More Desperate Sales Techniques by Flint

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
she just suggested that your granny who might be having difficulty managing a mouse, would prefer to use a Picture, Video and Graphic Editing Tablet instead.

yeah... go granny!

My friend's grandad passed away last week at the age of 97. He went from an old secondhand desktop to a laptop but jumped at the chance of getting a tablet year before last and hadn't looked back. He did all his shopping online, having groceries delivered at his convenience as well as doing all his Christmas shopping online this past year. He was much more tech than most people half his age or younger.

She is desperate to get sales and to justify her being brought back to QVC.
Sorry but i have never liked her style - she just seems too pushy.

Roll up, Roll up - back to the market for Miss Flint! :happy:

Ok, so how do we define 'grannies' in our minds ????

Is it still the bent old lady with grey hair in a bun and sitting in a rocking chair ?
The 40 something high powered go-getter in the office ?
The blue rinse, helmet haired charity shop worker ?
The denim wearing pop concert/clubbing type ?
The daily grandchild carer who goes off on cruises ?

An interesting thought - but noticeably the Press tend to refer to type - saying "a xxxxx year old grandmother" when reporting a story, and I always think why ?

Exactly Brissles. When girls are now breeding at 15 (and even younger :rolleyes:) in theory if their brats followed the same pattern (as often happens) they could be grandmothers in their early 30s.

Ok, so how do we define 'grannies' in our minds ????

Is it still the bent old lady with grey hair in a bun and sitting in a rocking chair ?
The 40 something high powered go-getter in the office ?
The blue rinse, helmet haired charity shop worker ?
The denim wearing pop concert/clubbing type ?
The daily grandchild carer who goes off on cruises ?

An interesting thought - but noticeably the Press tend to refer to type - saying "a xxxxx year old grandmother" when reporting a story, and I always think why ?

DB was obviously thinking of your first option brissles - hence the inability to use a mouse!

Yes but earlier in the week she was saying you may like to buy multiples of the coloured click free.
The blue one I think it was you'd choose to put on all family video's/photo's and give to Granny.
Surely if Granny is so techy forward Debbie with graphics tablets, she'd already be backing up with her own click free or likewise.
I'm sure we may well have heard buy two laptops and get your friend/son/daughter/dad/mother/granny/auntie/uncle/niece/nephew/neighbour/school crossing lady/person who walks the dog/feeds the cat etc etc.
Or just someone else who's going to say why didn't you get me one cause it's such a bargain.
Last night with the Dell laptop she was asking which colours are you going to jump to the phones for, hubby commented she's trying to sell two again.

Seems to me it's really getting anyone, anything thing will do,in the sales pitch to grab a sale.

Errrrrr.......................it's her job!!:cool:

Yes it is her job but so is ensuring the customer knows what they are buying, the first thing should be information about the product either from her or the guest.
It shouldn't be here's the item number now to the phone cause you know someone will need it, and your best to buy more than one or one in every colour to give to all and sundry.
If she was so good at sales then you'd just have to buy one because her information pitch makes it unmissable, not that she's telling you go to the phones, it's just so unmissable.

TBH.........the way I see it is,there is quite a bit of time to fill,especially on tech stuff ie this is what it does and how much it costs.To bleat on and on about what it does all the time would probably tune quite a few people out,not the ones who have tuned in especially but certainly the casual viewer........these are the ones who's sales can make all the difference to a good and bad day.

There will always be the ones who want to buy,after that it is all about persuading the ditherers and the unsures.This is where 'suggesting' who it may be useful for comes into play and can make a difference to commisions.Sales commision isn't a dirty phrase btw,it's how the world of sales works!

Now I would have more of a problem if she was suggesting that poor Granny buy one for each of her grandchildren,which may be numerous lol rather than someone buying it for a person who may be scared of a keyboard........which there are a good deal of as my Dad is discovering on his basic computer course,they all think he is some sort of expert because he knows how to use a keyboard and mouse lol.

It just seems to me that Debbie F comes in for more stick than other presenters because she is smart at selling up and selling more and she also tends to present tech shows and the like where the items are a higher value.

Other presenters telling us to buy 3 nail polish collections to keep 2 in the bottom drawer as presents and get one of each colour of pearl necklace because you never know is acceptable,but should Debbie ever mention that something might be useful for a more senior member of society she is money grabbing evil vermin!

Is there a code of conduct for responsible selling practice? I would have thought so and that QVC presenters would have to abide by it. Yes, their job is selling but there is a limit. I think most of the presenters are guilty of over-selling at some time or other but DF seems to do it on the more expensive items like laptops etc and that is where I have the issue.

TBH.........the way I see it is,there is quite a bit of time to fill,especially on tech stuff ie this is what it does and how much it costs.To bleat on and on about what it does all the time would probably tune quite a few people out,not the ones who have tuned in especially but certainly the casual viewer........these are the ones who's sales can make all the difference to a good and bad day.

There will always be the ones who want to buy,after that it is all about persuading the ditherers and the unsures.This is where 'suggesting' who it may be useful for comes into play and can make a difference to commisions.Sales commision isn't a dirty phrase btw,it's how the world of sales works!

Now I would have more of a problem if she was suggesting that poor Granny buy one for each of her grandchildren,which may be numerous lol rather than someone buying it for a person who may be scared of a keyboard........which there are a good deal of as my Dad is discovering on his basic computer course,they all think he is some sort of expert because he knows how to use a keyboard and mouse lol.

It just seems to me that Debbie F comes in for more stick than other presenters because she is smart at selling up and selling more and she also tends to present tech shows and the like where the items are a higher value.

Other presenters telling us to buy 3 nail polish collections to keep 2 in the bottom drawer as presents and get one of each colour of pearl necklace because you never know is acceptable,but should Debbie ever mention that something might be useful for a more senior member of society she is money grabbing evil vermin!

i think you have a good point there sweetpea. most of the female presenters stick to selling their sweetie sweetie girly stuff. at least debbie can sell anything. i can imagine CS on the dell show doing her coy 'this is all too complicated for little me' thing. great help that would be to the viewer.

It's that steely eyed look down the camera that annoys me so much when she is trying to urge you to buy it NOW!!!!!! She reminds me of that "ambulance chasing" advert where the two blokes and the woman are trying to make you believe that they are REAL Lawyers. Nah, some may like her style, but unfortunately she doesn't make me want to buy anything she tries to sell, in fact it makes me determined not to buy anything that she thinks will make our lives absolutely wonderful with said item.

I once read an interview with Julia (it might have been on here,when graham used to get interviews) when she said that QVCUK pioneered the "over the garden fence" style of presentation, where you're supposed to feel like a friendly neighbour is telling you about a great product. She said at the time this was groundbreaking because the US Was very much into the hard sell, but have since followed the UK.

Shame that there's nothing "over the garden fence" about Flint's style. Unless you have the misfortune to live next door to a second hand car salesman from Essex.

At the end of the day,Debbie can suggest we buy 100 Dell laptops because it would be really nice for your local Primary school to have enough for each ickle cherub to use,doesn't mean that anyone would do so!

You still have to make a concerted effort to purchase said item ie phone up or use the website,and even after all this IF you decide that maybe you shouldn't have bought said item or change your mind you can send it back.........that is where responsible selling comes into play,it's not as if now it's arrived 'tough luck' you have to keep it!

I can understand why some may not like Debbie,we are all different after all,Catherine Huntley and Claire Sutton do my head in and I like Alison Young where many do not.I wouldn't say that I am a Debbie Fan as such,but I do think she is smarter and more informed than many presenters.

Surely, at the end of the day, it all comes down to being responsible for your own actions, whoever is doing the selling. If you don't need it, can't afford it or don't want it, then don't ruddy order it.
If you are so naive as to be "snapping it up" just because you're told by someone that it is wonderful, without (especially with expensive stuff) doing further research, then that is your problem, and you probably shouldn't be watching shopping channels if you're that easily persuaded.
As Sweetpea said, they are salespeople trained to use every method possible to part us from our hard earned pennies.
And I would also far rather watch Debbies, somewhat clumsy, hard sell, than CH's saccharine sweet, "ooh, I'm getting my maths all wrong again" nauseating style,which is more inclined to have me reaching for the sick bucket instead of the phone.

Latest posts

Back