Maybe I'm just not HiP.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Just checking my , and Danny from HP is on the morning show. I heard him tell Simon "my son loves this app", and thought, goodness, he's growing up fast. Then he goes on to tell us "he's not even two, and he's learned the alphabet." It maybe because I don't have kids, but a two year old, really into technology? Or am I just not 'with it'?
So, I'm really going to even CONSIDER spending just under £400 for a laptop, for a toddler? I don't think that would happen in this lifetime, even if I did have kids. Now, for my boxers? That's a different scenario!
Which begs - pardon the pun - the question, quite topical seeing as the tsv is Kelly Hoppen, and she is on Dragons Den : I could invent a pc for dogs? Would I get an investment, do you think? The thing is, there would be people out there who would buy it.

I totally understand what you're saying, but personally I have no problem with it.
Children (whatever age they may be) can benefit enormously from using technology IMO. My 10 year old Godson has forgotten more about computers than I will ever know. In fact most of his homework is now done on-line. (A school requirement btw), but.... like everything else, moderation is key.
Some parents would be happy for their 2 year old to spend 10 hours per day in front of a computer (or TV), while some parents would limit the use to an hour a day or so.
As long as the child is happy & healthy and spends time with other children, I think technology is a good thing for them, especially as most jobs require some kind of computer knowledge a requirement now, so when these kids are looking for jobs it's going to be very important I think.

Yep I know 2 year old that can use tablets. I have no problem with that. Agree that they should do other activities as well.

We live in a technological age and the earlier children become familiar with such things the better in my opinion. I don't advocate sitting on computers, game boys, iPads etc all day everyday - all things in moderation but they can be extremely educational if used in the correct manner. Perhaps 2 is a bit ridiculous for using an app and the obvious expenditure on the equipment? My 10 mth old loves pressing buttons on the keyboard and on the iPad - like may toys it teaches him about cause and effect.

I think by the time this generation of kids are looking for a job, today's computers, apps, tablets, etc etc will be old hat and outdated - remember, 20 years ago we didn't have mobile phones ! Good social skills, interaction with other people, manners, ARTICULATION and tidy appearance will never go out of fashion when job searching !

Just checking my , and Danny from HP is on the morning show. I heard him tell Simon "my son loves this app", and thought, goodness, he's growing up fast. Then he goes on to tell us "he's not even two, and he's learned the alphabet." It maybe because I don't have kids, but a two year old, really into technology? Or am I just not 'with it'?
So, I'm really going to even CONSIDER spending just under £400 for a laptop, for a toddler? I don't think that would happen in this lifetime, even if I did have kids. Now, for my boxers? That's a different scenario!
Which begs - pardon the pun - the question, quite topical seeing as the tsv is Kelly Hoppen, and she is on Dragons Den : I could invent a pc for dogs? Would I get an investment, do you think? The thing is, there would be people out there who would buy it.

My 2 year old loves pinching my smartphone and husband's tablet. But we dont let her very often. There are lots of Apps that are designed for little ones to play with. We bought her a "leap pad" instead though and she is more than happy with that!

I totally understand what you're saying, but personally I have no problem with it.
Children (whatever age they may be) can benefit enormously from using technology IMO. My 10 year old Godson has forgotten more about computers than I will ever know. In fact most of his homework is now done on-line. (A school requirement btw), but.... like everything else, moderation is key.
Some parents would be happy for their 2 year old to spend 10 hours per day in front of a computer (or TV), while some parents would limit the use to an hour a day or so.
As long as the child is happy & healthy and spends time with other children, I think technology is a good thing for them, especially as most jobs require some kind of computer knowledge a requirement now, so when these kids are looking for jobs it's going to be very important I think.

I agree; If I had wanted kids, they would definitely be exposed to all things techy and, as long as parental controls are in place, the internet is a marvellous tools for kids/adults of all ages. I just found it rather surreal, a two year old 'loving' an app. When I was that age, I'm sure parents used a dummy to calm a tot down - although I apparently didn't have one - now it's show them an app! Just makes one realise how advanced kids are these days. The internet, I couldn't last a day without; apps are not my thing at all.

EXCELLENT article relating to this subject on page 37 of todays Daily Mail ! a 3 year old ADDICTED to the iPad, and its consequences. Something all parents should read.

I love technology and always liked computers etc at school, but there was something really wonderful about reading a book with a torch late at night. I loved Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Secret Seven and Fantastic Four. My mother used to buy them for me from the PDSA charity shop. I also loved Ian Seraillier's "The Silver Sword," and many more.
I think it's a real shame when people think that apps / texting/ touch screen tablets are the be all and end all. They're not! Nothing is better than a good book or listening to the radio!

I don't get much time to read nowadays as I have 6 grandchildren coming & going constantly.

I remember as a 10 year old going off on the bus,alone,to the library every Saturday morning & spending the day there reading Enid Blyton's many books. No wonder the nun in my convent school said I lived in my own little world ha ha

My granddaughter Alannah is 11 & loves nothing more than curling up,reading her books,usually the Wimpy Kids ones.

She's a dab hand on the computer & knows far more than I do but her mum watches her carefully & she's not allowed have a Facebook account though most of her friends have one.

Her mum says maybe next year!

It's a question of balance. I certainly wouldn't advocate children sitting in front of the computer or the telly for hours on end, but in moderation it's a good thing. I grew up in an age where half an hour of watching Bill and Ben was the highlight of the day, so I'm not averse to children learning about computers. As has been said, it's essential in the modern world. But the important things are interaction with real people, reading and being read to. Everything will flow from there.

Hi Guys,

http://youtu.be/-6tFUyaZ21g

Danny here, great thread, I thought you would all enjoy the attached link of my son using the Slate 21, he loves this as much as he loves playing football and with his little brother, its perfect for when we are potty training him, he sits there so quietly watching Elmo's Potty Training and when we are feeding him we put on his favorite YouTube Channel. What is great that its so many of the toys he has rolled into one. HP and QVC have strict guidelines about claims that we make on TV, which ensures that any kind of scenarios or personal stories/claims have to be true. Trust me, my wife would never allow him to spend all his time using it. Hopefully this gives him a little head start when he goes to nursery. Enjoy the clip, hope all is well Graham, haven't seen you on Facebook for a while.

I love technology and always liked computers etc at school, but there was something really wonderful about reading a book with a torch late at night. I loved Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Secret Seven and Fantastic Four. My mother used to buy them for me from the PDSA charity shop. I also loved Ian Seraillier's "The Silver Sword," and many more.
I think it's a real shame when people think that apps / texting/ touch screen tablets are the be all and end all. They're not! Nothing is better than a good book or listening to the radio!

I'm with you there Julius, nothing beats a book ( no matter what your taste) and music.
I could live quite happily without any tech, although then I wouldn't be able to read this forum !

Hi Guys,

Danny here, great thread, I thought you would all enjoy the attached link of my son using the Slate 21, he loves this as much as he loves playing football and with his little brother, its perfect for when we are potty training him, he sits there so quietly watching Elmo's Potty Training and when we are feeding him we put on his favorite YouTube Channel. What is great that its so many of the toys he has rolled into one. HP and QVC have strict guidelines about claims that we make on TV, which ensures that any kind of scenarios or personal stories/claims have to be true. Trust me, my wife would never allow him to spend all his time using it. Hopefully this gives him a little head start when he goes to nursery. Enjoy the clip, hope all is well Graham, haven't seen you on Facebook for a while.

Hi Danny welcome to ST , Qvc's favourite forum :D

It really is a question of balance. I used to work in developmental psychology research (and education) and although I'm a bit out of date, there was plenty of work on impact (negative) of screen time on children - esp under 2's (tv and tablets etc). Found these guidelines online...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000355.htm

But having said that there are some great app's for little ones if they're used with care and particularly if they've been designed with little people in mind... Great little educational one which I know was properly research is Cambugs, for teaching phonics...

Hi Guys,

Ahhhh that's a very sweet clip. I saw your presentation of the Slate 21. I just don't know what it is but I just didn't like the product. Seems to be fussy for the sake of it. Danny your taste in music is great and I like how you demo all the HP products you bring us. Still waiting for the next HP laptop TSV, fingers crossed.
Steve

Thanks upsidedown for your kind words, I completely understand not everyone will like the products I show :eek:(, each to their own. I love my music, let me know if I can recommend any good albums for you.

Hi Guys,

And he's only two, Danny? I get the impression he will grow up as, and to be, an intelligent young man. I think it's all to do with the name, Oscar. Let me explain, I used to breed boxers, and have a dad and son, the eldest is called...Oscar, and I can't keep him off my laptop!
Don't suppose you could recommend a HP printer - must have slot for memory card - as my old HP has eventually expired?

There were a select few who laughed at Alexander Grahame Bell at the time ...

I think my brother enjoyed reading books under the sheets with a torch, but they weren't Enid Blyton :mysmilie_11:

Latest posts

Back