My scarf-lace shame!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
As usual I was on the mission of streamlining the junk in my home, after my flatpack nightmare mentioned in my recent thread I emptied the drawers of my old plastic chest that was doubling up as a bedside table so I could better utilise it. I managed to clear it down to next to nothing and then seeing the big basket of scarves in the corner I thought I'll transfer the scarves into the chest and get rid of the basket. I tipped the basket on the floor and I counted about 40 scarves, 32 of which were Moira Clutton scarflaces. I have one, (incidentally the first one I ever bought which was a leopard print one that I picked up in a charity shop for about £1.50) that I wear regularly and a quirky white one with a red chilli print and they're hung up with my clothes on the rail. I remember having a plum coloured one with cream polka dots that I loved, but I lost it - so much for the magnetic clasps eh?! As I picked through these scarves I'm thinking "what in the Lord's name was I thinking when I bought these?!" Most of them had hideous frumpy patterns, some had sequins, but most were granny florals in the most horrendous of colours. There was not a single one that I wanted to keep, so I'm giving them all a good airing and off to the charity shop they're going along with the storage basket! In my memory, they weren't cheap and it was always more economical to buy a set of three instead of plumping for the one I liked the most (well that's what I told myself) I think they would retail at about £19.99 each which is frankly ridiculous but a pack of three would cost £39.99 and at the time I saw that as a saving of £20 not the ridiculous waste of money I can see it was today!
A stark reminder of how when you're in the grips of a shopping addiction, you'll buy anything and you don't even necessarily have to like it! How I remember manic Moira showing us all the different ways to wear these terrible things, especially the "Hollywood headscarf with sunglasses perched on top look".
I have just done the math as they say and have worked out that to my shame and horror I have spent around £440 on scarflaces!😲😲😲

I just don't know how I could've been so crazy. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if you could pick 3 scarflaces of your choice to get the saving, but the packs were already chosen for you, so if I saw two scarves I liked and they were in different sets I'd buy both sets in order to get the ones I wanted - absolute madness! To be fair I did wear them quite a lot back in the day, but I can definitely say that the majority of my collection never got worn and like I said, I managed to lose my favourite one! No wonder I got myself into so much debt as well.

They weren't my cup of tea, I remember Moira on Bid TV a lot, she was a lovely bubbly lady. I love scarves but these didn't really appeal to me. I do remember they weren't particularly cheap. I can (and sometimes do) pay a lot for a scarf but also a fiver from a market stall.

So glad you're giving them a new home via the charity shop. I'm sure they will be glad to receive them.

I just don't know how I could've been so crazy. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if you could pick 3 scarflaces of your choice to get the saving, but the packs were already chosen for you, so if I saw two scarves I liked and they were in different sets I'd buy both sets in order to get the ones I wanted - absolute madness! To be fair I did wear them quite a lot back in the day, but I can definitely say that the majority of my collection never got worn and like I said, I managed to lose my favourite one! No wonder I got myself into so much debt as well.
It is good (or really not so good) to see a woman after my own heart. Like 1, buy 3 to save money, never wear the others and possibly never wear the 1. Clothes, buy 1, like it, buy in every colour and never in 10 lifetimes have the time or event to wear them. Shoes, the same. Some have been a good buy and worn hundreds of times, but more have only seen light of day once and kept because I can't justify not wearing the money spent. I am gradually getting rid of things, but not anywhere near fast enough. I am more restrained now, but still do have a tendency to buy more than one of something I really like.

It is good (or really not so good) to see a woman after my own heart. Like 1, buy 3 to save money, never wear the others and possibly never wear the 1. Clothes, buy 1, like it, buy in every colour and never in 10 lifetimes have the time or event to wear them. Shoes, the same. Some have been a good buy and worn hundreds of times, but more have only seen light of day once and kept because I can't justify not wearing the money spent. I am gradually getting rid of things, but not anywhere near fast enough. I am more restrained now, but still do have a tendency to buy more than one of something I really like.
I’m most definitely a reformed character now - thank God! The scarf lace addiction ( and I’m still asking myself why) was probably the worst it got but yes I bought myself a coat I liked and cause it was a bargain I bought it in 3 more colours and seldom wore them as the only one that suited me was the one I chose originally- we live and learn!!

Latest posts

Back