liz earle perfume bombed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I too have read the reviews.... big yikes... not what LE would want just before Xmas ......of all times of the year..... I wonder if QVC will drop this item?

Just out of curiosity I spritzed a bit on one of those little cards when I was in Peter Jones yesterday. I thought it was quite nice - subtle but with some depth. Nothing to write home about, but I have smelt far worse :thinking2: Probably niche market rather than mass market which is where Liz may have gone a bit wrong. :wave2:

Judging from the posts on this thread and on the QVC website, this seems a love or hate it fragrance. I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not really after a new perfume, but I am curious now! I am running low on C&P, so I will need to put an order in in the next few weeks, and I really hope to get a sample with my order. I certainly would not order it without trying it first.

i wont bother ordering this from the reviews, i just placed an order on the liz earle website so im hoping for a sample i should have requested on really, would have been nice to have one in the xmas gift newsletter

I think i'll just spray the instant boost all over. much nicer and cheaper

Exactly, I love the scent of that!

I love Instant Boost Tonic too.

I was kinda expecting that Liz would have a similar scent in her perfume, something quite different, and not a 'proper' perfume as it was.

It beggers belief that she would not send out samples to her regular customers.

I wasn't impressed by this one either. Tried it in JL the other night. At first I got a very strong lemony smell. The SA asked if I liked it and I said I wasn't sure but had read that the fragrance did change once it had settled down. She agreed that this was so and suggested I leave it for 15 mins and then smell again. Within probably 5 mins the smell had all but evaporated leaving me with a very faint (almost undetectable) hint of musk. Very disappointing.

That's what I smelt, 'lemon' and a faint smell of dare I say 'cut grass'? It did change slightly after a while but I wouldn't buy it. Just not for me at all.

I was going to get one from JL for my friend's birthday because she loves liz earle and nice perfumes. Don't think I'll bother now, I'll get her something else instead.

Thing is, I'm only going off what people say on here because my computer for some reason stopped access to the QVC website the other day so I can't even read the reviews

I might have to try this. I absolutely looooooove Diorella but it's hard to find. One (young!) girly on a Dior counter said she had never heard of it!!!!!!! BTW I'm 43 - does that make me an 'old lady'????!

No! I'm 53 and ever since my teens I have stuck to 3 perfumes, all french classics. Chanel No.5, Diorella and Rive Gauche by YSL. I have tried others but never been tempted. I'm at my worst in the duty-free at Gatwick - I end up with 6 or 7 samples of perfume up my arms but none ever quite hits the spot.

Linda :angel:

No! I'm 53 and ever since my teens I have stuck to 3 perfumes, all french classics. Chanel No.5, Diorella and Rive Gauche by YSL. I have tried others but never been tempted. I'm at my worst in the duty-free at Gatwick - I end up with 6 or 7 samples of perfume up my arms but none ever quite hits the spot.

Linda :angel:

Maybe the spot is a bit higher up your arm?:tongue2:

It is a shame that LE has left so many disappointed folks, especially as so many are her true followers. I will have to have a spritz next time I am in JL. I used to like Diorella but it never lasted a long time on me. I use Chanel No5, Joy by Jean Patou and occasionally the original Miss Dior. I am 42 and have loved these for years. I am not a granny yet but I do love cats and am approaching the Tena Lady years - she says clenching as she laughs out loud! :)

After reading this post I rushed to JL for a try. Definately Diorella - so I bought it pdq! It does last on me and I love it. :clapping:

I don't like all the new perfumes though and usually stick to the classics. Lucky we don't all want to smell the same.

I have also tried Liz Earle's perfume but from LE Direct and unfortunatly I fine it absoulutly vile, My feelings are pretty much the same as many others it smells very heady and musky and reminds me too of grannies (no offence to grannies out there) and very old fashioned, plus it gave me a headache and I had to wash it off to get rid of it. However what I did want to say is I contacted LE customer care and explained that I didn't like it and it gave me a headache so cannot wear it and I am returning it for a refund so there is no need for anyone to be stuck with it.
I really hope Liz takes on board the comments on qvc's website and I am sure from her own CS and LE No 2 is fresher and lighter as she has dissapointed many of her longstanding customers.

Last edited:
The term old lady perfume really P***es off people on the perfume boards.

What happened in the early 90's a total change from the heady fragrances of the 80's and before ended. In came the aquatic Issey etc and since then this has been the main style of fragrance. So anything that smelt of classic fragrance become known as old lady. This meant it came from a generation before before. Strangely Chanel No5 is still worn and loved by thousand upon thousands of people, yet it was created way back in the 1920's. The trend seems to be changing from the watery non fragrances towards the classics again. Trouble is the industry is trying to create their version of what they think the classics should be.

LE is not niche and never will be. The true sense is a perfumer stepping outside the box and creating something very different from the mainstream.

Serge Lutens especially the Paris exclusives
Divine
Frederic Malle
Chanel Le Exclusives
Dawn Spencer Hurtwiz

These are niche in the true meaning.

Etro Messe de Minuit which smells like an ancient crypt, damp and even mouldy. Get pass and you get the patchouli and amber in there. Now that is niche.

Some of the great classics are over 100 years old and still produced because they sell. Jicky 1889 is still there, worn by men and women Sean Connery being one. Apres L'Ondee 1909, L'Heure Bleu 1914 and Mitsouko 1919. The latter is still considered the greatest chypre ever.

Creed Private Collection
created for Cary Grant, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly's wedding day, Marlene D, Natalie Woods, Errol Flynn.

Believe it or not there are over 1000 new perfumes released every year. Many disappear very quickly other go into the bargin bin. The industry is all about what is new and will sell, especially with the celeb name on it.

LE does not even figure and by the sound of it will disappear very quickly.

Oh and as for her not testing on animals for this fragrances. Every ingredient used in her No 1, will at some time in the past been tested on animals.

I wonder if QVC will change their returns policy on perfume. Looking at the reviews, so many are sending this item back, that they must be making a huge loss on it.

Items returned to qvc are at the expense of the supplier; QVC only loses the profit it would otherwise have made (they don't even lose the shipping costs); it's more likely a product is dropped or sold under a different item number (to lose the negative reviews).

J xx

Some pretty scathing reviews on qvc too,mainly the consensus is that it smells of old lady............an old lady perfume that is...not cats and wee!!
What is an 'old lady perfume' and what age group does it refer to exactly. What a bluddy insult to the older generation, you are implying we all wear awful perfume and I can assure you that is not the case.

What is an 'old lady perfume' and what age group does it refer to exactly. What a bluddy insult to the older generation, you are implying we all wear awful perfume and I can assure you that is not the case.

I don't know what this is myself,the only scent I think of as being ever so slightly of a certain generation is lavender,however having said that,i'm young-ish and one of my favourite Jo Malone scents is amber and lavender.

I wish some of the old ladies I have encountered in my time DID smell of perfume.:thinking2:

The term old lady perfume really P***es off people on the perfume boards.

What happened in the early 90's a total change from the heady fragrances of the 80's and before ended. In came the aquatic Issey etc and since then this has been the main style of fragrance. So anything that smelt of classic fragrance become known as old lady. This meant it came from a generation before before. Strangely Chanel No5 is still worn and loved by thousand upon thousands of people, yet it was created way back in the 1920's. The trend seems to be changing from the watery non fragrances towards the classics again. Trouble is the industry is trying to create their version of what they think the classics should be.

LE is not niche and never will be. The true sense is a perfumer stepping outside the box and creating something very different from the mainstream.

Serge Lutens especially the Paris exclusives
Divine
Frederic Malle
Chanel Le Exclusives
Dawn Spencer Hurtwiz

These are niche in the true meaning.

Etro Messe de Minuit which smells like an ancient crypt, damp and even mouldy. Get pass and you get the patchouli and amber in there. Now that is niche.

Some of the great classics are over 100 years old and still produced because they sell. Jicky 1889 is still there, worn by men and women Sean Connery being one. Apres L'Ondee 1909, L'Heure Bleu 1914 and Mitsouko 1919. The latter is still considered the greatest chypre ever.

Creed Private Collection
created for Cary Grant, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly's wedding day, Marlene D, Natalie Woods, Errol Flynn.

Believe it or not there are over 1000 new perfumes released every year. Many disappear very quickly other go into the bargin bin. The industry is all about what is new and will sell, especially with the celeb name on it.

LE does not even figure and by the sound of it will disappear very quickly.

Oh and as for her not testing on animals for this fragrances. Every ingredient used in her No 1, will at some time in the past been tested on animals.

I don't like those sweet "Britney" style fragrances, so perhaps the LE may be worth a punt. I like Acqua Di Parma Colonia in the bottle; but it doesn't last that well on me.

One thing: I find that if I persist a little with a perfume I don't automatically like, it will often grow on me. I once bought a bottle of Bobbi Brown "Baby" on a whim. The first day, I couldn't wait to get home and wash it off; but after a couple of weeks it was a favourite. :thinking2:

Latest posts

Back