Margaret Dabbs is 'medically trained'?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Craftalot

Indigenouscommunities
AY has just told us that 'Margaret Dabbs is medically trained'. Really? That phrase usually means that she's done a MB BChir degree, i.e an undergraduate medical degree. A podiatrist, or other allied health professional, would never describe themselves as 'medically trained', and I don't even know if the Dabbster is even that.

Alison Young being a bit loose with language again. I also dislike how Mary Archer, aka Lisa Caddy of Phillip Kingsley is often described as a 'consultant' and someone who runs 'clinics' for her 'patients'. We all know the insinuation of these words, and why they're being used like this.

I would love to try her range. I have passed her beautiful salon in Marylebone a few times. Looks amazing. But the TSV's don't remotely appeal as they are usually bundles that I dont want. A nice selection of her range would be ideal.

AY has just told us that 'Margaret Dabbs is medically trained'. Really? That phrase usually means that she's done a MB BChir degree, i.e an undergraduate medical degree. A podiatrist, or other allied health professional, would never describe themselves as 'medically trained', and I don't even know if the Dabbster is even that.

Alison Young being a bit loose with language again. I also dislike how Mary Archer, aka Lisa Caddy of Phillip Kingsley is often described as a 'consultant' and someone who runs 'clinics' for her 'patients'. We all know the insinuation of these words, and why they're being used like this.
I call her Lady Archer! I can't decide if they're related, cloned or LC just modelled herself on the fragrant one.

Personally, if I was going into the beauty business, I'd have changed my name from Dabbs.

(is it just me ? but there's been a helluva lot of beauty tsv's lately)
From the day and hour I first watched Q 20 years ago the beauty shows have been never ending. Back then they were at least interspersed with other good interesting shows but now that those have been ditched it’s beauty non stop and to my eyes ,although I don’t watch them or buy , even those are now a handful on groundhog rotation.

Well I’ve had a scout around and can’t find anything but this:

Attachments

• 49D4B6AA-C484-44EC-B8D0-C819CECA03CB.png
    49D4B6AA-C484-44EC-B8D0-C819CECA03CB.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 140
If she was medically trained that would be all over her own site.

So, think Lulu who went to her ex-husband's labs and techs, and they actually did all the work creating. MD owns the salons but has nothing to do with the creating of actual products.

If she was medically trained that would be all over her own site.

So, think Lulu who went to her ex-husband's labs and techs, and they actually did all the work creating. MD owns the salons but has nothing to do with the creating of actual products.

She‘s talked about her background before, starting off as a medical receptionist, then working as a nurse with a couple of surgeons, and how this led to her interest in feet.

A podiatrist may not be a medical doctor, but it’s surely a profession in the medical field, and she is registered with the Health and Care Professions Council:

She has spoken on air about creating products, and often mentions that the foot lotion was the first one she formulated.

By all means you don’t have to like someone, but you do need to be careful if it looks like you’re questioning their honesty with no real evidence.

She‘s talked about her background before, starting off as a medical receptionist, then working as a nurse with a couple of surgeons, and how this led to her interest in feet.

A podiatrist may not be a medical doctor, but it’s surely a profession in the medical field, and she is registered with the Health and Care Professions Council:

She has spoken on air about creating products, and often mentions that the foot lotion was the first one she formulated.

By all means you don’t have to like someone, but you do need to be careful if it looks like you’re questioning their honesty with no real evidence.
She’s one of my fav guests. I just had a search, not accusing her of anything 🤷‍♀️

But her medical number might be from when she trained as a nurse? I assume she must have trained as nurse if she worked with surgeons.

That link shows her registration number but not the HCPC number which all fully qualified podiatrist have.

https://www.hcpc-uk.org/standards/standards-of-proficiency/chiropodists-podiatrists/

I‘m pretty sure the link shows her HCPC number? The results are explained here:

She's a registered podiatrist with the HCPC, so she's not medically trained. No HCPC-registered healthcare practitioner would call themselves 'medically trained' because they are Allied Health Professionals. They have no training in medicine, but are trained in a specific discipline or support service such as radiography, dietetics, physiotherapy and yes - podiatry. Whereas a 'medically trained' doctor etc will have undergone a minimum of 5+ years extensive academic and vocational training and examination before being fully registered, an AHP healthcare practitioner can achieve full registration after just three years training.

Being a hospital porter is 'a profession in the medical field', but you wouldn't describe them as 'medically trained'. The distinction is important, and it's not difficult to work out why she's being misdescribed as 'medically trained': to give the products she's selling an added sheen of 'clinical validity', in the same way as 'Dr Mike' from Prime Fifty (those completely unnecessary and scientifically illiterate 'supplements') is always described first and foremost as a 'trained biochemist'. If she was being described correctly as a 'healthcare professional', then there wouldn't be a problem. But she's not.

I've made a complaint to QVC about it, as it is nefarious and deceitful. If they don't respond, or respond inadequately, I'll complain to the ASA about it. There is too much quackery at the moment on QVC and IW, and if no-one complains about it, it just carries on, taking in more and more people with things which are half-truths and misstatements.

Last edited:
But her medical number might be from when she trained as a nurse? I assume she must have trained as nurse if she worked with surgeons.

That link shows her registration number but not the HCPC number which all fully qualified podiatrist have.

https://www.hcpc-uk.org/standards/standards-of-proficiency/chiropodists-podiatrists/

Yes that is her HCPC registration number

I was told, by a colleague's son who is a doctor, that the expression 'medically trained' can only be used to describe a doctor.

Latest posts

Back