I have emails and phone calls stating one thing and have just been told something else so I'm seriously unhappy. SERIOUSLY unhappy.

So now I've got coated diamonds and glass filled rubies in my collection. Not for long.

UDV4308 - I sent it back in the end because I wanted 2 to make a pair of earrings and they wouldn't sell another to me at the same price. I wasn't impressed at the time, now I'm glad!

I have the second, but it only arrived last week. I was waiting for the price to come down. It went back this afternoon.

I do have this one though that I'm waiting to hear about.
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UBI3101

I'm also waiting to hear on my 2ct Tanzanian ruby. This is the one that has me really worried.

I'm done with Gems. How can you trust them after this!
I've been looking at some of the customer reviews for this piece and interestingly the 2nd reviewer
had this ring valued at £1,000!

I do hope the Tanzanian ruby is unaffected Ooopsie, I always thought these pieces to be completely natural, hence their price tag.

The twist on the shank may mean that it sits differently if re-sized. Also the shank looks like it actually goes through the back of the bezel setting (might be wrong there) so this might affect the integrity of the bezel setting itself. Unlikely but you never know.

In all honesty, their info on resizing has been wholly inaccurate for years. They've always said you could re-size pave rings when you can't etc etc. At least it's more honest now.

As for the Tanzanian Rubies (and Ooops knows my thoughts on this - and I have one so stand to lose on this as well) I'm convinced they're beryllium diffused because the clarity and colour suggests so. However, I also have an email stating that these were natural and just heated so it'll be interesting to see what these turn out to be also!

Now i'm confused i would have thought this one could be re-size
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UIY6518&category=preweb&colourScheme=9 but they say not!
But i would have thought they would say this one couldn't
http://www.gemstv.co.uk/shop-detail.jsp?product=UEF1843&category=preweb&colourScheme=9 but they are saying M-O?

This makes absolutely no sense. The first link should be resized easily!!!!! Unless the shank is hollow????????

The second one, I wouldn't dare to have resized because of the pave shoulders. These rings are sometimes cast (with diamonds set into them and so not set in later) and jewellers won't touch these for resizing because the prongs are soooooo tiny (and sometimes shared between gems) that it causes all sorts of integrity issues. Even if this isn't a cast ring then it's still pave and resizing difficult!

I seriously seriously don't understand this.

Then there were 2 books both written by Gavin Linsell, both with red covers. One with a Ruby(?) on the front and the other with a Tanzanite(?) pear cut ring. Both books have the same info on the same page. Bits in bold have been added to the above:

p196/197 - Ruby & Sapphire - Heated and/or the healing of fissures and/or glass filled open fractures and cavities and/or lead glass filled open fractures and cavities and/or dyed and/or bulk diffusion of certain elements during the heating process and/or colourless oil or resin in fissures. Usually applied, these treatments, produces, intensifies or lightens colour and/or improves colours uniformity and/or appearance. Examples of the additives used include Beryllium (i.e. light element) to permanently improve colour and Borax or Lead (i.e. glass) to permanently improve appearances. Normal care. Fillers in voids/cavaities, fissures and/or open fractures can scratch more easily than the host gem or be more vulnerable to damage from heat or some chemicals.

Lastly in the book by Richard W. Hughes which was probably 2008 there is only a generic section on treatments (very basic and doesn't list each gem). However there is a section on Rubies. In it, you have to REALLY understand treatments because it says this ...........

p174 - 3rd paragraph - ......."This [referring to production] tapered off after 1993 but since the advent of high temperature treatment Mong Hsu has become an increasingly important source of Burmese ruby. You can learn more about gemstone treatments in the treatments section of this guide

The problem with that is it is generic and unless you understand treatments (and why would Joe Bloggs?) there is no reason to apply any of the treatments to the section on Rubies.

Hope this helps hun.

the first book is 2006, I first bought in early 2007 and received this book with my first order. The new edition for 2007 had not come out yet. The second is 2007 and covered part of 2008 until the edition for that year appeared.

Latest posts

Back