New Beauty Items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'll be interested to see whether QVC process the orders where the item and p&p was free. Legally they don't have to.

Whoever is responsible for having put items on the website with no price or P&P charge will be in a spot of bother I imagine as people "taking advantage" of this glitch could cost them dearly.

I believe that an advertised price is the retailer's invitation for you to offer to buy at this price but they do not need to accept your offer. However, if they have accepted the order and have sent a receipt ( ie confirmation email) then you have a contract. The grey area is where the retailer must prove that the price was so ridiculous that you would obviously have known and you were therefore taking advantage of a genuine mistake. (Clearly the case here.) If things have gone a stage further and you actually have the goods and the transaction has been completed, I don't believe they can ask you to pay more at a later date.

Last edited:
Whoever is responsible for having put items on the website with no price or P&P charge will be in a spot of bother I imagine as people "taking advantage" of this glitch could cost them dearly.

I believe that an advertised price is the retailer's invitation for you to offer to buy at this price but they do not need to accept your offer. However, if they have accepted the order and have sent a receipt ( ie confirmation email) then you have a contract. The grey area is where the retailer must prove that the price was so ridiculous that you would obviously have known and you were therefore taking advantage of a genuine mistake. (Clearly the case here.) If things have gone a stage further and you actually have the goods and the transaction has been completed, I don't believe they can ask you to pay more at a later date.

I can think of at least three ways they can refuse to send you the items:

1. law of mistake - as you say, there was clearly a mutual mistake as to the price as the customer must have realised the mistake too.
2. basic contract law - you need consideration for a contract to be binding and if the customer has paid no money there is no consideration so contract invalid.
3. i don't think the items were up on the main shopping website yet (we just had a sneak preview of them) so ther was no valid invitation for the customer to buy them.

I can think of at least three ways they can refuse to send you the items:

1. law of mistake - as you say, there was clearly a mutual mistake as to the price as the customer must have realised the mistake too.
2. basic contract law - you need consideration for a contract to be binding and if the customer has paid no money there is no consideration so contract invalid.
3. i don't think the items were up on the main shopping website yet (we just had a sneak preview of them) so ther was no valid invitation for the customer to buy them.

They were on the website so no reason for people not to buy.

They were on the website so no reason for people not to buy.

I'm not convinced. You couldn't access them via the main website as they hadn't properly been put up yet. It's sort of the same as if you were in a shop and the goods weren't on the shop floor but you found them in the store room. Also, you couldn't buy them as to buy something you need to hand over money.

I'm not convinced. You couldn't access them via the main website as they hadn't properly been put up yet. It's sort of the same as if you were in a shop and the goods weren't on the shop floor but you found them in the store room. Also, you couldn't buy them as to buy something you need to hand over money.

But they were on the site, that is where I got details from, not like being in a store room, so think we will have to agree to disagree on this.

QVC, if they discover the error prior to sending the goods, could well refuse to send them but it is a different scenario if they have already accepted the order and have confirmed it as exchanges of letters can also constitute a legally binding contract even without monies having changed hands. If the items in question have been loaded on the website in such a way that someone can order, have their order confirmed by email and have the goods delivered to them, I still think that it would be very difficult for them to argue the case for asking the customer to pay more at a later date. This is the point I was making earlier. I agree that they are under no obligation to sell you such items if they discover their error prior to completing the sale process.

I was having a look and have found the following which is more or less what I said in my earlier post.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-pricing-disputes/your-rights/

Well, I ordered the Honora necklace that was on the website at zero cost, zero p&p. And it's apparently on its way to me. I ordered from sheer curiosity...once when a Samsung netbook was on Amazon for £5, I tried to order it, but was told pretty quickly that it was a blunder, couldn't be ordered, etc., so I expected the same to happen here. I'll keep an eye on the credit card statement, I think.

My Philip Kingsley order arrived today and the invoice states £0.00.

Wow that's quick, when did you order?

Zero is what you are being charged then!

Surely they then now can't take a payment, can they?

:flower:

Looks like most of the Philip Kingsley is coming up as free! The Elemis is now showing as £97.50 glad I ordered mine!

Just wondering if your Elemis is showing dispatched,as no reason not as it looks like they dispatched the Philip Kingsley.

I suspect the only thing alerting QVC to these freebies is their mention in this thread! Good luck to the elemis buyers, I hope your arrives v soon!

Jude xx

No it says "customer cancelled" no surprise really, well done on getting yours though

That's a big shame, didn't realize you'd cancelled - QVC :down:

I've not got anything but someone's already their PK :bow:

:sun:

Latest posts

Back