Liz Earle, really?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wornoutcreditcard

Registered Shopper
A friend recently bought me the liz Earle body orange body wash, it's heavenly with a gorgeous scent, it doesnT dry my skin. I was all happy and righteous feeling when I first used it, believing it to be a 100% small British company, non corporate ethos and ethical standard. Well, imagine how go smacked I was when my friend told me the Liz Earle company was bought by Avon. I shouldn't be disappointed because business is business and all about money for most companies. Still love the product but wish the Qvc guests, like the one on now, would stop going on about the company being a uk non-corporate family run outfit because it no longer is.

I bet she gets away with saying this because Liz does still have a connection to the Liz Earle Beauty Co.

Taken from lizearlewellbeing.com

"What is your connection now to the Liz Earle Beauty Co.?
Liz: I am enormously proud of Liz Earle Beauty Co and its incredibly talented and inspiring team. My co-founder Kim and I decided to hand over the reins to a larger organisation with business experience around the globe, to grow the brand and fly the flag around the world. Avon acquired the brand back in March 2010, having committed to preserving our original ethos of creating brilliant products combined with great customer service. Although Kim and the other stakeholders have moved on, I’m still connected to the company and continue to work as a consultant to the brand alongside my new venture Liz Earle Wellbeing and my charity, Live Twice. So you’ll find plenty of references to it here – and lots more besides. However, this website is completely independent from Liz Earle Beauty Co."

This statement was issued from liz earle company in December 2012:

"We'd like to reassure you that although Liz Earle was sold to Avon in 2010 we continue to operate as a stand alone independent beauty brand. Our philosophy, principles and products have remained true to the original core philosophy over the past 17 years. With regards to your concerns on Animal testing, our position has always been clear... We just don't do it!"

Hmmm... Thanks for the info, I am a bit sceptical about the animal testing tho. Can they really supervise the provenance of every single ingredient on such a large scale? No SLS really? I hope so. Anyhoo the image in the QVC promos of a bunch of ladies sipping tea on the beach in the Isle of Wight discussing cleanse and polish isn't realistic , if it ever was. Apparently Catherine Huntley is a LE devotee, so I'm willing to believe anything she says about the brand

Catherine Huntley has said in the last week on air she uses lots of different brands.

I bet she gets away with saying this because Liz does still have a connection to the Liz Earle Beauty Co.

Taken from lizearlewellbeing.com

"What is your connection now to the Liz Earle Beauty Co.?
Liz: I am enormously proud of Liz Earle Beauty Co and its incredibly talented and inspiring team. My co-founder Kim and I decided to hand over the reins to a larger organisation with business experience around the globe, to grow the brand and fly the flag around the world. Avon acquired the brand back in March 2010, having committed to preserving our original ethos of creating brilliant products combined with great customer service. Although Kim and the other stakeholders have moved on, I’m still connected to the company and continue to work as a consultant to the brand alongside my new venture Liz Earle Wellbeing and my charity, Live Twice. So you’ll find plenty of references to it here – and lots more besides. However, this website is completely independent from Liz Earle Beauty Co."

Both the founders, Liz Earle and Kim Buckland, resigned from the company on September 25, 2012.

Liz Earle isn't the only QVC brand that promotes an image that maybe isn't as it seems. Skagen isn't and never has been a Danish brand/company? The designers live and work in the US. Skagen is now owned by Fossil so its most certainly not this unique Danish watch design company.

I like Liz Earle and Skagen but things are often not as we might think.

Both the founders, Liz Earle and Kim Buckland, resigned from the company on September 25, 2012.

On Twitter, just the other day (12th) @lizearle tweeted this:
"Liz is still connected to the company and works as a consultant for the brand. She is balancing her time between Liz Earle Beauty Co and her personal interests."

For a while now I have been in two minds about stopping using Liz Earle products because I don't like the misleading way they are being sold. It is so wrong of Avon to keep on promoting it as a British brand and the QVC adverts could almost be in trouble with the Trades Description. I really hate the way LE is portrayed as almost a cottage industry with people sat all happy around a pine table in the sunny Isle Of Wight. I just think it is so wrong and deceitful. On the packaging and in the LE newsletters which I receive there is no mention of Avon whatsoever.

It is quite a dilemma for me because I really do like the products and they have been great for my skin and would miss using them. I do however also love Elemis products. Does anyone know if they are owned by any big company? They keep harping on about being a 'British Spa Brand' but I honestly don't know if they are. I am fed up being taken for a ride really.

Unfortunately for us it is not the only brand that isn't what it seems in terms of independent ownership.

Bobbi Brown - Estee Lauder (who also own Ojon and Smashbox)
Decleor - Sisedo
Liz Earle - Avon
Lulu's Timebomb - Part of the Frieda company
Elemis - Part of the Steiner Group
Gatineau - Revlon

Can't think of any others now.

I only use Liz Earle for the perfumes, the hand wash and the body products. I've never been a fan of the face products. I am actually looking forward too the new range officially being released too.

Unfortunately for us it is not the only brand that isn't what it seems in terms of independent ownership.

Bobbi Brown - Estee Lauder (who also own Ojon and Smashbox)
Decleor - Sisedo
Liz Earle - Avon
Lulu's Timebomb - Part of the Frieda company
Elemis - Part of the Steiner Group
Gatineau - Revlon

Can't think of any others now.

I knew most of these, but I never knew that Gatineau was owned by Revlon. You learn something every day. Thanks NP.

Thanks Mr M. If I wasn't in the job I do now, I'd probably be smothering someone in creams and balms all day as I'm a bit of a beauty junkie lol :)

I remember having my hair done in the Steiner salon in town in the early 80s. There was a poster on the wall that showed ' Elemis natural skincare' by Linda Steiner.
There was a small selection of these on a stand near the door. It all looked very different to how it is now, basic moisturiser and such like. So it seems like it started small, and possibly independent, I don't know, and ended up as we know it today.

Does anyone on here buy avon products? I only ask because I wondered if Liz Earle is in their brochures.
If not, how are they moving LE products into new places?

I did have an Avon lady, bought rarely and then she gave it up late last year. No LE not in the Avon catalogues, though they did their own version of C&P at one point.

Liz Earle has been moved into larger Boots and they do the party planner thing as well(the Ann Summers idea, have a party a few glasses of wine and the rep sells the products), so Avon have pushed the brand out there more. I believe it was in some John Lewis only before the sell out.

On Twitter, just the other day (12th) @lizearle tweeted this:
"Liz is still connected to the company and works as a consultant for the brand. She is balancing her time between Liz Earle Beauty Co and her personal interests."

What is that pink thing in the sky?!

I don't think they are in there brochures, but I only buy the bits I want direct from LE or if there is a really good TSV/kit on Q. Not sure about the logistics of the takeover. Never quite understood how buying a company but still letting them be stand alone and not profit financially (LE insist that all profits from the sales go directly back into LE), works. Avon get to have LE on their portfolio so to speak.

Latest posts

Back