London 2012

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

David Beckham on the spead boat looked so cheesy. Loved the flame but gawd it was on so late and i wanted to go the bed.

Completely bonkers, of course, but very British and very clever in that it used a minimum of spoken language, so it would have been fairly accessible to a global audience.

I was a touch worried, though, when the History of Britain section started, about how we'd be perceived.

The only comparison I could make was with those Eurovision film vignettes we see between acts. You know, that really naff bit usually involving women in headscarves and dirndl skirts dancing round a hurdy-gurdy in some country with turrets.
I had visions of half the world rolling its eyes and crossing the UK off its 'places to visit' list.

Once it settled into its stride, though, I thought it was terrific. Loved the Daniel Craig bit with the Queen, the corgis and the helicopter. Especially the corgis.
Well I stuck with it and have to say it built into a very impressive show after such a cheesey start, and Sublime you have hit the nail on the head with the comments I have highlighted, I hated all of those naff bits. :rolleyes: Daniel Craig and Queenie was a touch of genius and Rowan Atkinson was fab, he can say so much without saying anything at all. :clapping: Huge mistake was Macca :doh: he's an embarrassment now and dear God let this be the very last time he's wheeled out for any GB event. :wonder: It all came togetrher for me when Steve Redgrave carried the torch into the stadium (just wish he'd been in his lycra gear :tongue:) and the lighting of the cauldron looked technically perfect and was just AMAZING!!! :mysmilie_378:The fireworks were SPECTACULAR and beat Beijing hands down imo. So pleased to admit I was wrong.

I hated the Beatles and could never understand all the screaming girls but appreciated a few of their songs. Sir Paul should have retired gracefully years ago, his performance at the Diamond Jubilee celebrations was bad enough but tonight's attempt was even more ridiculous!

lol Busy that made me smile. I saw the Beatles a few times live but wasn't a screamer and actually told some girls off for screaming because I couldn't hear. Stupid me but they were screaming in my ear. lol

There were a couple of stunning moments, the forging of the rings and the torch rising. Thought the James Bond/Queen skit was a giggle, but apart from that it was pretty naff. Shame Fred Dibner couldn't be there, he would have a field day!

That green mound with the flags and Seb Coe just made me think of the Teletubbies garden with the pretty flowers and bunnies running around. I did try to put it out of my mind but I kept expecting Tinky Winky to pop up and say "Elllo":nod:

That green mound with the flags and Seb Coe just made me think of the Teletubbies garden with the pretty flowers and bunnies running around. I did try to put it out of my mind but I kept expecting Tinky Winky to pop up and say "Elllo":nod:

Lol Mam!
That image of the opening ceremony will always be stuck in my mind now

There were a couple of stunning moments, the forging of the rings and the torch rising.
The torch rising was awesome and made viewing until the end worthwhile. No matter what the world thought about the rest of it this moment eclipsed all previous Olympics imho. :happy:

That's when I initially lost the will....:doh:

I thought the Queen looked very glum most of the time, barely raising a smile even at the start. I cringed for her when the camera focused on her picking her nails when Team GB entered the parade. A royal faux pas?

I thought the Queen looked very glum most of the time, barely raising a smile even at the start. I cringed for her when the camera focused on her picking her nails when Team GB entered the parade. A royal faux pas?

I thought exactly the same DD. Prince Philip looked like he'd nodded off too!

As a show I thought it was brilliant other than those cringey early moments (yes mam, I too thought of Tinkywinky and co.), but politically it was dreadful. Why are we bragging to the world about our NHS, Armed Forces and heavy industry when we've detroyed, or are in the throes of destroying, them. Really jingoistic, I thought the Olympics was about all FIVE of the continents not just us. Brilliant show, awful sentiments. xxxxxxxxxx

queen.jpg

She's the image of Queen Mary, her grandmother!

Probably long after the old girl's bedtime and she was wishful thinking about curling up with a cup of cocoa and a copy of Horse & Hounds.

I thought exactly the same DD. Prince Philip looked like he'd nodded off too!
The old sod probably had.

I stayed up and watched the whole show.....loved it loved it...apart from Macca. Why is he the best that GB can do?? Never did get him...and that blooming song!!!

Torch lighting was well worth staying up for. Good job done imo x

The torch was just stupendous! - doubt that will ever be surpassed. I wasn't sure the rest of the world would have got the gist about some of it though and I would have liked to have seen much more of a UK theme. Seems to have gone well generally, so good on us and Danny Boyle :handshake:

I enjoyed the opening ceremony overall but like most have already said Macca was a disaster,did'nt know who Arctic Monkeys were and I thought a very sad moment when Mohamad Ali was wheeled out he certainly did'nt look like he knew what was going on ,as for the Queen and Prince Phillip I think we should all remember they are in their 80's and 90's so not surprising they look knackered I had a job to stay awake meself but the flame bit I thought was terrific at the end and worth staying up for,all we need now is a few gold medals come on GB

Very British.....

Thinking it was due to start at 9pm I missed the actual beginning! I enjoyed the overall spectacle but now having read the full programme realised that the BBC camerawork missed certain things....or I wasn't watching closely enough. But the themes of tribute to ordinary people whether hard working country folk as in 'Lark rise to Candelford' introduction, factory workers in the dark Satanic mills, the staff and patients at the Gt Ormond St Hospital etc were interesting. But portraying British humour in the jokes came off best with Mr Bean and James Bond, apparently that was filmed some months ago. The royal corgis did well.

I liked the concept of a 'petal' from each country being linked to form the cauldron, seeing that light up was spectacular. Just a shame that HR looked so glum and when Macca came on....well...time for bed!

Shame about the road race today, Team GB must be very disappointed. Good to see Kazakhstan win though, Sacha Baron Cohen must be hysterical!

Yeah, they're on the map now and people will know it's a real country at last - lol. It was a good win and quite touching. If we had to lose I'm glad it was to Vinokourov, such a gentle gent and an opportunity well spotted. I do hope it's more misreporting, but I heard on the news that Cavendish is blaming the other teams and saying they would do anything (including lose) rather than let GB through to win. If it is true, what bad losing, the Olympics is where we got the phrase "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts". xxxxxxxx

Yeah, they're on the map now and people will know it's a real country at last - lol. It was a good win and quite touching. If we had to lose I'm glad it was to Vinokourov, such a gentle gent and an opportunity well spotted. I do hope it's more misreporting, but I heard on the news that Cavendish is blaming the other teams and saying they would do anything (including lose) rather than let GB through to win. If it is true, what bad losing, the Olympics is where we got the phrase "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts". xxxxxxxx

It wasn't misreporting Argey, Mark did say that when being interviewed. I know absolutely nothing about this particular sport but I think there is a lot of "helping each other" with tactics, etc. I don't want this to sound like 'sour grapes' but I reckon some of the competing teams took great pleasure from the fact that Team GB weren't going to take the gold or any medal for that matter on home soil.

I love the Opening Ceremony, the flame lighting was fabulous! Could have done without Macca, hopefully him messing up last night will mean he won't be invited to anything again!!!!

I watched the tennis this afternoon then some swimming and now gymnastics!!!

Latest posts

Back