liz earle perfume bombed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Took a walk up to John Lewis this lunchtime to have a squirt.

Liked the initial lemony smell but on me it turned into old-lady-whose-had-the-perfume-for-decades-and-only-uses-it-on-special-occasions pong!

As many have said so far removed from what you would expect a Liz Earle scent to smell like.

2 weeks on I still love it. You have to remember it smells differently on everyone-there are perfumes I love on other people which smell awful on me. This one doesn't. I have been in hospital this week and had loads of nurses-and one doctor!- ask me what I was wearing. Some of the nurses even had a squirt! Why slag something off just because YOU don't like it? There are loads of things people rave about on here that I thing 'eh?' about (suarti silver, diamonique,kanban,molton brown,most northern nights,easi yo,tova perfume,philosophy, handbags with loads of 'bling' to name a few)but that doesn't mean it's rubbish,just that it's not my thing. My daughter loves 'daisy' perfume, when I smell it on her it smells like garlic to me,but she loves it lol! I think she will have enough customers that love it to make it viable,and unlike a lot of companies she does offer a mbg even when bought from her own website so no risk there either.

QVC reviews are getting worse. It's only 2.9 now - it was 3.7 last week!

It's heartening to see that all the bad reviews are going on the website. For a range like LE, it must hurt a bit, but without the honest feedback, they won't get it right next time. Someone on there wrote that they thought all the negative feedback was unfair-but what is the point of a feedback forum if it isn't honest? Perfume is so personal, but we can only speak as we find-give out free samples next time and it won't happen, as if we don't like the sample, we won't bother with the full sized bottle-simple really!

2 weeks on I still love it. You have to remember it smells differently on everyone-there are perfumes I love on other people which smell awful on me. This one doesn't. I have been in hospital this week and had loads of nurses-and one doctor!- ask me what I was wearing. Some of the nurses even had a squirt! Why slag something off just because YOU don't like it? There are loads of things people rave about on here that I thing 'eh?' about (suarti silver, diamonique,kanban,molton brown,most northern nights,easi yo,tova perfume,philosophy, handbags with loads of 'bling' to name a few)but that doesn't mean it's rubbish,just that it's not my thing. My daughter loves 'daisy' perfume, when I smell it on her it smells like garlic to me,but she loves it lol! I think she will have enough customers that love it to make it viable,and unlike a lot of companies she does offer a mbg even when bought from her own website so no risk there either.

Surely the whole point of this forum is for people to write what they think without being offensive! I just find a 2.9 average review very interesting as I don't think any other LE product has less than 4. She must be a little disappointed that her first fragrance has done so poorly.

it does seem that people who like it are in the minority but we are all different which is what makes the world go round!!
I am glad qvc have posted the negative and positive reviews as sometimes the negative ones dont get posted

It's heartening to see that all the bad reviews are going on the website. For a range like LE, it must hurt a bit, but without the honest feedback, they won't get it right next time. Someone on there wrote that they thought all the negative feedback was unfair-but what is the point of a feedback forum if it isn't honest? Perfume is so personal, but we can only speak as we find-give out free samples next time and it won't happen, as if we don't like the sample, we won't bother with the full sized bottle-simple really!

I agree craftybel. And I suspect LE didn't give out free samples for the very reason you finish up with: 'we won't bother with the full sized bottle'. Looks like the batch was made, and come h*ll or high water, was going to have to be sold. LE will probably try really hard to get it right with subsequent No's of new perfumes, if she decides to carry on producing perfumes, that is!

There were a 1000 samples of the perfume to be won.........

I have only heard of a few people winning them (and I am lots of competition forums) and usually a comp with that many prizes has a list of winers easily found.

I was wondering why there were so few winners...........maybe they were concerned about people being put off buying the full size and didn't send out all the samples....?:giggle:

I cancelled my waitlist order. Too many bad reviews for something I might end up having to return and I didn't fancy taking the chance.
I was hoping it would smell like IB but it obviously doesn't.
I wonder if, after reading all the negative comments on this fragrance, she'll give the people what they want and make one that smell like the yummy skin tonic?
She'd sell shedloads.

I'm dying to sniff this now. Mind you, I was dying to sniff Tova's new Signature Platinum, so I ordered the Try Me - and it's awful. Whatever claims she makes for its ingredients, it smells 99% synthetic and soapy, and horribly 1970s - in a bad way. Surely LE has to be better than that?

I'm dying to sniff this now. Mind you, I was dying to sniff Tova's new Signature Platinum, so I ordered the Try Me - and it's awful. Whatever claims she makes for its ingredients, it smells 99% synthetic and soapy, and horribly 1970s - in a bad way. Surely LE has to be better than that?

One would hope so ATG!
Personally, I think that where LE has gone wrong is perhaps in trying to start off by creating a sort of you-know-what no. 5 of her very own & it was simply too much of a shock for most people, who, having been under the impression it was going to be something based around the IBST, just didn't 'get it' at all!

She would surely have been better off presenting her (hitherto!) adoring public with something they were already familiar with & were expecting, rather than a scent that was so out on a limb compared to the rest of her range?
Well that coupled with the fact it smells like 'old granny perfume' apparently - I dunno, I haven't smelt it myself yet! lol

How many of you all remember Liz's jewellery she sold on QVC?

Lets say it was not a massive hit and disappeared very quickly never to be mentioned.

I get the feeling the No1, will head the same way. Just quietly disappear. Hang on to your bottles they could actually be worth something by collector is years to come.

How many of you all remember Liz's jewellery she sold on QVC?

Lets say it was not a massive hit and disappeared very quickly never to be mentioned.

I get the feeling the No1, will head the same way. Just quietly disappear. Hang on to your bottles they could actually be worth something by collector is years to come.

I remember the jewellery,Donna :sleepy:
Didn't think it looked great on tv but thought I'd order some earrings in case they looked nicer in real life.
They didn't & went straight back & I rarely send anything back :angel:

That's crazy! Old Liz seems to be determined to be an entrepreneur no matter what! Well, ok Liz, now take out the parabens? oh, and while we're at it, let people know that citrus oils like lemon and bergamot are photosensitising, so don't spray them over your skin then sit out in the sun, um, ok?

One would hope so ATG!
Personally, I think that where LE has gone wrong is perhaps in trying to start off by creating a sort of you-know-what no. 5 of her very own & it was simply too much of a shock for most people, who, having been under the impression it was going to be something based around the IBST, just didn't 'get it' at all!

She would surely have been better off presenting her (hitherto!) adoring public with something they were already familiar with & were expecting, rather than a scent that was so out on a limb compared to the rest of her range?
Well that coupled with the fact it smells like 'old granny perfume' apparently - I dunno, I haven't smelt it myself yet! lol

That's what she did and successfully. Like C****l, the fragrance is distinctive to everything else sold in the high street. I am not sure why she wanted to go down this route, as it does not seem to be consistent with the LE business model and products. It was a shock to me too, that's why I said in a previous post 'try before you buy'.

It does not smell like 'old granny perfume'. It is classy (not contemporary) and for a change we get to try something different to all these ghastly eau de toilettes sold out there.

The fragrance of the LE tonic doesn't lend itself to a perfume (maybe a body mist), but I would have loved a variation of the fragrance of the superskin concentrate (oil).

Last edited:
Just to add: I do avoid parabens in products I use, but in autumn/winter do use Aveda Love, which has bergamot in it: it's a perfume oil and I just dab it behind my ears, on my chest under my t-shirt, and on my wrists. I think that's why perfumes seem to have winter associations - at least in my mind - and I think that's what to bear in mind with photosensitising oils, use them wisely ie not applied over your skin then exposing it to lots of sunshine in the summer! This is a real issue with perfumes, not just my witless raving: Eau Dynamisant, for example, declares that it is non-photosensitising; and I think you will find that 'older-fashioned' perfumes using bergamot and other such photosensitising oils, perhaps went out of fashion for that reason. Donna255 could enlighten, I'm sure!!

It does not smell like 'old granny perfume'. It is classy (not contemporary) and for a change we get to try something different to all these ghastly eau de toilettes sold out there.

My last line was a bit tongue in cheek WS, as I do not actually believe for one moment that it smells like 'old granny perfume' either! lol I fully intend to try it myself as it sounds very 'me' - I love C***** & don't care if it is considered a bit passe nowadays, no.5 has been around for yonks & still sells in tanker loads! lol
*glares defiantly in defence of perfumes with numbers in!* :grin:

The fragrance of the LE tonic doesn't lend itself to a perfume (maybe a body mist), but I would have loved a variation of the fragrance of the superskin face oil.

Well of course it doesn't & I thought she was probably heading for trouble when I first read this as people would be making their own assumptions as to how it would smell & consequently were going to be in for a bit of a shock at the resulting 'signature scent' they simply weren't prepared for! :flower:

Anyway, perfume is all about individuality & what suits, I hate the fashion aspect of it personally! (My sister, a strange little pixie like creature, still stuck in the late 70s/early 80s still wafts along through life smelling of Anais Anais I believe & couldn't give a stuff what anybody else thinks! lol) :flower:

The 'old granny' reference made me giggle, kitten. I did some Christmas shopping, yesterday, and one of the items bought was Red Door (Eliz Arden). The assistant asked whether I would like to try it and I swiftly said 'no thank you, I am buying it for my granny'. It is actually for my mum who is young, but is fascinated with this 'old granny' fragrance.

Just to add: I do avoid parabens in products I use, but in autumn/winter do use Aveda Love, which has bergamot in it: it's a perfume oil and I just dab it behind my ears, on my chest under my t-shirt, and on my wrists. I think that's why perfumes seem to have winter associations - at least in my mind - and I think that's what to bear in mind with photosensitising oils, use them wisely ie not applied over your skin then exposing it to lots of sunshine in the summer! This is a real issue with perfumes, not just my witless raving: Eau Dynamisant, for example, declares that it is non-photosensitising; and I think you will find that 'older-fashioned' perfumes using bergamot and other such photosensitising oils, perhaps went out of fashion for that reason. Donna255 could enlighten, I'm sure!!

Over the years quite a number of perfumes have been withdrawn and then released with a slightly different ingredients. This was due to the old may cause cancer if you sit out in the sun. But lets be real, how many spray on and go sunbathe???????? Of course the older fragrances say those from the 1960s and before could cause skin discolouration(sp), brown patches on the neck etc. As someone who avoids the sun like the plague, never happened to me. Most essential oils should not be applied neat to the skin anyway. Tea Tree and Lavender are the few that can be.

Oh and Liz does have parabens in her skincare, even has an explanation on her site about them.

Many thanks for the info Donna! My concern was that, what with the 'old granny' comments being made, perhaps the 1960s-type fragrance style (with the attendant skin discolouration etc issues) were perhaps coming back in with the likes of LE, and history was perhaps being forgotten. I know about essential oils not being safe to apply neat in many cases, but was concerned that even diluted in these EDPs there was a possible sensitisation issue raising it's head again. Like you, I tend to avoid the sun like the plague, at least during the summer peak of 11am-3pm!! Tend to wear a sun hat myself!! (And, personally, tend to put scent only onto skin not exposed to the light eg a spray on my chest and shoulders, which are always covered with a t-shirt and blouse on top of that!)

Yeah, I know Liz does the parabens and she does, give her her due, fess-up and defend herself on the issue, which is admirable of her. I wish she's take them out though!

Latest posts

Back