My name’s Alan and I’m a recovering QVC-holic

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
When I first discovered QVC about 10 years ago I got completely suckered in by the novelty.

I have literally spent £1000’s over the years.

Some purchases have been useful stuff, but at least half have been things that I didn’t need and haven’t used!

Even If I wanted to use something for the first time I doubt if I could find it among the pile of stuff scattered around “Strato Towers”.

Although I’d never used my VAX carpet cleaner since I bought it about 8 years ago, it was a godsend when I spilt over a gallon of milk on my carpet.

On the other hand, I’ve just stumbled upon a large Tefal deep-fat fryer that I was suckered into buying. I used it once, but it uses so much oil, and then it is so heavy it it difficult to pour it out again.

If this thread proves popular, I will go through my records and let you know some of the good and bad stuff I’ve bought.

But, in 90% of cases, I would NOT have bought it if I’d had to go out to the shops, it was just so easy to be sucked into TSV’s, OTO’s and multipays.

What do others think?

I do shop with them quite a lot, but the vast majority of stuff I've bought is happily used. I always think long and hard before clicking the button! I never impulse buy. It's mainly beauty buys and I've found what suits and repeat purchase. There's probably only a couple of disasters one being a DB coat, bought before I realised he was a furrier. I've only returned a couple of things ~ shoes that didn't fit and a vacuum cleaner that didn't work. I have to say I'm a happy customer and usually always pleased with my purchases.

When I first discovered QVC about 10 years ago I got completely suckered in by the novelty.

I have literally spent £1000’s over the years.

Some purchases have been useful stuff, but at least half have been things that I didn’t need and haven’t used!

Even If I wanted to use something for the first time I doubt if I could find it among the pile of stuff scattered around “Strato Towers”.

Although I’d never used my VAX carpet cleaner since I bought it about 8 years ago, it was a godsend when I spilt over a gallon of milk on my carpet.

On the other hand, I’ve just stumbled upon a large Tefal deep-fat fryer that I was suckered into buying. I used it once, but it uses so much oil, and then it is so heavy it it difficult to pour it out again.

If this thread proves popular, I will go through my records and let you know some of the good and bad stuff I’ve bought.

But, in 90% of cases, I would NOT have bought it if I’d had to go out to the shops, it was just so easy to be sucked into TSV’s, OTO’s and multipays.What do others think?

I think the highlighted bit sums it up. I'm sure lots of us have been persuaded to buy thing we would never buy in the shops. I've bought many a L'Occitane TSV and I do like them but would I go into a shop and spend that kind of money on shower gel etc? No way!

Get that itinerary out, I'm all eyes Alan.

p.s. I am a considered purchaser. Now my sis! Well, gentle teasing is hitting home (I hope, think!)

Last edited:
Oh yes but I think my 'love affair' with Q is over? I have returned so much in recent months that I am sure I will be getting THE letter.When I looked at some of the things I have ordered then considered the price they are just not worth it.You are right I just wouldn't consider these items in a shop.I can buy on impulse it is so easy sitting telly in front, laptop in hand & then click ( who did that?!!!) and it's on EZP, never mind the off the planet P&P charges.I have to say it is easy for me to access most of these products in the shops if I really want them!!

Get that itinerary out, I'm all eyes Alan.

p.s. I am a considered purchaser. Now my sis! Well, gentle teasing is hitting home (I hope, think!)

For some reason known only to her, my sister once bought a doll dressed as a nun! :eek: I think it was called Sister Mary :mysmilie_19: It used to freak out my young daughter whenever she saw it :frown:

For some reason known only to her, my sister once bought a doll dressed as a nun! :eek: I think it was called Sister Mary :mysmilie_19: It used to freak out my young daughter whenever she saw it :frown:

Ooh Pinkmoon, you're not one of my 3 sisters are you?? What can I say,
it was a doll collecting phase, thankfully long over...
:cheeky::tongue:

Last edited:
Ooh Pinkmoon, you're not one of my 3 sisters are you?? What can I say,
it was a doll collecting phase, thankfully long over...
:cheeky::tongue:

:giggle: Definitely not. I've got four sisters :tongue:

Glad to hear you've seen the error of your ways :happy:

BB, don't be a spoilsport. I bet your drawers are not as tidy and you are only jealous!

I feel duly reprimanded.

Strato, I can't wait to hear you go through your entire inventory of items purchased from Q with a running commentary. Please go ahead x

I have bought so much from them too in the past but have calmed down a great deal of late. My target for 2012 is not to buy anything unless I really need it which just about rules out everything that they sell! I use my pans and other cooking stuff on an almost daily basis but alas the same cannot be said of the make up, skin stuff and jewellery and the thought of what it has all cost me over the years makes me feel queasy. Too easy to click away online or Q Cut on impulse. Now I find that I have seen and heard it all before when I tune in and the horrific p and p puts me off. I also think that their prices are no longer competative and the only thing that has been luring me in has been the easy pays but I am planning to stay strong and resist this year. Let's see how I get on with my recovery!

Latest posts

Back