memory foam topper v feather topper

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

livelovelaugh

Registered Shopper
hi! has anyone had any experience of either..or perhaps both? i like northern nights stuff, although i have only bought their sheets, so do not know what their feather toppers are like...the memory foam options are massive and i do not know where to start!

basically, i think the memory foam looks good but i am not sure...does anyone have any experience of these toppers and any advice?

Memory foam is the best,the feathers are spikey and heavy what ever they say on QVC.

about 3 years ago there was one of the longest threads on here about memory foam topper, after QVC had the TRue Sleeper as a TSV.
they were mainly given the thumbs up.
Some people found having to shake thier feather beds daily a chore.Though thoose with te older models of fether beds seemed more satisfied.
I have the TRue Sleeper Topper and am considering in getting a new mattress with memory foam in it, some of the mattresses dont have any more memory foam in them than my topper. Topper also seem to come in difeernt depths.

feather beds are nice if you get a really good one and it must have down on top as the feathers migrate and the quills stick out.

memory foam is good as a supprt but i dont feel as supprtive as a good feather bed. by the way be prepared to pay £140 for a good feather bed(double) even from qvc as the cheaper ones are really that long lasting or as comfortable as they dont have enough stuffing in.
to be honest i would never sleep without a feather bed as even the best matress needs some help even a mediun priced feather bed makes a great difference but an exceptional feather bed.... is well exceptional. hope this helps

Hiya Livelovelaugh(brilliant name) - well i've got both feather bed on top of a memory foam mattress and love love love them. I also have memory foam pillows and put a NN down feather pillow ontop of a MF pillow when going to sleep and again love love love, both my body and my head get brilliant support.
Before i bought my MF mattress i just had my NN feather bed over an ordinary mattress which was great when i first went into bed but as the feathers dispersed around my body the FB went flat and needed shaking up to give it a loft - annoying. But never looked back after purchasing the MF mattress and using both.
As many know i broke my back around five years ago and found i was in a lot of pain in the morning initially but am happy to say that these days are now few and far between(painkillers help too!!). When i'm going to sleep i have a NN down feather pillow at the back of me and i place a MF pillow between my legs and if sleeping on my back i support both my legs over the MF pillow - really cozy and some nights i dont move atall during the night. Let us know what you go for,if anything. Linda

I have had both. Liked the cushiony feeling of the featherbed, didn't like the having to shake it every morning - and a superking was about 10kilos or so - and it didn't bounce back. The dents you made stayed until shaken out. Featherbeds are also supposed to be replaced every 5 years - so says Suzie from NN - as feathers do attract dust mites and poo. Now have a memory foam one, though you have to look into things like density and thickness. Last forever, no need to shake. Down side, they can be a bit cold and hard until your body heat warms them up.

I am about to buy a new bed (well thought I would wait till the January sales) and as I love my feather bed wondered if was worth going for one with Memory foam on the top??? Do you still get the benefit from it through the feather bed??

Rosey

I find the memory foam doesnt cushion your body until it heats up(with your body heat) so the FB cushions the body until this happens. I love using both of them - MF mattress well worth the money IMO.

Linda

Memory foam - it's fab ! Even my very sceptical partner (what c**p have you bought from QVC now?) likes it. I find the support is great without it being too hard. Love my memory foam pillow too. Both covered with NN 300TC duvet sets and a NN down throw in the colder weather. Lovely....

We have a memory foam mattress ( bought this year from costco) after a few years of a feather topper on a normal mattress. DH has had a slipped disc in the past and wasn't sleeping well.
Must say the memory foam in my opinion is far superior - but haven't tried the 2 together - might just try that as haven't thrown the feather away.

Didn't realise how well we slept 'til we went to our house in Spain - and yes you've guessed it - had to buy a memory foam topper for the bed there too!

I have only tried a memory foam topper and I love my bed now. One of the best things I bought from Ideal World.

Recently bought a Comfort and Dreams MF topper for my daughter from IW and she loves hers too - and it was about £60 cheaper than mine.

Have tried both. Featherbed was rubbish: lumpy, uncomfortable and heavy - they need shaking up every day to redistribute the feathers. Oh, and the feathers poke through the cover and scratch you . Memory foam, on the other hand, is bliss.

Again, I've had both...and used both together as well. I loved my NN down on top fb...and OH was brilliant at making the bed every day. It did give me far more support than the mf mattress on its own. The fb died this year, and I am still considering another one...but then I could buy another mf mattress and have two!

I have the true sleeper...my sister has another version that QVC did that came with its own cover fitted. She, and her wafer thin daughter, both swear that it is more comfortable than the true sleeper , but I think that might be that the cover makes it a little cooler in the summer time.

I think I'm in the minority here because I prefer my NN featherbed over a memory foam topper I also bought from QVC.
The featherbed is all squishy and cosy while I found the MF made me sweat buckets, so it's a vote for featherbeds from me:1:

We have a memory foam mattress ( bought this year from costco) after a few years of a feather topper on a normal mattress.

We bought a MF topper from Costco too and it's the best thing I've ever bought. It does have a cover on it that comes with it. We also have a mattress protector over it and then a flannel fitted sheet (for the winter) and a cotton fitted sheet.

Rosey

I find the memory foam doesnt cushion your body until it heats up(with your body heat) so the FB cushions the body until this happens. I love using both of them - MF mattress well worth the money IMO.

Linda

Thank QVC princess, I think I will go for a bed with memory foam on and then put my down on top FB on top of that - go for real luxury.

about 3 years ago there was one of the longest threads on here about memory foam topper, after QVC had the TRue Sleeper as a TSV.
they were mainly given the thumbs up.
Some people found having to shake thier feather beds daily a chore.Though thoose with te older models of fether beds seemed more satisfied.
I have the TRue Sleeper Topper and am considering in getting a new mattress with memory foam in it, some of the mattresses dont have any more memory foam in them than my topper. Topper also seem to come in difeernt depths.

It was me! I started that thread as I have had both Feather and Memory Foam True Sleeper, I still have my Memory Foam and will not part with it. It has to be the best buy from QVC IMHO.
I couldn't believe how long that thread had got, I was amazed.

Back to the matter in hand yes Memory Foam time and again for me, excellent buy.

:35:

Thank QVC princess, I think I will go for a bed with memory foam on and then put my down on top FB on top of that - go for real luxury.

My pleasure babex You'll love the MF mattress - you'll just have to work out how your going to get up in the morning at any reasonable time!!

Hi
Not knowing much about these things!! Could someone please tell the difference between a 'feather bed' and using another feather filled duvet on top of the mattress, under the bottom sheet???????
Thank you
RG

Hi
Not knowing much about these things!! Could someone please tell the difference between a 'feather bed' and using another feather filled duvet on top of the mattress, under the bottom sheet???????
Thank you
RG

Hi RomanGirl, I'm not sure, but I'd have thought the feathers used in a featherbed have to be more resilient than the kind they use in a duvet as you lie on top of it all night and it has to be supportive rather than just warm. Featherbeds are alot heavier then duvets so I guess they have a lot more filling, too.

Latest posts

Back