Lyndsay ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Would that still stand if they added 'on TV'? And I have to say, Lara was a fav of mine too.
Yeah they could say "Worlds largest gem store on TV" - but that wouldn't be much of an achievement because I can't think of any other TV channels that sell solely loose gemstones.

Yeah that was me. I think the whole 'high end' Jewellery range has taken a big hit on Gemporia now. The Cavill & Co range seemed to have pushed the Lorique range to one side - however, the other day, they did do a Lorique show - and I was shocked to see that they had set SMOKED Ethiopian Opals into 18k gold and were selling them for £2000.

I don't ever recall seeing stones like that in the Lorique range in the past. They always seemed to keep the best quality natural or heat treated stones for the Lorique range.

I could never bring myself to pay £2000 for a smoked stone.

He could have his annoyances (repeated stale jokes, far-fetches long-winded stories, etc), but Alex was Gem Collector. It died the day he left.

Emily loves the sound of her own voice too much, and Jim sells on Gem Collector like he would on Gems TV.

Nick is great. He is perfect for Gem Collector. Knowledgeable but calm. Doesn't have to be the centre of attention. He just cracks on with it. I've said it numerous times before, but the best presenters that ever presented on Gem Collector were Alex, Nick, Lara De-Leuw and Katie Ho.

Completely agree. The quality of the stones has gone down - significantly and the prices have risen - significantly.

The baffling thing for me is that the price rises weren't even gradual. They seemed to just go up overnight.

They also still claim to be the "World's largest gem store" - yet the same stones are repeated day in, day out, because there isn't much stock.

They used to have a huge, varied range of stock 10 years ago, with stones that you can't get anywhere else - but these days, it's just constant Sphene, Tanzanite, and whatever cheap Jasper or Agate they manage to buy by the shipping container full.

GemSelect have thousands of stones in stock - and I would say they're a far bigger gem store than GC these days.

I know what you mean. Gem Collector used to be quite fun to watch even if you wasn't buying anything. Whether it was to listen to Alex's latest far-fetched story, Nick telling us about the latest book he's read, or Lara and Katie's sense of humour. The presenters were knowledgeable - but also quite interesting.

Emily just constantly giggles - and Jim has gone over in Gems TV salesman mode. It just has no appeal at all.

None of the presenters are perfect, but Jeff is still by far the most watchable. He's the most genuine/honest - and I think he does the least amount of 'sales spin' he can get away with without being given a wrist slap by management. He at least breaks things up by telling stories about his mischievous cat or his dad's complaints about his cooking. He doesn't resort to waffling, reminding everyone how to buy every 2 minutes, saying "Absolutely" 300 times an hour, or repeatedly telling us that "Ethel from Edinburgh has got 17, Kate from Kings Lynn has 9 - and Christine from Northampton has sent in her 8th crappy poem of the hour. Good luck to each and every one of you, well done!"

Absolutely.
They just don't know what they're doing - wrong people in the wrong places, etc., etc.... - total BS!

...and I was shocked to see that they had set SMOKED Ethiopian Opals into 18k gold and were selling them for £2000.

I don't ever recall seeing stones like that in the Lorique range in the past. They always seemed to keep the best quality natural or heat treated stones for the Lorique range.

I saw that, quite by chance. My initial response was "ooh, finally a proper dark opal" and then I saw the treatment and my subsequent response was also along the "WTF" lines.

Yeah that was me. I think the whole 'high end' Jewellery range has taken a big hit on Gemporia now. The Cavill & Co range seemed to have pushed the Lorique range to one side
It's almost as if whoever's in charge now hasn't a clue about their brands or history. As you say, Lorique used to be the best they offered - and, boy, have they had some absolute stunners in the past. With Cavill & Co now showcasing a wide variety of top grade stones, offering that smoked opal as a Lorique is almost self-destructive and taking the p*ss. (And while we're on Lorique, I so hate it when Emily describes anything with SI clarity as being "Lorique" calibre. FFS. 😤)

Completely agree. The quality of the stones has gone down - significantly and the prices have risen - significantly.

The baffling thing for me is that the price rises weren't even gradual. They seemed to just go up overnight.
The increase in prices is, I agree, stark. Even remembering that TGGC is just a profit-seeking enterprise, which along with all others relies on the ordinary person believing that prices "just go up" in the same way that grass grows, I still find it utterly grotesque when Emily subtly links the very recent cost of living increases to their stupid price hikes. In what way is the price hike of essentials in any way responsible for ridiculous increases in prices for jewellery and coloured rocks?!

The stark reduction in quality and range is also remarkable. Recent showcases have been mediocre at best - the dregs of their sphene, the opaque grandidierite, the irradiated zircon & morganite and, at the weekend, the tiny pale dregs of Yianni's Cherry Blossom Morganite that are probably also available on Jewellery Maker.

Yeah that was me. I think the whole 'high end' Jewellery range has taken a big hit on Gemporia now. The Cavill & Co range seemed to have pushed the Lorique range to one side - however, the other day, they did do a Lorique show - and I was shocked to see that they had set SMOKED Ethiopian Opals into 18k gold and were selling them for £2000.

He could have his annoyances (repeated stale jokes, far-fetches long-winded stories, etc), but Alex was Gem Collector. It died the day he left.

Emily loves the sound of her own voice too much, and Jim sells on Gem Collector like he would on Gems TV.

Nick is great. He is perfect for Gem Collector. Knowledgeable but calm. Doesn't have to be the centre of attention. He just cracks on with it. I've said it numerous times before, but the best presenters that ever presented on Gem Collector were Alex, Nick, Lara De-Leuw and Katie Ho.

They also still claim to be the "World's largest gem store" - yet the same stones are repeated day in, day out, because there isn't much stock.

They used to have a huge, varied range of stock 10 years ago, with stones that you can't get anywhere else - but these days, it's just constant Sphene, Tanzanite, and whatever cheap Jasper or Agate they manage to buy by the shipping container full.

GemSelect have thousands of stones in stock - and I would say they're a far bigger gem store than GC these days.

I know what you mean. Gem Collector used to be quite fun to watch even if you wasn't buying anything. Whether it was to listen to Alex's latest far-fetched story, Nick telling us about the latest book he's read, or Lara and Katie's sense of humour. The presenters were knowledgeable - but also quite interesting.

Emily just constantly giggles - and Jim has gone over in Gems TV salesman mode. It just has no appeal at all.

None of the presenters are perfect, but Jeff is still by far the most watchable. He's the most genuine/honest - and I think he does the least amount of 'sales spin' he can get away with without being given a wrist slap by management. He at least breaks things up by telling stories about his mischievous cat or his dad's complaints about his cooking. He doesn't resort to waffling, reminding everyone how to buy every 2 minutes, saying "Absolutely" 300 times an hour, or repeatedly telling us that "Ethel from Edinburgh has got 17, Kate from Kings Lynn has 9 - and Christine from Northampton has sent in her 8th crappy poem of the hour. Good luck to each and every one of you, well done!"

Absolutely.
Your comments are so true and what you say about Gem Collector dying the day Alex left says it all. I had my issues with him, he did get on my nerves with the protracted so-called 'stories' and obsession with the USA, but I give the guy credit for knowing his stuff, and you're right about Nick, he has a calm, restrained manner and reminds me of Matt McNamara, who was the same. I can't comment about Lara or Katie, I never saw either of them on GC.

Perhaps they should move Ellis to GC and then she could show us 1,000 'how to buy' videos per hour.

Your comments are so true and what you say about Gem Collector dying the day Alex left says it all. I had my issues with him, he did get on my nerves with the protracted so-called 'stories' and obsession with the USA, but I give the guy credit for knowing his stuff, and you're right about Nick, he has a calm, restrained manner and reminds me of Matt McNamara, who was the same. I can't comment about Lara or Katie, I never saw either of them on GC.

Perhaps they should move Ellis to GC and then she could show us 1,000 'how to buy' videos per hour.
Out the door would be better.

As you say, Lorique used to be the best they offered
Don't forget the Arthur Ivy collection ;)
In what way is the price hike of essentials in any way responsible for ridiculous increases in prices for jewellery and coloured rocks?!
Not making light of it, but regardless of cheapness or otherwise of jewellery et al, why would folk prioritise something as 'frivolous' as jewellery over bills and sustanance? NOT talking investments ;)

Move Ellis to GC and bring back Jim Brooman!
If they've any brains in Gemporia 'management' why don't they use them!

Cavill style presentations are good, though. Set price and whip through 20 nice rocks. They are lovely compared to the cookie cutter ring designs in the lower value end. They need an in between level that has diamond accents and heavier gold weight that sells for around £400-£500. They need to focus more on showing the jewelry on presenters (rather than pre recorded loops) and talking about the gems and settings. Compared to QVC UK or the Australian TVSN, the “GIA qualified” presenters come across as poorly versed in their craft. Like a casual sales assistant working a random department at M&S. They need to cut the bs sales pitch, patronising spiels and yelling as it drives customers away. I love Jeff and midnight shows are the only ones worth watching if you need to buy something. Either get it off the wheel or send in a code for a discount. Gem collector and Gemporia could actually come under the one channel. Don’t need 6 hours of loose gems that are not worth much.

They need to focus more on showing the jewelry on presenters (rather than pre recorded loops)
The thing with that is they either 'overdo' it. 12 bracelets on the one wrist, usually the same: the infamous multi-buy, or if they are different you can't see them 'as' individuals. That, or regarding rings, they keep sliding round coz they're too big.

The thing with that is they either 'overdo' it. 12 bracelets on the one wrist, usually the same: the infamous multi-buy, or if they are different you can't see them 'as' individuals. That, or regarding rings, they keep sliding round coz they're too big.
Couldn’t agree more. Particularly with pendants and earrings. Fed up trying to gauge size from presenters showing them on their hands. We need to see them in situ to know how they will look.. Jeff does often do this with pendants but the others rarely. Personally I think those see through plastic things they used to hold up to their ears gave a reasonable idea and I don’t like to buy something after it’s been in someone’s ear. Also the multiple rings and bracelets thing is VERY irritating. . Multi buy multi buy

Don’t know what’s going on re Lyndsey’s make up today but it’s atrocious. She’s just as bad as ever. She’s just come out with “ Literally” and that’s all… Nothing after that lol. They’re flogging some very overpriced jewellery but for me the quatrefoils are awkwardly big and there’s no finesse at all. They’re making direct comparisons with the original company, Van Cleef. Dave also keeps saying “the reality is….”.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. Particularly with pendants and earrings. Fed up trying to gauge size from presenters showing them on their hands. We need to see them in situ to know how they will look.. Jeff does often do this with pendants but the others rarely. Personally I think those see through plastic things they used to hold up to their ears gave a reasonable idea and I don’t like to buy something after it’s been in someone’s ear. Also the multiple rings and bracelets thing is VERY irritating. . Multi buy multi buy
Most of my mother's jewellery from there is via me. BUT, one occasion, she decided she wanted some studs to match her Ruby ring. She ended up buying, of her own accord, red opals: not same, I know, but the colour was similar. She needed binoculars to see the stones. They were very nice, but tiny! I think the earrings they use on set are studio samples, so not for sale.

Side note, talking of studio samples, I remember seeing a couple of samples: I think it was on JM and the thread / plastic strand holder was either so stretched or the strand was shorter than it should have been. The presenter physically had to push the beads forward so she could hide the excess. Then another that had a chunk out of one stone on the thread.

And that company LIVES for multi buy. And they choose 'for' multi buy, not really cheap items. £300 necklace, just on. 'Someone' bought 3. £150 bracelet and they 'suggested' buying 3 to make a necklace. Buy two versions of the earrings so you can wear one of each colour in either ear. All from the same presentation, 'just now'.

Probably said this somewhere here, but sieve and memory come to mind, and here is as good as any place to 're-write' if it is, but there are some presenters who are disliked because they are generally annoying: voice, attitude, demeanor, pushiness, whatever and there are those, and speaking for myself, I'd include Lindsey in this part of the statement, they are not 'that bad' as people, BUT they are so unprofessional or should that be amateurish? And considering they are for the most part long-term employees they should have improved past that status, and for a company that amazingly has reached two decades operation, 'they' should have enough knowledge to sort those things out. But noooooo. OR they just don't care, which, sadly is more than likely the case.

Latest posts

Back