L'Occitane TSV - 09/09/12

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's not easy sometimes is it? As my jokey comments hint my feet aren't good left to their own devices. Even with a lot of looking after I can still get small cracks in the skin on my heel. Left alone they will become much larger and even bleed making it painful to walk. I'm not happy about them losing their bunny but as Burlz has just pointed out there are leather handbags in my wardrobe. Hell I just bought Marta Jonsson shoes too!

And I'm not a vegetarian. I muddle along in this life trying to make the right choices like most of us.

It is hard, i have leather bags and leather shoes etc., but since reading all those things, i cant mention here,
has made me determined to do my bit, cosmetics, household stuff, etc, and i have kipling bags i can use.
So i"m trying, maybe not enough, but everything helps, and its a start

All we can do is try. We can never be certin about everything. I don`t 100% know that my knickers weren`t made in an Indian sweatshop or every piece of jewellery I own didn`t have the stones mined or cut by child labour etc. We can monitor our purchases as best as we can but it`s down to the individual companies and countries to monitor their morals and ethics. We have the luxury of making choices, sadly many people in the world don`t have that luxury, they either work for such companies or starve.

I agree. Of course many of these items are manufactured in China, the home of cheap labour and lack of employment rights. Whether its potential animal cruelty (which I do my best to avoid), leather shoes or goods made by exploited workers, it's very difficult to be an ethical shopper 100% of the time. I try where I can but will be the first to concede that I am unlikely to give up my love of Apple products even though I know full well working conditions are appalling at Apple factories in China.

I do try and do my bit where I can but realise that I cannot and won't do it 100% all of the time. I admire those who can and do.

I agree, it's hard not to be 100% ethical. but it's easy to avoid making comments designed to make people bad for buying a hand cream or a fake fur coat when most people do what they can.

Last edited:
Despite what anyone might think, my earlier post was not 'designed to make people feel bad', it simply came straight from the heart. Yes I'm an animal lover, and against animal cruelty. No I'm not a vegetarian either and yes I do have leather shoes and handbags. As long as animals are being slaughtered as a food source there will always be by products. That's not a justification of my position just a statement of fact. I find it barbaric that in some parts of the world animals are slaughtered not for food but solely for their skins or fur. If I find that animals are being slaughtered solely for the production of leather goods and other such 'luxuries', my shoes and handbag habit would be curtailed - that's the absolute truth, I don't make that comment lightly.

It was once I started looking into the cruelty free arena for beauty products that I went 'cold turkey' and decided to buy only beauty and household products that were certified cruelty free. Since many manufacturers make very ambiguous statements about animal testing, as I've said on other posts, I only buy from brands that are listed on the GoCrueltyFree website - http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/
As has been mentioned on other posts too, L'Occitane did have cruelty free certification which was revoked owing to their decision to sell in China where legislation demands products are tested on animals before being allowed in the Chinese market. So a case of yet another company tossing aside their principles for the sake of commercial gain.

As a total beauty/makeup/toiletries product junkie - I probably had as many beauty products in my cupboard as a department store beauty hall - in going cruelty free I thought I'd find it a real struggle, but that's not been the case at all. I have found some great substitutes that I prefer to the products I was using before. Don't get me wrong, there are products I've missed (Jo Malone colognes, Emma Hardie moringa balm) but I felt that if I waivered for one 'must have' product, it could be the start of a slippery slope, so I've stuck to my guns.

There are clearly a lot of animal lovers on this forum, judging by the many moggy avatars, and comments by forum members doing their bit. So you might be interested in supporting a campaign calling for the animal testing ban to go ahead in 2013 - http://www.nocruelcosmetics.org/sign_up.php - link here if anyone wants to sign the petition.

And you might be interested by this - I must admit I was shocked when I learned that the UK government was contemplating adopting an EU directive to allow experiments on stray cat and dogs, but thankfully the UK government has decided not to change the existing ban. http://www.buav.org/article/1072/bu...the-use-of-stray-cats-and-dogs-in-experiments.

By the way, none of the links above direct you to shocking pictures of animals, I wouldn't do that - I've always been a bit wary myself of visiting websites supporting animal campaigns.

I'm sorry, but to say that leather is just a coincidental by product of the meat industry may help to salve people's feelings of guilt but is just naive.

Cows are slaughtered for their flesh and their hide. One is not a by product of the other. We perpetuate the industry by buying either product. Please be honest with yourselves.

Spartacus, i checked out and Emma Hardie products are not tested on animals. I"m doing my best with cosmetics, household stuff, etc, and
its a minefield out there. We can all only do what we feel comfortable with, every little helps

BurlyBear, my comment on shoes and handbags was not made to salve a conscience, simply an acknowledgement of your comment on lulu guinness bags. Perhaps there is an element of naievity, i was certainly naieve thinking a company stating they did not test their product on animals meant they were cruelty free. Whereas it could mean they didnt test but they paid someone else to, or while the finished product wasnt tested the raw ingredients were.

SparklyBarbs, thanks for that on Emma Hardie. A few months back i emailed qvc to ask about her products. Give them their due, a week or two later they replied saying they had checked and EH were investigating cruelty free certification. I imagine the approval process would take some time as companies own policies and that of their suppliers/supply chain are subject to audits for compliance, but i check the go cruelty free website regularlybecause they always announce when they approve a new comapny.

Am not sure this will be the TSV as someone on FB asked Alexis if there was Verbena in the upcoming TSV and the reply was

"if you like the verbena and you like the classic Shea Butter hand cream you are definitily going to LOVE the TSV!! That I can promise you!!"

Your probably right Sazza, I was thinking this was more like a hot pick
or one of them special kits like they did for the chelsea flower show

I love the Verbena but the last set in the AD was verbena and contained the shea butter hand cream

Not liking this if it is the TSV, not keen on the itsy bitsy TSVs where everything is in travel size. Would love to see QVC and L'Occitane introduce more of their skin care range

Not on website now

and I thought there was something about shea hand cream?
Maybe they are selling the March TSV that had the verbena on AD in June

God knows how many present combinations for members of your family they are going to think of with this,I hate the way the presenters tell us how to divide things up as if we can't do it on our own,not that I would ever do it anyway.
Lynn

Well I have the old one on my iPhone and the new one on my PC. I've had the new one on my phone but it's gone back to the old one. Last week I think. It's very odd having both.

Latest posts

Back