My Friend Wants To Know....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My hubby does relief courier work for Parcelnet, and although I don't know the system, every parcel is accounted for and tracable....

Whether or not QVC would know whether your "friend" had kept an item they had not paid for (let's be honest, that's what we're talking about here, right?) is irrelevent, surely? Whether that "friend" could feel guilt-free about doing so, is another matter entirely. I'm not being overly moral here, I'm just surprised anyone would need to ask. Personally, I'd be straight on the phone to CS. But then, that might just be me.
Judging by the number of people with "friends" around here who wouldn't tell them, I'd say it's hardly any surprise QVC are so tight about people returning stuff all the time.
Just a thought - now you've written about it on here, surely your "friend" might be traceable anyway, or someone at QVC might just go looking for them?
Thinking about it also, maybe I'm not typical but I would call "more than 50 quid" quite a lot of money.

Last edited:
Just keep it - sorry, tell your friend to keep it. You are among friend so we wont tell!! Mmmm what sort of money can you make out of blackmail????

Tell the truth and shame the devil!

Nicky-j's points are relevant- we all pay for 'lost' parcels with QVC's high p&p charges, and let's face it, there's enough complaining about that issue here.

It's all a question of individual moral views, I think. This is a borderline case -- I mean it isn't mega-fraud. But to me, it's not quite right all the same.

I'm with Nicky-J. I couldn't enjoy something I'd obtained like that. I think your friend should phone CS and enjoy the warm glow of having done the right thing.

In answer to your original question, would QVC actually KNOW, that's a matter for how efficient their checking and auditing systems are. I think they probably would discover it in the end, whether they'd bother to do anything about it is another matter.

This happened to me last year - something didn't turn up, so got new item sent and then the old one showed up rather battered. I sent one of the back - but *think* I got QVC to send me a returns label so I don't have to fork out for the postage. I couldn't justify keeping both (was around the £35-£40).

I'm with Nicky J & Calvin on this one.

Isn't keeping it like when people claim on house insurance for things they never had in the first place figuring the big insurance company are paying for it so it doesn't matter? Problem being all our insurance premiums go up to cover it. It's always us who pays for dishonesty like this, not the big companies.

I honestly do get why "your friend" is tempted though. It's easy to do something like this because you're not actually doing anything at all, just neglecting to do something that deep down you know you should... but would "your friend" consider shop lifting OK? That's effectively what "your friend" would be doing.

Sorry if that's not the answer "your friend" was looking for. :eek:

If the original turned up with something else, you only signed for the other item, right? This has happened to us before and CS weren't bothered. We were told that the product would just get binned anyway.

I'm with Nicky J & Calvin on this one.

So am I.

Something I'd ordered a couple of years ago didn't turn up and so I rang CS. They sent out a disclaimer form and also despatched the replacement. I asked what I should do if the other parcel turned up and was told that if it did then it wouldn't be a problem. (The goods cost about £15) However, I told her that I would return it anyway. In all conscience I couldn't keep something I'd not paid for........and I'm sure that any losses do get passed onto the customer, so we all pay more in the end.

A 'friend' once received a replacement crate of Veuve Clicquot champers from Sainsburys when an order went missing, and then the original turned up - lets just say that the 'friend' had a very giddy Xmas :5:

I think we've all done things like this to a certain degree ( I'm sure I have ) and each to their own but just a thought - we wonder why all the P&P keeps going up ? Nothing is ever free - if the delivery people have to insure for losses and they claim for that then their premiums go up ... who are they going to pass that on to ?

I think we've all done things like this to a certain degree ( I'm sure I have )

Trust me, we haven't.

Passing costs on to the rest of us aside doesn't the declaration form require you to agree to support QVC in any legal claim against the couriers? The "Friend" could hardly go ahead with that, if they had signed it, now could they? I'm pretty sure, rather than being a minor matter this would actually be insurance fraud or something similar.

The thing is, if your friend is really worried about getting caught, it seems a crazy thing to risk it. If QVC pursue the claim against the carrier, which they are likely to do, the carrier will be able to prove someone of your friend's name signed for the item. It won't take them long to put two and two together!
But as I say, I'm pretty liberal-minded but have to say I'm astonished by how few people seem to think this is simply the wrong thing to do.

Trust me, we haven't.

Passing costs on to the rest of us aside doesn't the declaration form require you to agree to support QVC in any legal claim against the couriers? The "Friend" could hardly go ahead with that, if they had signed it, now could they? I'm pretty sure, rather than being a minor matter this would actually be insurance fraud or something similar.

The thing is, if your friend is really worried about getting caught, it seems a crazy thing to risk it. If QVC pursue the claim against the carrier, which they are likely to do, the carrier will be able to prove someone of your friend's name signed for the item. It won't take them long to put two and two together!
But as I say, I'm pretty liberal-minded but have to say I'm astonished by how few people seem to think this is simply the wrong thing to do.

It's not my 'friend' btw. I was trying to put my view forward wthout appearing judgmental.As I said - each to their own ( conscience) . None of us are whiter than white was all I was saying.

Last edited:
I'd say it's up to the individuals concience whether they keep it or not, but if they send it back it will go to one of the outlet shops and be sold off cheap anyway and does anyone really think that if everyone was totally honest QVC would reduce their postage charges.........I think not.

It's not my 'friend' btw. I was trying to put my view forward wthout appearing judgmental.As I said - each to their own ( conscience) . None of us are whiter than white was all I was saying.

I realise that - the way I wrote it was just misleading you! I meant 'you' in the sense of 'one', as in 'if one's friend' etc. Sorry if you felt I was maligning you - I really wasn't. And I wasn't being judgmental - opinions were asked for!
Sorry if you thought I was having a go at you - I wasn't really having a go at anyone by the way - but certainly not you.
I think I might let this subject go now - it seems rather too contentious to me.

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I must say I was truthful and rang CS, they told me someone would come to my house and pick the second one up, so I waited and waited but no one came so I kept it. Which was their fault not mine. So I suppose being truthful is the best in the end. (well for me anyway)

Ultimately you have to live with yourself . I think a huge factor in the present 'credit crunch' is the fact that people do stuff like this and think no one pays . We all suffer in the end one way or another . Be honest . Would you like to live with someone who isn't ?

I realise that - the way I wrote it was just misleading you! I meant 'you' in the sense of 'one', as in 'if one's friend' etc. Sorry if you felt I was maligning you - I really wasn't. And I wasn't being judgmental - opinions were asked for!
Sorry if you thought I was having a go at you - I wasn't really having a go at anyone by the way - but certainly not you.
I think I might let this subject go now - it seems rather too contentious to me.

No problem !

Latest posts

Back