Micellar Cleansing Water - What's the difference between High St and QVC brands???

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glittergirl

Registered Shopper
This has been annoying me for some time now, lol!! I constantly see Micellar Water in local shops at a fraction of the cost and well know brands. Saw one in Sainsbury's the other day for around £4/5 and it looked good to me!

So, are these products in the shops, chemists, supermarkets which are far cheaper but state they contain more or less the same items as the likes of Decleor etc. not just the same product? Never tried it, but I see advertised on QVC a lot lately - on it's on is about £25/26. Pricey, eh? :mysmilie_10:

Curious to hear if anyone has tried it.

I've used the Garnier one and am happy with it but I haven't tried any of the brands QVC sell. A few weeks ago I saw mini bottles of the Garnier for £1 in Boots so it's worth keeping a look out for those. It does last for ages so even a small bottle would let you to give it a decent try.

I think it was Garnier I tried and I found it a bit drying on the skin, which was not the case with Decleor. However I am sure I would have found one which was not like this had I persevered in the DHS. I am not a big fan of MW though, I prefer the oil or a cream cleanser.

I gave up buying skincare from QVC a long time ago so I can`t comment on the micellar waters they sell but I`ve used several different high street ones and found them perfectly ok. I usually use a hot cloth type of cleanser at night and wash my face in the morning but micellars are quick and easy to use and handy for a quick cleanse. I`ve used the Garnier one, the Simple one and Superdrug B one and they were all pretty much the same. If I had to choose one of them, then I think the Garnier would just about take the lead over the other two, I used the one in the pink bottle but they have others in the range. Almost every brand does them nowadays and I can`t see the point of paying £25 for something which a cheaper high street brand can do just as effectively.

I've never bought micellar water so can't be of much help, but I had a small bottle of the Clarins one last year. It was part of their gift time events in Debenhams, and it was called one step cleanser,it was the orange one. I suppose it is their version of a micellar water, but it left a sticky film on my skin after using, and I felt that I wanted to wash my face after. It ended up in the bin and it put me off this type of cleanser, this does show however that expensive versions are not always better than cheaper ones.

Two things will tell you the difference, pretty much: 1. ingredients list; 2. price.

I always make sure that they do not contain alcohol,this month I've been using Bioderma for sensitive dehydrated skin as I like to use on my eyes to remove makeup,by the way the new Gatineau eye makeup remover is awful.

I've used the Decleor micellar oil and its much nicer than the B Pure Micellar oil from Superdrug in texture and smell as well as effectiveness. BUT the B Pure micellar water is the best I've tried by far. Better than Garnier and L'Oreal.

Yes I have always had my doubts about how effective they are in removing makeup. I use the M Oil as a morning cleanser and only use the water at night if I have been in all day and not used makeup. Otherwise I would use cleanser and toner.

I don't wear make up really - and if I do I it's only eye make up which is removed brilliantly by an oil or melting gel cleanser (body shop or Superdrug) but I find micellar water great. For me I have tended to use it when I have no energy and especially at night... But if I use a hot cloth cleanser for example, I often use the micellar as a toner to remove last traces and I find it's great at doing that. It's removed mascara very well too for me.
As to the brand I would never touch Decleor or other high end micellar water (even if I could afford it!) because I don't believe that the micellar technology can be worth paying so much money for.
Day to day I use the pink Garnier one and I got it half price at tesco and it lasts forever!
I have tried the simple one (okay) and Nivea one (not massively keen but fine) but would recommend Garnier one of these.

I use micellar water (usually the Garnier one) for damping my cotton wool pads to use for removing my cleanser :)

I've been using the Garnier one for sometime. I bought the huge Elemis cleansing balm and then started to get breakouts. Went into savers and saw Garnier MW for £1 and thought why not. I use it to cleanse before bed, use Elemis Toner followed by Aldi serum ( about a third of the vial) then every other night I put Aldi night cream on too.
My skin hasn't been this good for years so Im very happy.

I do the full faff in the evening with whatever my hand finds first, normally Decleor or Elemis then the Garnier Blue bottle in the morning. Suits me fine.

I use the B. Pure micellar water for eyes. I will use it all over when I'm too tired to do a proper cleanse. I should point out that I don't use it to remove makeup.

I've tried the decleor micellar water (small travel size in one kit or other I purchased) and didn't find it any better than the B. Pure.

I will also add that however I cleanse, I always follow with a toner. Mainly with Clarins Extra Comfort, but at other times with Liz Earle Instant Boost.

Last edited:
Yes I have always had my doubts about how effective they are in removing makeup. I use the M Oil as a morning cleanser and only use the water at night if I have been in all day and not used makeup. Otherwise I would use cleanser and toner.

Mainly wondering if the cheaper brands are close to the more expensive ones on QVC! They look similar but hard to tell. I find most Toners to drying and generally stay away from them!

I don't wear make up really - and if I do I it's only eye make up which is removed brilliantly by an oil or melting gel cleanser (body shop or Superdrug) but I find micellar water great. For me I have tended to use it when I have no energy and especially at night... But if I use a hot cloth cleanser for example, I often use the micellar as a toner to remove last traces and I find it's great at doing that. It's removed mascara very well too for me.
As to the brand I would never touch Decleor or other high end micellar water (even if I could afford it!) because I don't believe that the micellar technology can be worth paying so much money for.
Day to day I use the pink Garnier one and I got it half price at tesco and it lasts forever!
I have tried the simple one (okay) and Nivea one (not massively keen but fine) but would recommend Garnier one of these.

Thanks for this reply, will try one of them soon. Garnier or Nivea sound ideal and a lot cheaper too, great!! :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back